Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/6/2014 2:12:31 AM EDT
I ordered the new RSA trigger the day it came out for my Arsenal/Saiga 74.    I was hoping this would work but hit a little bit of a snag.  From what this novice can tell, the hammer spring is supposed to rest on both legs of the trigger.   When putting the safety in the safety moves the right leg of the hammer spring.  Its a Krebs safety by the way.

The instructions mentioned cases where some material would need to be removed from the safety to fit, but its not the kind of safety with the issue.  Also, the small safety leg runs exactly into the spring.  

Any ideas here or something simple I'm missing?   I am going to call them tomorrow.

ETA: The right leg is higher than the left… it doesn't appear this way on the stock trigger.

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Im considering making the post on the safety a little bit shorter to clear the spring.  Worries me a bit since that would affect safety engagement.   Any thoughts on that?
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The way the safety works is by preventing one of the trigger legs from moving, so it has to be in the same area as the hammer spring leg.

When installing the safety, its fairly common to have it push the spring leg out of position.  Just grab a screw driver or needle nose and move the spring leg back into place.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The way the safety works is by preventing one of the trigger legs from moving, so it has to be in the same area as the hammer spring leg.

When installing the safety, its fairly common to have it push the spring leg out of position.  Just grab a screw driver or needle nose and move the spring leg back into place.
View Quote

The safety actually won't clear the spring and can completely lift it up.  I think something is funky.   This is once it is installed
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it should be as easy as:

1. Tie up the hammer spring legs
2. Install the safety
3. Release the hammer spring legs
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:31:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I installed it like normal, (released legs after putting safety in) but the spring goes exactly where the safety leg wants to go.   I put my old trigger in via the same process and  it is slightly lower so it works.  Maybe file the safety leg down a bit since hammer leg is higher than stock trigger?
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#6]
That could work, you'd have a little bit of trigger movement when the rifle was on safe.

Ive heard of folks filing a notch in the trigger leg so the hammer spring has a place to rest without interfering with the safety.  That may be an option.

Either way, I'd contact RedStar before making any modifications just to see what they recommend.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Just an update on this.  I called RSA and they admitted that they haven't really tested this guy with that many Ak's, which is understandable because there are tons.    In any case they were interested in how I was going about modifying and mentioned they would send me another if I effed it up. (Customer service not an issue with them)  I am happy to report that the successful measure was filing down the safety leg a bit.  There is a downside though, this limits adjustment of the first stage travel.   It works for me though as I was able to still get it where I like it.  

The trigger is a huge upgrade from the stock trigger, the only thing I am not a fan of is how light it is on the second stage.   Even with adjustment all the way down its a little too light for my tastes.  In other words don't expect a Geissele out of this unit, but I assure you it is lightyears better than the stock trigger and so far a worthy upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#8]
What if you just filed a little notch/groove for the spring to set in. That way you wouldn't lose any safety engagement?
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top