Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/31/2014 4:57:27 PM EDT
I'm somewhat new to AK's and have two SLR107FR's, SLR101, and a SAM7SF. You never know what the future may hold so what spare parts should I keep stock on?

I'm thinking a spare bolt carrier, bolt, and piston, gas tube, and recoil spring per rifle. Anything else? Also I believe all of these parts are interchangeable among my rifles correct?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Purchase  a spare FCG, a spare spring set, and maybe a spare extractor and firing pin for peace of mind. For the most part, AK parts don`t really break or need replacement. I say for the most part because I do remember reading a post where someone`s bolt carrier cracked where the piston was screwed into the bolt carrier. One was from a Century converted to 922 r compliant rifle, where the piston was welded to the bolt carrier, and one was from a Saiga. Replacing the recoil spring is probably a good idea, but I don`t recall ever seeing a preventative maintenance schedule for the AK`s recoil spring,  unlike the AR.

AK bolts need to be headspaced.  It is not just  a drop in replacement like the AR.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep complete spare bolts for my AK's, that way I can harvest parts off them if need be. I also keep a spare spring set and fcg around.
Like JGCWK08 said, AK bolts need to be head spaced, you might have a bad day if you just willy nilly drop a new bolt into one of your AKs.

That being said, I've only ever had to replace an extractor, all the other parts have been collecting dust, but better to have and not need.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top