BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/25/2014 2:26:00 AM EDT
How do I get the detent unstuck?

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Apply heat to the edges and lightly tap around the detent with a small hammer. Do not smash the detent directly.

The heat and vibration may get things moving again.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Another method:

Apply a couple of drops of Kroil to the pin and let soak over night to penetrate.
Then use a plastic screwdriver handle to rap around the sight base.
Usually the pin will pop up.

If this fails, drive out the front sight base pin and use a small screwdriver or pick to lever the pin and spring out.

Clean out the hole with a small brush or whatever you have, clean the pin and spring and if necessary, sand the pin diameter down slightly.  Lube up and reinstall.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I feel your pain. I've soaked and soaked with PB Blaster, rapped and tapped, pushed the front pin out (what a PITA) and still can't free up mine. I'm contemplating drilling it out but it's a Yugo so it's a different size and no spare replacements easily found.

If you do need to drill it out, CNCwarrior has replacements.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 1:42:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses. I let it soak in Hoppes just to see if that worked and it didnt. I read elsewhere to use WD40. I will probably just tap out the front sight pin and try to work it out myself. If not, I will take it to a gunsmith and have them fix it for me. lol
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top