Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/25/2014 2:48:34 AM EDT
Bought a Arsenal Milled SAM7R-66.

Cut the hand guard retainer (the sling loop off) so that I could fit the Midwest extended rail.

Got everything on right, but it looks "crooked" to me where receiver meets rail. I cant get the bottom half to square up and run perfectly parallel to the barrel. The retainer is in the way.

Can you/Do you see the "bow" in the middle where the receiver meets the rail?

To me, it appears that the hand guard retainer is not allowing the rail to even out, and creates the un evenness.

What would happen if I remove the retainer completely? Do you have to have it to run the gun? The MI has that adapter that bolts the bottom rail and top rail in the middle with a brace/bracket that goes around the barrel. The rails do have contact with the retainer, thus making a point of contact and giving it strength, but also is the problem making it uneven.

Im curious if I did remove the retainer, if the rail would then even out and meet the receiver better and run parallel with the barrel.

Hope this makes sense...

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj588/dmlindy2003/image_zpsc82994ef.jpg
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Do not cut off the handguard retainer.

I do not see a "bow" or anything looking "crooked".

Do not cut off the handguard retainer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Something doesn't look right.  Are you saying that the handguard needs to move up in front so it meets the receiver
evenly?

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If I'm seeing what I think you're seeing, it looks like an optical illusion. The bottom of the receiver and the top of the dust cover are not parallel, so if you're comparing the bottom of the handguard with the receiver  (as opposed to the upper handguard with the top cover) it makes the rail look life it's angled downward. Is that what you mean?

ETA: try measuring the distance from the bottom of the handguard to approximately the center of the bore. Do this at the front edge of the handguard and the rear edge of it (or as close to the rear as you can). Compare and see if the distance is greater at the front.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 5:43:33 AM EDT
[#4]
You have a milled receiver for what seems to be a lower-rail that is likely intended for the (far, FAR) more common AKM or stamped receiver.

When you look at the front of the receiver, where this rail indexes. Does it look thicker than 1 or 1.5mm?

This is why it's pitching the rear portion up a bit higher. I've never used the MWI rail, but I have used the UltiMAK. It looks almost identical, so I'm guessing it works in a similar way...
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top