Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/11/2014 4:15:44 PM EDT
I have a new WAffen Werks Ak 74 that a picked up from Atlantic Firearms this past summer. I haven't shot it much until recently. When attempting to Zero the rifle on a bench I take 2 shots then the rifle fails to feed. Once I remove the mag and inspect I notice a shell casing sticking a quarter inch out of the chamber. This has happened both with Wolf and red army steel cased ammo. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the extractor and the gun is clean. I had to tap out the spent casing with a steel rod.  I'm using Bulgarian circle 21 mags that are in great condition. Again this seems to only happen when I rest the mag on a a bench or shooting from prone on the ground. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/12/2014 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't rest on the mag, use something else to support the rifle ie on the lower handguard/rifle stand, when the action is cycled and the mag is being influenced that can and appears to cause a stoppage that you are having, happens on pmags. A cheap DIY stand is an ammo can and some rolled up tshirts with duck tape, or a backpack of some sorts, u get the idea.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I was using an ammo can to rest the barrel taking most of the weight off the rifle. It only took a small amount of pressure on the mag to cause this. I'm new to the 74 platform never had this issue with a 47. I'm just hoping it's not a bad cut on the magwell. I've emailed atlantic firearms and they said contact waffen. I've attempted multiple times to contact waffen werks with no reply.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Going through a similar problem with my VZ from AIM, they say contact Century.  Always passing the buck.  However a few years ago had this problem with a Tantal, 3 times had a case get stuck and to beat it out with a cleaning rod.  May have had lacquer from spent rounds in the chamber.  I kept scrubbing the chamber out with a brass brush (think it was a 30 cal) and some Hoppe's, eventually it quit happening.  Have read you can use steel wool wrapped around something.    The Tantal (and the VZ) had an American barrel, the chamber seemed to be cut too tight, is the Waffen a Commie barrel or US barrel?
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going through a similar problem with my VZ from AIM, they say contact Century.  Always passing the buck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going through a similar problem with my VZ from AIM, they say contact Century.  Always passing the buck.

Of course they would, the original manufacturer is going to have the warranty and repair option.  The only thing AIM could do is take the rifle, then turn around and ship it to Century.  In this case its best to not have that kind of middle man.

Quoted:
May have had lacquer from spent rounds in the chamber.

Lacquer doesn't build up in the chamber, you can pull the bullet, primer, and powder from the casing, then take a torch to it and the lacquer wont come off. Its not heat from firing causing lacquer to come off the cases, its that steel doesn't expand as easily as brass, so more carbon is able to build up in the chamber.  Brass, being more malleable than steel, has a harder time being extracted under those conditions.

More info here: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#5]
would suggest get an ar chamber brush and give the chamber area a good cleaning to make sure nothing is hanging up in there..  i had this problem with surplus ammo but was never resting on the mag, Romak 2.  once i cleaned the chamber and fired about 500 rounds of silver bear and cleaning with the ar chamber brush things have been working fine even with surplus ammo
you can give this a try

Quoted:
I have a new WAffen Werks Ak 74 that a picked up from Atlantic Firearms this past summer. I haven't shot it much until recently. When attempting to Zero the rifle on a bench I take 2 shots then the rifle fails to feed. Once I remove the mag and inspect I notice a shell casing sticking a quarter inch out of the chamber. This has happened both with Wolf and red army steel cased ammo. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the extractor and the gun is clean. I had to tap out the spent casing with a steel rod.  I'm using Bulgarian circle 21 mags that are in great condition. Again this seems to only happen when I rest the mag on a a bench or shooting from prone on the ground. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks.

View Quote

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top