Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2014 6:44:11 PM EDT
I've got a SLR 107 FR,  and after reading the manual, I've got a couple of questions.

At what distance are you guys checking/ sighting your rifles in at?  100 meters seems far if not impossible at an indoor range.  I may have some farmland I can use, but not sure yet.  I've read a lot of people say 25 meters is good to go? So I'm  looking for the general consensus.  Also, what do you set your rear sight on?

Also, the manual states clean the barrel from the muzzle to the chamber.  Everything about cleaning a barrel, I've read in the past, is the exact opposite,   Is this just if your in the field thing, or don't know how to break down the weapon?  Or, should it be done that way?

I thank you in advance, as my online access is limited these days.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that Arsenal laser bore sites their AK rifles. I would recommend going to an outdoor range, setting the rear sight to 100m, and checking the accuracy before you do any adjustments.
Most sight in 16" barrel assault rifles to 50 or 100, and SBR's to 25 or 50. For a 16" barrel AK, I prefer 100m. For an SBR AK, I prefer 50m.
Regardless of what the manual says on barrel cleaning, I do one pass with a Bore Snake from chamber to the muzzle. I coat the end of the snake with a little oil prior to doing it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe that Arsenal laser bore sites their AK rifles. I would recommend going to an outdoor range, setting the rear sight to 100m, and checking the accuracy before you do any adjustments.
Most sight in 16" barrel assault rifles to 50 or 100, and SBR's to 25 or 50. For a 16" barrel AK, I prefer 100m. For an SBR AK, I prefer 50m.
Regardless of what the manual says on barrel cleaning, I do one pass with a Bore Snake from chamber to the muzzle. I coat the end of the snake with a little oil prior to doing it.
View Quote

Yes, I start at 50 and move out to 100 after an initial adjustment.

As far as cleaning I use the bore snake as well.  I shoot some CLP from the breach to muzzle and let it drain, pass twice with the bore snake and then repeat.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the general procedure is to put the rear sight on the 100m setting and zero it at 100m. After that's done, you actually move the sight to the extreme rear position that has a Cyrillic character like a U or a P. That's the general battle setting that's good from 100m-300m.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Clean the barrel from the Chamber to muzzle using bore snake.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]
You can use the standard cleaning kit to clean from the muzzle end if you prefer using a rod rather than a pull-through.

The cap of the cleaning kit was designed as a cleaning rod guide. Slip it over the end of the cleaning rod, thread your patch holder onto the rod with a wet patch, then insert the tip of the patched rod into the bore. Slip the cleaning kit cap over the muzzle and then run the cleaning rod down the barrel until the patch holder comes out the breech end. Pull back, replace the patch holder with a brush and repeat about five times, which will loosen all the crud in the barrel. Replace brush with patch holder and run a wet patch again. The patch will be quite black (with a little blue if you used Hoppe's No. 9 copper solvent). Run patches until you get a clean one and you're done.

Spray the receiver out with WD-40 using the applicator tip to wash all the crud out of the nooks n' crannies.Use a GI toothbrush for stubborn crud and then spray out again to wash it away.

Clean the gas tube with a 20 gauge shotgun brush and some cleaning solvent.

I usually use carburetor cleaner to spray out the nooks and crannies, along with the gas system, but not on Bulgarian rifles - Carb cleaner will take the finish right off.

After cleaning, I soak the whole rifle in Breakfree CLP and set it in the sun or in a heated area for about an hour. Once that CLP gets into all the little cracks and crevices, I wipe down and place in the safe.

I've shot my blued AKs in driving rainstorms after this treatment, using the cheapest, crappiest mil-surp ammo imaginable, and I've never had one rust.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top