Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2015 6:32:36 PM EDT
Can the bolt and carrier be hard chromed? I think my carrier is a bit ought of spec (bolt is a bit sloppy) and its allowing the bolt to hit the magazine feed lips. What is the thickness of hard chrome I think I need to add about .001 to the surface? Is there any other coating that could be used to add material to the carrier?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard chrome won't help.
Hard chrome is typically applied in a layer about 0.0004" thick.
Possibly if you talk to a hard chrome supplier like APW-Cogan or Ford's they might be able to apply it thicker.

Bright nickel is thicker as is standard bright chrome.  
Nickel isn't very durable, but bright chrome (bumper chrome) might stand up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:42:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks I will look into it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#3]
You have big problems if the bolt is hitting the magazine. Worn rails, carrier or receiver out of spec. I dont think chrome is going to help.

Quoted:
Can the bolt and carrier be hard chromed? I think my carrier is a bit ought of spec (bolt is a bit sloppy) and its allowing the bolt to hit the magazine feed lips. What is the thickness of hard chrome I think I need to add about .001 to the surface? Is there any other coating that could be used to add material to the carrier?
View Quote

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top