Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2017 9:08:26 AM EDT
Title says it all. 7N6 is not an option since I'm not looking for corrosive ammo. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Golden Tiger has shot well in all my 5.45 carbines.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#2]
AKOU has 2 good 5.45 ammo test videos, look those up.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I've found all the steel case commercial stuff is basically the same.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
7n6 is good stuff but i feel ya. I use wolf 60 grn for those times when i wanna just shoot a mag or 2 out back and not break the rifle down right after.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Wolf.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AKOU has 2 good 5.45 ammo test videos, look those up.
View Quote
Yes, but Rob chose to pick the 60 rounds of Golden Tiger 5.45 from 3 different lots.  I don't understand why he did that, but of course it made the ammo have the worst max spread of velocities of those he tested.  So take the implications from the numbers with a grain of salt, I guess.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#7]
#1 GT, #2 mil-spec Barnaul, #3 Wolf mil-spec, #4 polyf or mil classic WPA, #5 Tula and #6 Silver Bear in that order from SG Ammo.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:33:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've found all the steel case commercial stuff is basically the same.
View Quote
Same here.

I did chrono tests on the wolf and it was as inconsistent as people say, but it's fine for training
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Same here.

I did chrono tests on the wolf and it was as inconsistent as people say, but it's fine for training
View Quote
Even the Wolf Mil spec brand that SGAMMO sells?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#10]
i dont even know why would anyone shoot anything BUT 7N6, commercial stuff is meh and the corrosive thing is not even a thing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i dont even know why would anyone shoot anything BUT 7N6, commercial stuff is meh and the corrosive thing is not even a thing.
View Quote
American shooters are irrationally afraid of corrosive ammo for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I think it was the same stuff I chrono'd yes

Quoted:
I decided to save my 7N6 but I don't really care for the commercial stuff either
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I prefer 7N6, but since it's not being imported anymore I wanted to save what rounds I have of it and use the commercial stuff instead. The non-corrosive part is just a bonus.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I prefer 7N6, but since it's not being imported anymore I wanted to save what rounds I have of it and use the commercial stuff instead. The non-corrosive part is just a bonus.
View Quote
This is where I'm at.

I'll just sit on my 7n6 Ammo Fort and keep buying commercial. It should store forever in the tins.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

American shooters are irrationally afraid of corrosive ammo for some reason.
View Quote
Sometimes I just wanna hit the range and don't feel like cleaning the rifle. I have 7n6 and commercial. Commercial is great when I'm feeling lazy or short on time
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#16]
5 second search produced these results on gunbroker

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/681086982  

auction is not mine, just used a a point of reference to the cost and availability of 7n6

still cheaper than some commercial stuff. hence my point.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd recommend buying a little of different brands first before you stock up on a case of something that doesn't run well in your rifle.

After 7N6 I have the best results with Golden Tiger, Wolf Mil Spec (green box), and the Barnaul mil spec (lacquered). But overall I don't see much difference in performance, so either go with whatever is cheapest for range use and any of the above brands for their neck/primer seal and lacquered case for long term storage.

Only stuff I won't buy at all is Wolf Black Box cause it didn't chamber in my rifle and Red Army 69 grain, which didn't seem to stabilize well and had shotgun-like accuracy.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top