Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/29/2014 9:24:59 PM EDT
So I have a Valmet FA gun in 7.62x39 that doesn't run smoothly anymore. It still runs but it's not a consistent smooth shooting anymore. Any idea what causes this? I don't have a video to show yet, but I'll get one up in a week or so.

It's hard to explain exactly what it's doing. Intead of bang bang bang, it's more of a bang bang....bang bang bang....bang....bang bang. This is with one pull of the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I would replace your springs to include the small round one for the rate reducer. See how that works and get back to us
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The recoil spring is new. I tried it with the old spring and New one, same thing. The only other springs are trigger springs. I'm not a familiar with a rate reducer spring.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
sounds like a timing issue.  Perhaps a worn trip or the corresponding location on the bolt carrier, or the trip to hammer engagement.

These images are for the AKM and are taken on the LEFT side.  The Valmet is an AK pattern, so measure on the Right  side of the carrier.

Armorer gauge is 3mm on one side and 6mm on the other, but you can use a pin gauge

with upward pressure on the bolt carrier, closing on a 3mm gauge should release the hammer.

with downward pressure on the bolt carrier, closing on a 6mm gauge should  not release the hammer.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I may have found the issue:

Not sure how I missed this before but a section of the rail is missing.
Can I just smooth both edges out with a dremmel or does this need to be brought to a gun smith before being run again?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#5]
lot of full auto conversions where the rail is notched instead of slotted, so I really don't think that's the issue.  As long as there is no lateral movement of the trip, you should be fine.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lot of full auto conversions where the rail is notched instead of slotted, so I really don't think that's the issue.  As long as there is no lateral movement of the trip, you should be fine.

View Quote

I was thinking this is probably it just because it's rough. It may be slowing, or causing drag on the carrier. I'll try dremmeling it smooth hopefully that'll fix it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I just ran a mag through it after I smoothed out the rough spots on the broken rail. It ran MUCH better but still sputters (for lack of a better term) a little. Not as bad as it did though. I dug through my AK spar parts and found a FCG from a Belgian AK parts set I picked up a few years back. There is a rate reducer on it. I my try putting this FCG in to see if it fixes it completely.
My other thought is, it may just take time for the the rail and carrier to break in tot he the newly shaped rail.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top