Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/16/2015 12:23:10 PM EDT

I finally got to try out two AK74 magazines I picked up at a gun show a few weeks ago, guy said they were Romanian.

They both had problems locking into place, they had some wiggle to them and I had feeding issues with them.
It seemed that the bolt would just ride over them and not strip the round off and chamber it.  When it did it would not pick up the next round.

Rifle was a first edition SEAK, East German Bakelites work great, circle 10 and 21s great, even 10 round Tapcos lock and function great.

Any suggestions?  New springs and followers?  Could they possibly be .223 mags?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
They could be .223 mags, so post some pics and let's find out.

Some of the steel .223 mags look very similar to Romanian or Polish 5.45 steel mags.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#2]

OK, took some pics.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely 5.45 mags, but unfortunately I couldn't tell you if they are Polish or Romanian. First thing I would check is to make sure someone didn't disassemble them and put the spring back in the wrong way.

Do they work OK when downloaded, or do they misfeed at any capacity?

Feed lips don't look bent, but next to impossible to know from looking at those pics.

Assuming that the feed lips aren't already touching the bottom of the lower receiver rails, you can raise the seating height a tiny bit by bending the rear tab downward, but that would probably be the last thing you'd want to do after checking out everything else on the mag first.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Loaded both with 5 rounds only.  When I get home I'll play around with them some more, at least trying to lock them in.

I have a SAR 2 besides they SEAK, maybe they'll fit that better.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top