Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2014 5:47:29 AM EDT
In my research for a new AK ,  the Arsenal SLR 101s is always mentioned in discussions as being one of , if not the best base AK would could buy...period.   Anybody agree that this milled receivered AK lives up to the hype ?  I'm confused about it's production status ...is it or isn't it still being built ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#1]

The SLR 101 has been re-branded as the SAM7.  Apparently the current batch of SAM7 are the exact same as the SLR101s you could buy last year.  Milled bulgy.

I'm not the most knowledgeable guy on here, but the SLR101 is the nicest I have experience with.  Better trigger pull from the factory.  For me, I'm more accurate with irons with the SLR101 than a LE6920.  

There is a lot of buzz right now about the SLR107.  Plenty of testimonials that it is "the best AK, with the smartest configuration, ever."  Maybe.  It also happens to be the model Arsenal is shipping right now.  It is also some $400 cheaper than the SAM7.  For that $400 you get a milled receiver, better trigger, and maybe a tad more pride in ownership.  

Eighteen months ago, the SLR101 was selling at the same price that the SLR107 is going for now.  In another 18 months, I'd be surprised if the SLR107 isn't up to $1400.  

Practically speaking, both are excellent.  The SAM7 is a bit more polished NIB.  The SLR107 may require some trigger work.  Either one, IMO, is a top-rate choice as a primary SHTF (or what have you) rifle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The SLR 101 has been re-branded as the SAM7.  
View Quote
Are you sure? The SAM7 has always been an American made gun, built in Las Vegas. The 101 has always been a Bulgarian made gun [slim magwell for low cap mags], imported to Las Vegas where the magwell is hogged out to accept hi cap mags, & some US parts are added for 922 compliance. While both guns look similar, They are assembled on opposite sides of the world.  GARY
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are you sure? The SAM7 has always been an American made gun, built in Las Vegas. The 101 has always been a Bulgarian made gun [slim magwell for low cap mags], imported to Las Vegas where the magwell is hogged out to accept hi cap mags, & some US parts are added for 922 compliance. While both guns look similar, They are assembled on opposite sides of the world.  GARY
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SLR 101 has been re-branded as the SAM7.  

Gary:

No, I'm not sure.  Just regurgitating what I've read online.  If someone has better information I hope they'll share.

ETA:  K-Var.com states that the SAM7 series are "Bulgarian Made milled receiver..."  New SAM7 rifles state "Made in Bulgaria" on the receiver.  Note, the "SAM7" designation is slightly different from "SA M7".  

Ah, here.  From our own site.  Gary, I see you commented then, as well.  SLR101 = SAM7 Thread on ARFCOM
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#4]
the difference between the US made and the Bulgarian made is a space, literally.  SA M7 is the US made receiver guns no longer in production and the currently offered SAM7 is all Bulgarian.

no idea why the US made receivers stopped, can only guess that maybe the machinery to mill the receivers was leased and had to go home to Bulgaria, or maybe just importing guns was much more cost effective, who knows?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The SLR 101 has been re-branded as the SAM7.  Apparently the current batch of SAM7 are the exact same as the SLR101s you could buy last year.  Milled bulgy.

I'm not the most knowledgeable guy on here, but the SLR101 is the nicest I have experience with.  Better trigger pull from the factory.  For me, I'm more accurate with irons with the SLR101 than a LE6920.  

There is a lot of buzz right now about the SLR107.  Plenty of testimonials that it is "the best AK, with the smartest configuration, ever."  Maybe.  It also happens to be the model Arsenal is shipping right now.  It is also some $400 cheaper than the SAM7.  For that $400 you get a milled receiver, better trigger, and maybe a tad more pride in ownership.  

Eighteen months ago, the SLR101 was selling at the same price that the SLR107 is going for now.  In another 18 months, I'd be surprised if the SLR107 isn't up to $1400.  

Practically speaking, both are excellent.  The SAM7 is a bit more polished NIB.  The SLR107 may require some trigger work.  Either one, IMO, is a top-rate choice as a primary SHTF (or what have you) rifle.
View Quote

The SLR107 is a Stamped receiver not Milled as you state.

HDH.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#6]
SLR 95 ................ done
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Sa-93 FTW! Good luck finding one though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In my research for a new AK ,  the Arsenal SLR 101s is always mentioned in discussions as being one of , if not the best base AK would could buy...period.   Anybody agree that this milled receivered AK lives up to the hype ?  I'm confused about it's production status ...is it or isn't it still being built ?
View Quote

As general stated above...........

The SAM7 series has a Bulgarian-made receiver, while the SA M-7 series has a US-made receiver.
The SLR-101 is no better or worse than any other Bulgarian milled variant.
Most prefer the Bulgarian-made offerings over the US-made variants due to them being made in the actual military arsenal.
Here is some info on Bulgarian milled imports, to include the SLR-101, in case you are interested.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sa-93 FTW! Good luck finding one though.
View Quote

Yes, these are the Holy Grail of Bulgarian milled variants to collectors, as its convertible to a "correct" Bulgarian Type 3, better known as an AKK.
The SA M-7 Classic is a T3 with a US-made receiver.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#10]
SLR-101s/SAM7R=THE best IMO
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a sa93 :)
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Does not have the original wood but I'm making a type 3 clone. I just need someone to do the mill work for my second tang
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does not have the original wood but I'm making a type 3 clone. I just need someone to do the mill work for my second tang
View Quote

If you are going to convert your SA93 to a T3 clone, do it 100% accurate with the correct FSB, GB, and lower handguard retainer.
And don't forget the rear sling loop which mounts to the left rear of the receiver.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both the SLR101s and the SLR107FR and I love them both.  If I had to choose between the two, I'd have to pick the 107.  The 107 is lighter, has side folding stock, and seems to be more accurate.  I still love my SLR101 especially because of the trigger.  The 101 has a very smooth trigger pull.  The 107 has a gritty trigger, but Im still very accurate with it.

Plus I think the 107 looks better too!

Make sure you check your rifle for canted sights, etc.  Both the 101 and 107 went back to Arsenal for warranty repairs because of canted sights.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have both the SLR101s and the SLR107FR and I love them both.  If I had to choose between the two, I'd have to pick the 107.  The 107 is lighter, has side folding stock, and seems to be more accurate.  I still love my SLR101 especially because of the trigger.  The 101 has a very smooth trigger pull.  The 107 has a gritty trigger, but Im still very accurate with it.
View Quote

Hence my decision to buy a SAM7SF........sort of a blend of both rifles. The only "con" is the weight.....1 pound heavier than the 101......and 1.5 pounds heavier than the 107F
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Back about 10 year ago the SAM7 was marketed as the top tier AK to have and the SLR101 was sold as the econo-model. Paint finish and trigger were considered better on the SAM7. Again once upon a time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#17]
sa93 or SAM7 Classic
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Back about 10 year ago the SAM7 was marketed as the top tier AK to have and the SLR101 was sold as the econo-model. Paint finish and trigger were considered better on the SAM7. Again once upon a time.
View Quote
Yup. Had a Sam7 from 10 years ago, & I could hose it down with brake cleaner after a shooting session, & the paint didn't wash away. Try that with a 101, & the paint will be gone. I just do not like 90 degree gas blocks on a milled receiver gun, so to me the SA93 is the gun to look for. 2 years ago a guy traded 2 in to our store for $250 each. I picked up one of them for a few bucks more.  GARY
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
to me the SA93 is the gun to look for. 2 years ago a guy traded 2 in to our store for $250 each. I picked up one of them for a few bucks more.  GARY
View Quote

I never find deals that good.
Two years ago, I paid $1k for a new/unfired SA93 and about $700 for a used SA93 with beastly-ugly after-market stock set and slip-on brake. The used one was converted to a T3 and sold. The new one is under construction, but will also be converted to an AKK and will be kept forever.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I picked up a OD green slr101s yesterday.Im Not a big AK guy but I felt like it was a pretty decent rifle overall and it definitely feels better than my amd65 did.

I  saw 3 on gunbroker in the last few months priced between 15-1800$
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm curious what the going rate for  101s is now? I  saw 3 on gunbroker in the last few months priced between 15-1800$.
View Quote

I love my 101... Actually boringly reliable & accurate. $15-1800, WOW... Would never sell mine, but wow...

Link Posted: 5/17/2014 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#22]
My sam7r says made in Bulgaria on the side I only paid $1100 for mine
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I love my 101... Actually boringly reliable & accurate. $15-1800, WOW... Would never sell mine, but wow...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm curious what the going rate for  101s is now? I  saw 3 on gunbroker in the last few months priced between 15-1800$.

I agree... I literally got in on the last batch of 101's 6 days after the hook.  I had a trade offer since for a 101... wish I took up on it to have two.  Love the system.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I like it alot so far but theres no way I would consider paying close to what the ones on GB are listed for lol

shoots pretty well
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:43:03 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a SAM7 as well and absolutely love it. The simple and clean lines all flow pretty well on the milled receiver. Fit and finish wise I haven't seen another rifle that compares with it. One thing I wish they would have improved upon is the painted finish. For a rifle that is above the $1,200 range you would think they would have applied a more durable finish. Other than that everything else is top notch.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I own a SLR101s it is by far one of the better AK s out there.The 545 may be alittle better accuracy but the 762 is a Battle Rifle.I do wish it was easier to put a folder on the SLR101S.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I own a SLR101s it is by far one of the better AK s out there.The 545 may be alittle better accuracy but the 762 is a Battle Rifle.I do wish it was easier to put a folder on the SLR101S.
View Quote

Not sure if you could call an AK-47 a Battle Rifle, as its more of an Assault Rifle due to it firing an intermediate caliber round, but I get your point.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top