Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 3:55:32 PM EDT
I'm sure this has been discussed here before, likely many times, but I figured I'd start a new thread anyway.

I was just reading another Internet gun forum about AK 47s, and which is the best for the money, etc... (lots of opinions there).

I read where one poster said he converted one of the Russian Saiga 7.62X39 sporter models and uses standard AK mags (not the special Saiga mags with bullet-guide as part of the mag), and had fired thousands of rounds through it without a bullet-guide. I didn't think this was possible? I have two converted Saigas (both 922r compliant) and both have bullet-guides installed; I use standard AK mags. Neither rifle has ever experienced a jam, or even close. 

I know it's the Internet, but I find it a bit hard to believe that his Saiga conversion worked with regular AK mags without a bullet-guide. What am I missing? 
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm sure this has been discussed here before, likely many times, but I figured I'd start a new thread anyway.

I was just reading another Internet gun forum about AK 47s, and which is the best for the money, etc... (lots of opinions there).

I read where one poster said he converted one of the Russian Saiga 7.62X39 sporter models and uses standard AK mags (not the special Saiga mags with bullet-guide as part of the mag), and had fired thousands of rounds through it without a bullet-guide. I didn't think this was possible? I have two converted Saigas (both 922r compliant) and both have bullet-guides installed; I use standard AK mags. Neither rifle has ever experienced a jam, or even close. 

I know it's the Internet, but I find it a bit hard to believe that his Saiga conversion worked with regular AK mags without a bullet-guide. What am I missing? 
View Quote

He could be lying or not realize that someone installed one before he bought it.

Or he could be telling the truth and won the lottery in terms of his Saiga.

I think it's a situation where for a modest investment you are buying peace of mind.  Do you ever want to end up in a situation where you are handling your weapon with serious consequences soon to follow and in the back of your mind you are wondering if THIS is going to be the instant when your Saiga takes a crap because you saved a few dollars by not buying a BG?

It isn't like you're having to send it off for a year and parting with $1000 for some optional customization.  Put the BG in it and then you can never have to worry about it again.  There's enough out there showing the need to have one to justify installing one even if your Saiga hasn't shown a propensity to need one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  

Both my Saigas run flawlessly, with the bullet guides installed. This is not the first time I've read where some people do the conversion and say they use regular AK mags without installing the bullet-guide/feed-ramp. I suppose it is possible if a round is stripped out of the standard AK mag at a sufficient velocity, with the tapered shape of the 7.62X39 cartridge, the tapered portion of the cartridge could cause it to bounce up off the front end of the mag enough to enter the breach opening and the bolt lock into battery ready to fire; this is actually what happens with the special Saiga mags. Like you say, I would not want to take that gamble and cause the gun to malfunction.

The special Saiga mags are made with the front end of the mag a good bit higher, and thicker than a standard AK mag, and serves as the feed-ramp; I've also read where some people modify the standard AK mag rather than install the bullet-guide in the Saiga conversion. But without the special Saiga mags, the feed ramp is needed. When some people say they didn't install a bullet-guide/feed-ramp and use regular AK mags, and have fired thousands of rounds through it, it does make you stop and wonder how could that be...

I guess stranger things have happened.    
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Some mags may or may not feed full to partial capacity without a bullet guide, but reliability is not guaranteed.

As an example the Saiga 5.45 is known to feed from a standard AK-74 mag without a guide, but when the mag is near empty and there is very little spring tension left on the leading rounds, they may nosedive into the chamber face. For this reason a guide is all but mandatory if you want to use standard AK-74 mags.

I have not heard of 7.62x39 Saigas being able to feed without a guide.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top