Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/23/2013 6:16:38 PM EDT
I just picked up a SGL-31 that was professionally converted from fixed -> sidefolding stock receiver at the shop today after giving it a good inspection. First thing I inspected, was the rifling in the barrel, which was still good; but showed some wear.

So I Immediately grabbed 3 boxes of Monarch and Tulammo commercial 5.45 and a box of surplus 7N6.

This is what I got at 50 yards with one box of commercial.

Holy keyholing hell... I swore I was shooting an old CAI Tantal.

HOWEVER... When I loaded up a mag of 7N6, I was instantly laying out offhand groups like I would with my AR... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?! I thought for a moment that maybe the muzzle brake was (standard 74 brake) was hitting the round; but, it still keyholes without the comp on.

If it still has good rifling, and shoots great with 7N6, then why in the hell won't it shoot commercial "6N3'? (As I call it since it usually has a 6N3 on the box.) The only solution at this point I can think of is replacing the barrel with a new one. I could just buy surplus tins; but, who knows how long that trains' gonna last? So, since I'd like to be able to shoot both, the only thing I can think up of is to change the barrel out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, after giving it a thorough cleaning, I can say this: It doesn't look too good...

It seems as though the rifling towards the end of the barrel (or pretty much >%50 of the barrel) is pretty much done for, and the bore seems to be oversize on both Monarch 6N3 and Surp 7N6.

So, anybody have a line on a new 74 barrel? Green mountain and AKbuilder.com seem to be out at the moment.

6N3

7N6
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Was this a new rifle?

Kvar was selling some ak74 kits for around $200ish not to long ago.  Came with pretty much everything needed to build a gun minus receiver.  

If you cant find a line on just a barrel, could buy the kit and sell the stock / accessories or keep them for extras
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 3:00:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, y'all; but I'm going to have to send it off for a barrel replacement. Through discussion and research, I've decided that due to my lack of tools and experience that I'm going to have to outsource this. I suppose that I could buy a barrel and send it off with the barrel so I'm only paying the cost of labor and refinish, though...
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably a smart move.
Unless you have all the tools already bought and paid for, and learned how to do it, it's cheaper to get an expert to do it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Na! that's what makes the 5.45 so much deadlier than 5.56.

Oh the good old "Poison Bullet"
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 2:26:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I ditched my SGL31. Couldn't hit a damn thing with it. Worst put together AK I've ever owned. Everything was crooked on that rifle.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 1:33:40 AM EDT
[#8]
First time I've heard of issues with the SGL 31.  I have one and the other people I know that have them are all super pleased.  Strange.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd like some more details on the rifle. The exterier of the gun looks as worn as the interior of the barrel. Do you know any of its history.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top