Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2017 2:49:44 PM EDT
I must have missed something somewhere.

Where are all the 5.45x39 ak74 clones at? Are they now banned here or something?

Any US manufactured 5.45x39 rifles anywhere?

Now that I can add one to my arsenal, I can't find one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Saigas and VEPRs are banned.  Arsenals are not being imported.  

No other manufacturer has filled the void that I'm aware of.  Hopefully that will change.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]
My Cabelas (MI) has 4-5 Century M74 Sporters.  Another one I went to in Illinois had a few too.
I dont know the quality of those rifles but I think they were probably asking too much for them.  $900.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for enlightening me. Wow I knew about the Russian sanctions and all but why can't they be imported from say Bulgaria or Romania? Was the 5.45x39 a Russian only project?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the tip about Cabelas.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for enlightening me. Wow I knew about the Russian sanctions and all but why can't they be imported from say Bulgaria or Romania? Was the 5.45x39 a Russian only project?

Thanks again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks again.
Romania, Bulgaria, East Germany and Poland were big into 5.45, among others, but even still there never have been a ton of options on the market.

Arsenal SLR series rifles are Bulgarian and are still importable, but for whatever reason they are out of stock for the time being.

Quoted:
Thank you for the tip about Cabelas.
Be super careful with anything Century. For $900 to me they aren't worth it. Better to hunt for a used SLR104FR instead

Z
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a an AK in 5.45 at my local pawn shop.  I think it has two mags.  They have it marked $699, but they typically wheel and deal.  Don't remember the brand, but it was in excellent condition.  I was looking for one in 223.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I gambled on a century M74 for 540 that had been at my local cabelas forever.  They had been asking 800 for a long time before they dropped the price.

I had to fix the canted front sight in order to zero without it being drifted all the way to the right.

The shit mismatched surplus furniture had to go.

The end result is a serviceable fun rifle.  The cons are no chrome lining and the rear trunnion is obviously cast.

And no it does not keyhole.  If you are wanting a serious 74 I advise to hunt for a non century.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I gambled on a century M74 for 540 that had been at my local cabelas forever.  They had been asking 800 for a long time before they dropped the price.

I had to fix the canted front sight in order to zero without it being drifted all the way to the right.

The shit mismatched surplus furniture had to go.

The end result is a serviceable fun rifle.  The cons are no chrome lining and the rear trunnion is obviously cast.

And no it does not keyhole.  If you are wanting a serious 74 I advise to hunt for a non century.
View Quote
Kinda of the same with mine. It was overgasses so bad it was bending the rear rivets in the first 100 rnds or so and accuracy was horrible. Sent it back and century sent me a whole new rifle. Must have been pretty bad.

My 104 is just better all around
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:44:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Kinda of the same with mine. It was overgasses so bad it was bending the rear rivets in the first 100 rnds or so and accuracy was horrible. Sent it back and century sent me a whole new rifle. Must have been pretty bad.

My 104 is just better all aroound
View Quote
Interesting.  I have around 500 through mine; a mix of tula, wolf, surplus and now mainly golden tiger.

I definately would say that the accuracy is ok. The best I managed on paper was 3".

The golden tiger is definately much warmer than the tula or wolf, but I havent chronoed any of it. I feel like if I have any parts fail it will be with the steady diet of GT i plan on feeding it.

Like I said, roll of the dice, but for an enthusiast its a beater or tinkering rifle.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I am confused. Are Bulgarian Arsenal 74's coming back or not?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am confused. Are Bulgarian Arsenal 74's coming back or not?
View Quote
Everything I have read says they will, but just not in the next few months.  So I think it's a temporary dry spell on importation of them.  I bet they were figuring that the 5.45 VEPR would fill the gap.  D'oh!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Everything I have read says they will, but just not in the next few months.  So I think it's a temporary dry spell on importation of them.  I bet they were figuring that the 5.45 VEPR would fill the gap.  D'oh!
View Quote
thank you! I hope you are right. I finally have some funds and I'm really itching for a triangle side folder!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm really hoping there is an SLR104R on the horizon, I'll buy the first one I see if it has a 24mm FSB.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks to all for the info. It appears that I am not the only one wanting an AK74. I heard that the Arsenal SLR104 was the way to go. I have a CAI WASR 10 and it is ok but I doubt I would ever buy another century.

Are the Atlantics any good?

Anybody have a PSA AK? Any good? Surprised they don't make an AK74 version.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:09:11 AM EDT
[#17]
The main & important parts of a WASR are made over in Romania so when CAI gets their hands on them there's not much for them to screw up like on their other AKs.

The WASR is the only CAI AK I even consider because of that.

Atlantic makes good rifles.  

The 5.45 world is kind of dead right now with rifles almost unobtainable, expensive mags compared to the SAR days, but good supplies of ammo.

Look for a well-cared for SAR-2 if you can.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The AK74 market took a big hit with the banning of the surplus ammo thus importers and builders started to shy away from the 74 series . We have a limited offering of 74 rifles like the Arsenal SLR and the Romanian AIM 74 series .

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/romy74rifle%20(18%20of%2020).jpg
View Quote
And those AIMS-74 will be back in stock soon, right?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Anybody have a PSA AK? Any good?
View Quote
The short answer to that, is "no".
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks to all again for your replies.

I will have to be patient and wait it out. I do not want to pay an astronomical amount to get one, which at this time seems to be the case due to supply and demand.

I've been told that any US made AK is crap. Why is this? We can't make an AK to the same standards as our Ex-Comm country neighbors? Is it because of tooling or skill?

It would seem that if they can make AKs on a mass scale within QA/QC standards, that we in the US could make a quality AK in minimum quantities.

What gives?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I might have to just get another AK47 clone then and say the heck with an AK74.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The AK74 market took a big hit with the banning of the surplus ammo thus importers and builders started to shy away from the 74 series . We have a limited offering of 74 rifles like the Arsenal SLR and the Romanian AIM 74 series .

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/romy74rifle%20(18%20of%2020).jpg
View Quote
I do really like the Romanian look and have the forward grip handguard on my WASR but I am not sure I would like the folding stock for shooting. It looks good and all but cheek to stock weld might be lacking a bit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#24]
It looks like a normal Romanian wire stock, right?  Two tang screws removed, and you can put any normal stamped AK stock you want on it.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/aam-romanian-ak-74-aim-detail.html?Itemid=0

They still have this Tantal in stock:
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/polish-tantal-ak74-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It looks like a normal Romanian wire stock, right?  Two tang screws removed, and you can put any normal stamped AK stock you want on it.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/aam-romanian-ak-74-aim-detail.html?Itemid=0

They still have this Tantal in stock:
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/polish-tantal-ak74-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0
View Quote
Good points. Ty.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks to all again for your replies.

I will have to be patient and wait it out. I do not want to pay an astronomical amount to get one, which at this time seems to be the case due to supply and demand.

I've been told that any US made AK is crap. Why is this? We can't make an AK to the same standards as our Ex-Comm country neighbors? Is it because of tooling or skill?

It would seem that if they can make AKs on a mass scale within QA/QC standards, that we in the US could make a quality AK in minimum quantities.

What gives?
View Quote
Same thing as always...Greed.

Could we make an AK as well as the combloc countries ?? Yes. But not if your so worried about hitting a price point that you'll sacrifice anything to cut corners to hit that goal. Cast parts VS. forged and other shortcuts are what's killing the domestic made AK market IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#27]
build a 5.45 AR! I did. Use regular Pmags as well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#28]
There are three 5.45s on the EE right now including a newly listed SAR-2.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There are three 5.45s on the EE right now including a newly listed SAR-2.
View Quote
Ty. I will look at those.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
build a 5.45 AR! I did. Use regular Pmags as well.
View Quote
I already have two 5.56 ARs and I am happy with those. I would like to use the platform that the round was designed for.

Ty.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#31]
i have one for sale, old tantal on a vz88 kit
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
i have one for sale, old tantal on a vz88 kit
View Quote
Don't know much about the Tantals. Why are you selling?

You know I am re-thinking the whole 5.45x39 and thinking that maybe I should just stick to 7.62x39 to KISS. I do like the lighter weight and the ability to carry more ammo with 5.45x39 but I already have 7.62x39 and all the mags and stuff. I appreciate all the help. It does seem that more ak74s are showing up in the secondary market place. Maybe that is a sign. I was looking at bulk ammo for 5.45x39 and very limited from what I found. Most places selling 30 round packs like Wolf Military classic and no 1000 rds.

In cents per round comparison 7.62x39 is going for about .22 cents a round where 5.45 is going for about .27 cents a round. I know that is probably chicken feed and is definitely cheaper than 5.56 but I have more already invested in 5.56. Right now that is still the round used by the US military.

Maybe it is better at this time to keep an eye on the 5.45x39 market and see where it goes. If it gets worse then I have not invested anything into it and can carry on. If it gets better then I will have to reevaluate the possibility of getting one. With new sanctions on Russia I do not see it improving and probably will get worse. Flyovers and not abiding by the same agreement for US flyovers.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#33]
You will probably get into 5.45 at some point.  It's just too cool to avoid.  Check out sgammo.com for bulk buying.  Golden Tiger or Wolf Military Classic work great in my 74s.

Ammo doesn't really get cheaper with time, so you should go ahead and buy a few thousand rounds.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top