Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/17/2014 2:49:58 PM EDT
So I took my new Galil out shooting today. The Galil is a Ohio rapid fire receiver with a IMI parts kit. It had (yes I said had) a scope rail mounted on the dust cover. This flew off after about the first 10 rounds. The bigger issue is that about every third round was a FTE. The next round did load, but a couple of those times the hammer was not re-set. Every time the casing did not eject it was mutilated pretty bad. Now I only had one type of ammo with me. Remington 55g. .223. I plan to run it tomorrow with a few different types. Although even if it runs off another type I would prefer a gun that eats anything.

Does anyone know of any simple fixes for under gassed Galil's?
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

Open up the gas port.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Does it have a plastic buffer in it? If so take it out and try again. If it functions properly with m193 ball but not your Remy load then you need to open the gas port. But keep in mind if you go back to NATO or milspec. Ammo your rifle will be bangin harder and you may need/want a buffer in there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks I'm headed out to try several different types of ammo now. I also came up with the idea of shortening the recoil spring a little. Not sure if thats a good idea or not. I have several other AK's. I thought I might be able to try a shorter one out of one of those first.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Proceed carefully. And also

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Open up the gas port.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Open up the gas port.

don't do this. Not until you've at least MEASURED it. The diameter of the gas port should be around 1.8mm. You can get a ballpark figure using the back end of a drill bit the same diameter.

Anyway, ORF receivers are notorious for bad QC and bad heat treatment. I have built a Galil on one. The first receiver was too soft and the shoulders the bolt lugs sit against were improperly cut, leading to engagement of one lug but a ~25 thousandths clearance on the other. Who knows what other kind of problems they may have.

Also, what kind of damage is the brass getting? If it is a big dent on the side, then that's pretty normal actually for an AK family rifle. That's from the brass hitting the edge of the dust cover on it's way out.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top