Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/10/2017 3:42:42 AM EDT
I wanna buy an AK and I've been looking all around.  The c39v2 has good reviews and CA is offering 100 bucks off rebate right now.  Is this a rifle worth getting or is it garbage?  If I had a choice between this particular rifle and an AR at the same price, should I get an AR instead?

Stamped vs Machined? thoughts?

Is this a good first AK?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Leave the domestically built Century's as fodder for the less discriminating buyers, you're here on this forum so already a winner. Best value today in commercial AK's is the Romanian imported new Wasr-10 from Preppers at around $530 and there might be a free shipping code. Milled -vs- stamped is just a preference but consider this: Kalashnikov went "from" milled to stamped and never went back.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't own one, but I have heard good and bad.  AK Operators Union is testing one now, and they say it heats up really quickly, and it appears the bolt is softer metal than it should be.

Video 2:  https://youtu.be/J7Vd3uODQG4
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kalashnikov went "from" milled to stamped and never went back.
View Quote
Since it was much less labor intensive, it was a huge savings of $. Also, since it was much less labor intensive, they could make many more in the same time frame.  GARY
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Since it was much less labor intensive, it was a huge savings of $. Also, since it was much less labor intensive, they could make many more in the same time frame.  GARY
View Quote
Exactly. To clarify.. I wasn't inferring that stamped is better because both receivers do have their merits.

Gary, I've read many of your archived AK posts on other forums and glad you're still kicking here!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm no authority on the subject, but the stamped receivers on my Russian Saigas are about 1.5 to 2mm. Many/most of the US made AK stamped receivers are like 1mm. That is a pretty big difference if you ask me. Also, I despise a sloppy/crooked trunion rivet. I decided I wanted another AK47 and bought an Interarms from an online gun store. It had the thin, 1mm stamped receiver, and a really crooked rear trunion rivet. The bullet guide was installed slightly crooked. As far as I could tell, the front sight block was straight enough. I fired about 2 30 round magazines through it and decided I just didn't want it anymore and traded it in at a gun store for another AR15. Oh yea, the rear tail-piece of the bolt carrier was starting to mushroom a little after only 30 rounds. I guess I was spoiled with the good quality of the Russian Saigas, along with a bit of OCD.  

That experience taught me a lesson that it is best if you look at and examine an AK47 in person before you purchase, although I know the online purchasing and using a local FFL is a popular way to buy now; the problem with that is you don't know exactly what you will be getting, as a general rule.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm no authority on the subject, but the stamped receivers on my Russian Saigas are about 1.5 to 2mm. Many/most of the US made AK stamped receivers are like 1mm. That is a pretty big difference if you ask me. Also, I despise a sloppy/crooked trunion rivet. I decided I wanted another AK47 and bought an Interarms from an online gun store. It had the thin, 1mm stamped receiver, and a really crooked rear trunion rivet. The bullet guide was installed slightly crooked. As far as I could tell, the front sight block was straight enough. I fired about 2 30 round magazines through it and decided I just didn't want it anymore and traded it in at a gun store for another AR15. Oh yea, the rear tail-piece of the bolt carrier was starting to mushroom a little after only 30 rounds. I guess I was spoiled with the good quality of the Russian Saigas, along with a bit of OCD.  

That experience taught me a lesson that it is best if you look at and examine an AK47 in person before you purchase, although I know the online purchasing and using a local FFL is a popular way to buy now; the problem with that is you don't know exactly what you will be getting, as a general rule.
View Quote
All Russian AK receivers (to include Saigas) are 1mm unless they're RPK based (such as the VEPRs or large caliber Saigas). So unless your Saiga falls within those parameters, it's also has a 1mm receiver. 1mm receivers are the standard.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All Russian AK receivers (to include Saigas) are 1mm unless they're RPK based (such as the VEPRs or large caliber Saigas). So unless your Saiga falls within those parameters, it's also has a 1mm receiver. 1mm receivers are the standard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that is the case, then the Interarms AK47 receiver was .5mm. The stamped receiver on my two Saigas were almost twice as thick...
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If that is the case, then the Interarms AK47 receiver was .5mm. The stamped receiver on my two Saigas were almost twice as thick...
View Quote
That would mean that they had to use parts that were 0.5mm larger in the dimensions that interact with the receiver, which is unlikely. The Saiga receiver cover is much thicker than a standard AKM/AK-74, so maybe that led to your perception of thickness? Don't know.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That would mean that they had to use parts that were 0.5mm larger in the dimensions that interact with the receiver, which is unlikely. The Saiga receiver cover is much thicker than a standard AKM/AK-74, so maybe that led to your perception of thickness? Don't know.
View Quote
Like I said, I'm no authority on the subject, and I didn't measure the thickness of the different receivers; all I know is that the Saiga stamped receivers (not just the bolt-carrier cover) looked thicker than the Interarms receiver, enough so that it was noticeable to the physical eye. Also, the quality of the materials and workmanship of the Interarms paled in comparison to the Saiga. Evidently, the Russians know how to crush a trunion rivet correctly. :-)

ETA: I thought about this conversation, and when I got home from work I took my digital caliper and measured the thickness of one of my Saiga AK receivers. It measured 1.18mm. So, you may be right about the 1mm (+or-) thickness. The Interarms AK receiver did look thinner and cheaper. Or maybe it was the crooked rear trunion rivet on the Interarms; oh yea, I forgot to mention that on the Interarms AK, when you moved/pulled the trigger, there was some wobble and play in the trigger assembly pin and pin-hole, like the hole in the receiver was too big, or the pin too small. I guess I need to stop whining about the Interarms AK, but I was disappointed with it in more ways than one. 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#10]
production grade usa made ak under 1k...
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#11]
production grade usa made ak under 1k...
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:54:49 AM EDT
[#12]
It'd be nice if preppers wasnt out of stock.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#13]
The C39V2 is an ok rifle. I've shot a few and know several guys who own them. Generally, there are no complaints amongst them, but they use those rifles  primarily as range toys, so YMMV. If that is your intent, and you want a milled receiver, it's not a bad choice.

If you're looking at "just an AK" there are cheaper options that may be better for you. The N-PAP and WASR rifles are appreciably cheaper than the C39. These are both stamped variants, which will be a little bit lighter.

The WASR is as close as you can get to a newly manufactured AKM in the USA and is a good rifle that is widely available. These also have yuuuuuge aftermarket support, so you can keep it traditional or you can go full mall ninja.

The NPAP is slightly cheaper than the WASR. But it uses Yugoslavian furniture which is about .5" longer on the handguard and the stock attaches in a different fashion. It also does not have a chrome lined barrel. Another quirk is the optics rail is non-standard. I own one and really like it.

These are the entry level options. You can certainly move up on quality but had better be prepared to pay for that quality. Rifles like Arsenals and converted Saigas are very nice, but in this market seem to be selling closer to the $1k mark.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The C39V2 is an ok rifle. I've shot a few and know several guys who own them. Generally, there are no complaints amongst them, but they use those rifles  primarily as range toys, so YMMV. If that is your intent, and you want a milled receiver, it's not a bad choice.

If you're looking at "just an AK" there are cheaper options that may be better for you. The N-PAP and WASR rifles are appreciably cheaper than the C39. These are both stamped variants, which will be a little bit lighter.

The WASR is as close as you can get to a newly manufactured AKM in the USA and is a good rifle that is widely available. These also have yuuuuuge aftermarket support, so you can keep it traditional or you can go full mall ninja.

The NPAP is slightly cheaper than the WASR. But it uses Yugoslavian furniture which is about .5" longer on the handguard and the stock attaches in a different fashion. It also does not have a chrome lined barrel. Another quirk is the optics rail is non-standard. I own one and really like it.

These are the entry level options. You can certainly move up on quality but had better be prepared to pay for that quality. Rifles like Arsenals and converted Saigas are very nice, but in this market seem to be selling closer to the $1k mark.
View Quote
Good advice...

I have two converted Saiga 7.62X39 AK47 rifles that I converted myself (both 922r compliant). The first one I bought new about 15 years ago, before the prices went through the roof and US sanctions against Russia kicked in. I paid like $279/$289 or so, don't remember exactly. I didn't change the hand-guard on that one, and have about $650 or $700 in it with the conversion. The receiver on the first one is similar to the WASR in that it doesn't have the mag dimples in the receiver. 

The second one I bought used from a private owner a few years ago, but it was like new and had the box, docs and sales receipt with it. But the seller blacked out the price he paid on the sales receipt. I paid $750 for it, unconverted, and was glad to get it at that price; it has the mag dimples in the receiver and the first three numbers of the serial start with 134. I have a little over $1000 in that one, but it has a nice Russian red-wood laminated wood furniture set I got from Carolina Shooters Supply.

The bad thing about owning a converted Saiga AK47 is that if you buy another AK47, the bar has been set very high for a quality and craftsmanship comparison. This happened to me when I decided I wanted another AK47. I bought an Interarms AK47 from an online gun store for $679 and was very disappointed in the overall quality, fit and finish. I don't mean to bash the Interarms, but it was so sloppily built compared to the Saigas that I decided I just didn't want it and traded it in for a new AR15 at a gun store; took a bit of a loss, but there is no use keeping a gun you don't like.

I don't need it, but I might buy another AK47 if I can find a decent one that I like at a price I think is worth it.  

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top