Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2017 8:43:55 AM EDT
I'm curious to know how many if more than one type of engraving or dot matrix stamping was used on WASR-10's? And if more than one was used possibly someone could show an example of how they look. I just got a new WASR a week or so ago and it looks as I would expect. Almost a dot type engraving. Well here's the thing. I picked up a "WASR-10" or as inscribed GP WASR-10 from a friend. His FIL passed away and he knows little about the rifle. It's a single stack mag rifle. It's inscribed on both sides in the proper place, but it appears to have been done by a vibro-engraver. The letters are very legible and the depth appears consistent. But it's wearing a ROMAK 991 thumbhole stock. Hmmm? I don't have good pictures until I get home. But I do have a sample until later. What do you think?Attachment Attached File

The other side says GP WASR-10. But I don't have a picture handy without the serial number. I can get some later. Please let me know what comes to mind.

ETA: The serial number is AN-XXXX-82. The four numbers in the middle are also on the rear of the dust cover. I haven't looked it over enough to see what else is there.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess I'm looking for answers if I do indeed have a single stack WASR, with a ROMAK 991 stock, or if I got ahold of a ROMAK 991 that someone labeled as a GP WASR-10. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Your receiver roll marks look nearly identical to several of my WASR varieties, no problems. The previous owner probably swapped stocks since your single-stack rifle did not fall under 922r and would not have required any thumbhole stock.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#3]
That's good to hear. I was leaning towards it being a WASR.  But I couldn't imagine someone going through the trouble of putting one of those thumbhole stocks on there. Unless of course they really liked that look. So, of course I was curious about what was up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok. Got some pictures and more information. Possibly. The middle four serial numbers are etched under the rear sight. Stamped into the rear of dust cover. On the bolt. On the bolt carrier/piston. Not sure the exact nomenclature of that part. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I've looked everywhere I can think for numbers and marks. There are a few marks and numbers on the barrel, but they don't make sense to me. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It looks like the barrel has the numbers 1, 2, 2, and 8. Possibly another 2 in between the 2's. They run fore to aft. And then near the 8 rotated slightly there are a couple marks that I can't decipher. If you have any idea what any of this means, I'd love to hear it. But by this point, I'm fairly certain it's a GP WASR-10 with a ROMAK 991 thumbhole stock installed. I hope you AK gurus get a kick out of the picks. Oh and to me the recoil spring looks normal other than a rubber recoil buffer someone put on. And the piston is shiny and clean. Almost like this hasn't seen any or many rounds. And the receiver is clean inside. No rust or metal residue from firing. Just a few latent dog hairs.

EDIT: spelling
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Just a couple additional pictures. The site is giving me trouble uploading pictures so I have been getting inventive with backgrounds trying to shrink the file size. Sorry about the less than high grade pictures.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Your GP WASR-10 is not the current model "WASR-10" (2012 to present) but rather an earlier import that preceded the GP WASR 10/63, so probably came in during mid 2000's.

Your barrel numbers 1 2 2 2 (read when holding the barrel upright) are generally only present on imported Com Bloc made barrels and are called Journal Marks. The others stampings are factory proof marks put there during the barrel's manufacture.

It's a nice variety and looks ready to go !, although I'd prefer a Romanian laminated AKM stock & bakelite pistol grip. I assume you're going to keep it in single-stack configuration ?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks gocargo for your input. I am planning on keeping it single stack. But I would like to get a nice laminated wood furniture set to make it look nice. The thumbhole stock is ill fitting and has a little wiggle to it. Not sure of the best place to go for furniture. I got a new WASR a week or so ago, but I also knew this one was coming up the pipe. Attachment Attached File

That's the new one. So now I have a nice new double stack, and a nice older single stack.

One other question, how do you remove the wood from the gas tube assembly?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#9]
If it's on really tightly, I usually have to put the end of the gas tube (the one that is closest to the buttstock when the tube is installed) into a padded vise and crank the wood off with gloves on.  Sometimes, it will come off with just a wrench on the end and some cranking by hand while holding the wooden top guard - no vise needed.

I bought one of the earlier WASRs in the early 2000s that actually came double-stack milled out by Century but with that thumbhole stock.  The shop I bought it from put a Tapco T6 (m4-style, but all plastic) stock on it and cheapo plastic grip, but it also came with the original thumbhole stock.  I think they had to use that "Dragunov" stock to get around import restrictions during the ban.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Using a bench vice, I snug the tube on its rear milled metal collar where it's thickest and the sides are flat.. just tight enough "so it won't rotate", don't crush it. I grasp the wood or polymer upper handguard with my hand and slowly twist it 180°, like gassing a motorcycle throttle. Installing is pretty much the same but you have to guide it in more carefully as you rotate. Eyeball the vent slots between it and your lower handguard and install it in the correct forward/backward orientation, if necessary
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the input. I didn't want to try forcing anything and ruin something.
ETA: I really do appreciate the information. I'm well versed in firearms. But I don't have an over abundance of experience with this configuration. And as always, it's better to ask than to make a costly error. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]
You might locate a Romy laminated stock and bakelite pistol grip, bolt and nut over in EE, if not then for sure over on AKFiles Market Place sub forum. I sold my 991/WUM thumbhole stock last year for $35 but without the factory fastener & t-nut, those factory type fasteners are hard to locate.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might locate a Romy laminated stock and bakelite pistol grip, bolt and nut here in EE, if not then over on AKFiles Market Place sub forum. I sold my 991/WUM thumbhole stock last year for $35 but without the factory fastener & t-nut.
View Quote
I was wondering about the bolt and nut too. I'll have to check it out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#14]
The journal marks or fitment codes are an interesting facet of combloc style manufacturing QC. The codes are stamped on the barrel after it has been forged, externally machined, and sized. They indicate whether the component journals measure undersize or oversize relative to the target dimensions of those journals. An appropriately undersize or oversize barrel component (often marked with a matching number) would then be installed.

In essence instead of just getting the dimensions spot on every time, such as is possible with modern computer controlled tooling, the factories were simply prepared to compensate for poor dimensional control.

Newer WASR barrels are made on modern Steyr computer controlled forges and CNC lathe (Cugir had a few videos showing them off at one point ) and you generally don't see the codes on the barrels any longer, unless it's on one of the older WASRs that were basically rearsenaled military AKMs from the cold war years.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks gocargo for your input. I am planning on keeping it single stack. But I would like to get a nice laminated wood furniture set to make it look nice. The thumbhole stock is ill fitting and has a little wiggle to it. Not sure of the best place to go for furniture. I got a new WASR a week or so ago, but I also knew this one was coming up the pipe. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/417529/IMG_6271-277864.JPG

That's the new one. So now I have a nice new double stack, and a nice older single stack.

One other question, how do you remove the wood from the gas tube assembly?
View Quote
I got this set for my wasr3. Didn't have the bolt or t nut for the grip but those are easy to find. The wood needs to be stripped, smoothed and refinished. Was a fun project. The grip was pretty banged up. I found one in better shape with nice red marble at a gun show for $15.

Rommy dong stock
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Good information. I was meaning to check out Apex. I'm starting to have options.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top