Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/29/2014 4:44:15 PM EDT
How do I fix this problem?

I got a new AK in as part of a trade. It's a Romy kit on an NDS receiver with a bunch of Tapco add on stuff to make it a sort of Galil type thing. Shoots straight enough, but it does have an issue. You know the little lever that locks the front part in place to hold the hand guards on? Well, that thing comes loose every time you shoot it, and the front part slides off, causing the hand guard to come off.

It's got some kind of krink sort of gas system, which was some how welded onto the trunion, so really, you can't even take the gas block off to replace the little deal that keeps coming off.

Options I am thinking about are super glue (no, really!), some kind of epoxy maybe (?? but that crap stinks!) or maybe an over sized screw of through the gas rod hole on the little metal retainer deal and into the hand guard(??).

Here is a picture of what I am talking about, in case my super technical description was insufficient:

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the barrel notched for the retainer?

You could file a notch, or use a two piece clamp on model.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is the barrel notched for the retainer?

You could file a notch, or use a two piece clamp on model.

View Quote

Yes. I think you can see it right in front of the hand guard.

I think I figured out the problem:

I is dumb. Dumb as Hell!

When I got the gun, the little lever was at the 12 o'clock position. I didn't think twice about it, and figured that was where it was supposed to be. Then I went and looked at my other AK and discovered that the little lever is supposed to go all the way over to the 9 o'clock position.

That'll probably do it!

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes. I think you can see it right in front of the hand guard.

I think I figured out the problem:

I is dumb. Dumb as Hell!

When I got the gun, the little lever was at the 12 o'clock position. I didn't think twice about it, and figured that was where it was supposed to be. Then I went and looked at my other AK and discovered that the little lever is supposed to go all the way over to the 9 o'clock position.

That'll probably do it!

View Quote

The 12 o'clock position is unlocked. It's supposed to be parallel with the barrel, more or less. Good to hear it did not require an expensive fix.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Unbelievable.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Unbelievable.
View Quote

Pffft...

I've done much, much worse. This isn't even embarrassing.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Me too! And that was exactly my comment to myself afterward. :(
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#7]
The human brain is amazing most of the time,other times not so much,humbles us all...
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Show the rest of that beast please.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 5:31:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I would be embarrassed if I made this thread, would probably die of shame..

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 5:37:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Cut that retainer off and get a Zhukov hand guard.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Everything is obvious, once it is;
and everything is hard until it is not.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't wait for all of the threads asking about how to put a handguard retainer back on once those stupid Zhukov parts go out of vogue.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#14]
+1000

Quoted:

I can't wait for all of the threads asking about how to put a handguard retainer back on once those stupid Zhukov parts go out of vogue.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top