Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/12/2016 10:26:17 AM EDT
Wasn't sure which thread to put this in so I thought this would be a good place ... Mod feel free to move if necessary.

I'm a novice when it comes to the AK platform. Other than shooting it I have zero knowledge of all the variants, models, components, construction etc.

I inherited a Firing Line MLS99. From what I've read this milled receiver construction is a quality product. The trigger feels great. I haven't had a chance to get to the range with it.

My main question is about bore groove diameter. I'm aware that AK47's (7.62x39) have a .311 bore groove diameter. I pulled up a Guns and Ammo article on reloading for the 7.62x39 and it mentioned that some U.S. produced rifles can have a .308 diameter. I'm trying to determine what this MLS99 has. I'm attempting to contact Firing Line but haven't been able to get an answer.

I reload and I'd like to start for this rifle. Can I use .308 M80 147gr FMJ bullets for this rifle even if I find out the bore diameter is .311? This may be a stupid question but I figured this would be the place to get educated ...

The reloaders forum was my second place I was considering posting this as I'm interested in common load data for this combo as well.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
99% your bore is .311 give or take. Only way to know for sure is to slug it and measure. In your case,I'd go ahead on load some 308s in your 39 cases, be aware of your powder charge, and see how they shoot. I read of some shooters having good luck with 308 projectiles in the .311 bore. It's amazing, some of the things that work, when you think they won't. Now if you were going the other way, I'd worry about pressure, but I have heard of success that way too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:57:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I got this 7.62x39 bug 5 years ago when I built an AR in it. Whilst researching everything I came across this very thing. As it turns out, SAAMI says you can be over or under sized by .002 and things are fine.
I have a box of .308 SMK 135 bthp that I plan to test in that rifle. As always. Work up cautiously. Being is that you are pushing a smaller bullet thru a larger bore, pressure issues should be a bit more favorable. Worse case scenario? Rifle won't throw em worth a crap. Best case? Rifle settles on a sweet load with an awesome selection of bullets!!!
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top