Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2015 2:27:01 PM EDT
I've recently inherited an AK-47 variant (I don't know how to identify) that was assembled from a parts kit.  The bolt will not close due to barrel having been pressed in too far.  My question is: since the receiver has already been assembled, is there a way for me to press out the barrel to proper headspace without sacrificing the new receiver?  The barrel pin is not installed (I assume he couldn't get it to fit when he headspaced wrong).  The dust cover and foregrip do not line up (I assume this will be fixed with proper barrel alignment).  I don't know if a magazine will catch properly as I don't have one yet.  I'm also missing the recoil spring and my trigger pin walks, but I already know how to solve those issues and they are secondary to getting the bolt to close.  I'm hoping to avoid buying a new receiver, and hope that I won't need to drill / re-pin the barrel.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Difficult to answer your question completely without more info and photographs, but as for your primary concern, you should not have to sacrifice the receiver to properly press-out/refit the barrel. You say the barrel pin has not been installed - does the recess for the pin in the barrel line up with the hole for the pin? If not, it may just be a matter of properly fitting the barrel. If it is, then you will most certainly have to re-drill the barrel once it's properly headspaced.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You can do it. I had to do the same thing once. I used a piece of scrap aluminum  stock I had here that would fit through the mag well/receiver, and put it across the plates in my press with the barrel up. I used spacers to sit on it and push against the bottom of the barrel. I'm pretty sure I used some iron pipe to slide down over the barrel and press against the trunion to push the trunion down with the press. There is probably a better way of doing it, but that's what I came up with in my basement.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:30:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen a few people stack pennies over the chamber face and tap/whack with a long punch. You don't have to nudge the barrel very much to get into GO. Hopefully he didn't drill the barrel pin with the wr9ng headspace. You can use an oversize pin if needed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the replies.  I've already tried smacking it with a block of wood stacked on the chamber.  Only ended up with dented wood.  I like the pennies idea.  Mostly I'm glad to hear that it should be possible.  We'll see about the pin alignment and whether I'll have to drill for oversize after the barrel is in GO.

Thanks Again!
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 1:06:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I have reset a few barrels that way using a few stacked pennies & a 3/8 drive extension.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have reset a few barrels that way using a few stacked pennies & a 3/8 drive extension.
View Quote

Yup.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top