Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/14/2015 7:18:16 PM EDT
I just noticed a slight gap that is slightly less than 2mm between my AK's rear sight block and front trunnion. I hadn't paid much attention to it before until I finally asked myself why my gas tube had always been a little offset relative to the lower handguard and I figured that gap is the reason.
Is this correctable or will the gun continue to function just fine? I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever after putting around 1,500 - 2,000 rounds through it. Bolt gets hung up a little when I rack it manually but I think that is caused by a really crappy tapco g2 hammer which isn't as rounded as other hammers I've seen (haven't done any sanding/filing work to it).

My ak is a lancaster arms rifle I bought back in 2011 (yeah, I hear their builds are shit). The serial numbers that match are dust cover, bolt carrier, bolt, and front trunnion. The gas tube does not have the same serial number as the other matching parts so maybe that can be an issue?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/bearsredux/RearSightBlockGap_zpsb4059a20.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/bearsredux/Offset_GasTube_zps53e2d540.jpg
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeeesh! Is the gas tube parallel to the barrel? Assuming it was always that way, it shouldn't be a problem mechanically. If it's a recent development, and the RSB is working its way forward, I'd be concerned about it manipulating the barrel somehow. As long as headspacing hasn't changed, you should be gtg, at least from a functionality standpoint.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, everything seems ok, it's just that gap that really worries me now. But like you said, if it is working its way forward then no doubt that'll cause some issues down the road. I guess the only way to find out is to keep shooting the damn thing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a normal* product of how AKs are built.

On a AK the barrel assembly is built up and then pressed into the receiver. Each barrel/receiver varies a little. The gap is there to allow for the barrel to be pressed to the correct depth for that particular receiver.  The pin is then bored and pressed, which sets the headspace.

AJ

*As long as it isn't moving. If it moves stop shooting the rifle and get the headspace checked and the barrel repinned.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:42:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmm that makes sense. Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to track any movement and check the headspace from time to time.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top