Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/25/2014 1:17:19 PM EDT
Guys,

I am trying to help my brother-in-law with his Bulgarian Arsenal. I know next to nothing about the AK, but he knows even less.

The rifle was purchased with a thumb hole stock....which I removed at his request. He's asked me to remove all of the evil features that would make it something that he had to register under our new awful laws here in NY.

For now, all I need to do is get rid of the thumb hole stock and replace it with a standard one. I'll worry about the pistol grip later.

I thought buying a stock would be easy till I saw that there are seven or eight different AK receiver types out there.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a Bulgarian Arsenal AK 47 stock?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
By removing the thumbhole stock that makes the rifle a "Sporter", and putting a regular stock / pistol grip on it, you now fall under 922r compliance laws. This means you need to have (5) US parts on the rifle for it to be legal now. Most people Use the K-var milled set which will count as (3) US parts (stock, pistol grip, handguard) then the tapco g2 trigger which is another (3).........or you can use US made magazines that count as (3) parts, however if you go with EITHER the stock set below or the G2 trigger AND the US magazine to hit your 5 parts, you will be out of compliance if you ever use standard steel mags

Here is the Milled K-var set that will fit his Bulgarian arsenal

http://www.k-var.com/shop/SM1-BM.html
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
By removing the thumbhole stock that makes the rifle a "Sporter", and putting a regular stock / pistol grip on it, you now fall under 922r compliance laws. This means you need to have (5) US parts on the rifle for it to be legal now. Most people Use the K-var milled set which will count as (3) US parts (stock, pistol grip, handguard) then the tapco g2 trigger which is another (3).........or you can use US made magazines that count as (3) parts, however if you go with EITHER the stock set below or the G2 trigger AND the US magazine to hit your 5 parts, you will be out of compliance if you ever use standard steel mags

View Quote

Thanks. I never knew any of that.

At that link, you can see a note indicating that certain extra parts are needed. One of which is a steel bracket with two rivets. This makes me think that the particular kit you linked me to might not be a match.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Btw, what is a G2 trigger?
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]

At that link, you can see a note indicating that certain extra parts are needed. One of which is a steel bracket with two rivets. This makes me think that the particular kit you linked me to might not be a match.

View Quote

I have a milled Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-95 that came with the thumbhole stock. That is the correct kit however the conversion to a standard stock / pistol grip from the sporter thumbhole stock is not "plug and play".  When you take the thumbhole stock off, there will be one metal "tab" called a tang coming off the top rear of it (which bolts to the top of the new stock). In order to add that new stock, you need to add a lower tang to the receiver that bolts to the bottom of the stock (which is the steel bracket with 2 rivets your referring to, as this lower tang needs to be riveted into the receiver). The other (2) parts it states  you need besides the kit linked is the screw that goes through the pistol grip into the receiver, and the screws that connect the tangs to the stock.

A Tapco G2 trigger kit is just a new US made trigger, hammer, disconnector to replace the Bulgarian ones in the rifle now to meet compliance
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]
When you remove the thumbhole stock, the gun will look like this in the rear with only the upper tang and have no grip at all

then you add the lower tang, which makes it look like this

which bolts to the top and bottom of the stock like this

TOP:

BOTTOM:

hope that gives you a better idea..............................

If you wanted to put a collabsable stock on it, you would not need to have the lower tang riveted into the receiver and you can just get a stock adapter and whatever 6 position stock you wanted like I did.

mine started like this:

and is now this:

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh yea............first you need to find out if the rifle is milled or stamped.........im almost certain if it has a thumbhole stock its milled, but if its a stamped receiver you need the stamped version of the stock kit i linked earlier.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Adding to the mention (above) of adding a lower tang, most milled thumbhole imports did not have the lower/rear of the reciever milled out for a lower tang install. Therefore, you need to mill it out yourself, or pay to have it done. I'm doing this for the 2nd time myself. Very time consuming, but not hard with hand files.........
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have a milled Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-95 that came with the thumbhole stock. That is the correct kit however the conversion to a standard stock / pistol grip from the sporter thumbhole stock is not "plug and play".  When you take the thumbhole stock off, there will be one metal "tab" called a tang coming off the top rear of it (which bolts to the top of the new stock). In order to add that new stock, you need to add a lower tang to the receiver that bolts to the bottom of the stock (which is the steel bracket with 2 rivets your referring to, as this lower tang needs to be riveted into the receiver). The other (2) parts it states  you need besides the kit linked is the screw that goes through the pistol grip into the receiver, and the screws that connect the tangs to the stock.

A Tapco G2 trigger kit is just a new US made trigger, hammer, disconnector to replace the Bulgarian ones in the rifle now to meet compliance
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

How do you rivet something to the receiver?!
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

that I dont really know. Unless you have the tools and knowledge of riveting, I wouldnt mess with it and have a gunsmith do it
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

that I dont really know. Unless you have the tools and knowledge of riveting, I wouldnt mess with it and have a gunsmith do it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wow, this whole thing is a can of worms.

Thanks for all of the info.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top