Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/17/2014 10:47:51 PM EDT
My friend gave me his Polish U/F so I could remove his slant brake and replace it with another. I cannot get the thing to twist at all. It is completely stuck on there. Rifle hasn't been cleaned in thousands of rounds.
All non corrosive ammo and there doesn't seem to be any rust anywhere else on/in the rifle.

Any advice to get this thing off??
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 2:40:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Kroil and make sure that you are turning it the right direction.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 3:26:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Is there any chance that it is pinned or welded?
It was bought "new" at a shop in oregon.
I know about the LH threads.
I have an arsenal with RH threads and the brake is loose and just twists off. All AK's i've ever handled have loos brakes.

I assume that the presence of a retention pin above the slant brake means that it is not welded or pinned or else there would be no purpose for it
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Heat. Lots and lots of heat. I tried my gas stove and no bueno. Ended up using mapp gas and a pair of vice grips. Came loose pretty easy after the heating. Careful not to torch your barrel much when you do this. I wrapped a wet rag on my barrel near the brake to keep the heat off my barrel. Dont want a barrel turnkng cherry!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#4]
vibrate the snot out of it with an air hammer and nylon tip.  Will turn any rust to dust.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top