Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2017 1:02:40 PM EDT
Right now my night rifles are a Kriss Vector dedicated night setup and my all-around AR is also night vision friendly.

I'm thinking about setting up an AK-74 for the same, probably use my Krink. My only hesitation is that they're still pretty loud suppressed. I've run a Kestrel on both my Krink and Bulgarian '74.

Is there a good rail system for the Krink that will still allow for cleaning, and will hold zero good enough for lasers and stuff? Anyone done something like this before?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I dabbled with the AKSU a bit and have some observations, but lately have been preoccupied with SGL31.

For the AKSU the ZenitCo B11 lower HG will be fine for a laser or light on the bottom 6 o'clock rail, but your options for the 3 and 9 rails limit your light choices because they are fairly shallow. My DBAL A3 will not fit the 3 or 9 rail if the standard polymer upper HG is mounted. Surefire X300 fits but other mounts may not
There is also a gas tube rail which looks like a combo laser illuminator would be great on, and it seems to mount the same was as the fullsize AK74 B10M + B33 do

What I am progressing with nicely is the SGL31 with ZenitCo B10m+B33 top cover.

I normally run the Kashtan P1 on the top rail and am learning the in's and outs of a DBAL A3. This lets me use the PVS14 as a head mount system and shoot with the A3, but Kashtan also works through the PVS14 (though it's best to remove the eyepiece, and the eye relief can be tricky when the PVS14 is headmounted)

In this photo I am experimenting with the PVS14 as a weapon mount with a T1, but I would prefer to use Kashtan which is 2.8x and good FOV

Recently discovered that I can move the weapon mount to the ZenitCo b19 short gas tube rail, which lets the PVS14 mount so that the bulk of tube is over the rear sight leaf. This puts the PVS14 a bit too high for Kashtan P1, but I discovered that Kashtan 1P is perfectly aligned, and gets the full FOV of the PVS14
I'll get some pics up when I get back from the EU but it looks like I will be able to keep the rifle in it's normal day light mode and then just clip the PVS14 onto the gas tube for night shooting

B19 attaches to B10M. You could mount something like the DBAL here but it will block the irons of course. For me the PVS14 weapon mount will go closest to the rear sight leaf so that I get the right FOV for Kashtan 1P

Z
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is the new setup with the PVS14 on the B19 gas tube rail, which is secured to B10m along with B33. Using Kashtan 1P the sight picture is in focus and perfect even though the PVS14 looks a bit far away. Full FOV and no odd effects from the Kashtan magnification (which can cause a fisheye effect if closer to the PVS14 even though Kashtan itself never has fisheye)
Moved the grip back as well as the A3 to balance the rifle better overall

Having the TNVC weapon mount left on the B19 does block the irons. I think I will need to get the Larue weapon mount because it's QD and leaves nothing on the B19 when removed, but I wanted to try the TNVC mount. It's good and does exactly what it needs to do but I prefer a QD system

For hog hunting I think this setup would work just fine. Not particularly worried about heat issues by being in a sustained firefight with pigs

Z
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#3]
amazing! that is a sexy gun...
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Zen, how well does the PVS14 hold zero being in front of the optic?

It seems like you'd have to be really gentle with it once it's zerod.

I've used a PVS as a clip on before, but always behind the optic. I ran CWTII in this configuration.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Have not shot this combo yet but I don't think there are going to be any issues with zero. The PVS14 has a tiny bit of wiggle in the weapon mount but not enough to change what I can see through the Kashtan 1P. Kashtan is rock solid on the B33 so I expect this to be pretty dependable even if the PVS14 is jostled a bit from recoil. Seems like it will all settle down during the time it takes to get back on target
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have not shot this combo yet but I don't think there are going to be any issues with zero. The PVS14 has a tiny bit of wiggle in the weapon mount but not enough to change what I can see through the Kashtan 1P. Kashtan is rock solid on the B33 so I expect this to be pretty dependable even if the PVS14 is jostled a bit from recoil. Seems like it will all settle down during the time it takes to get back on target
View Quote
No I think if your image intensification is in front of the optic, it's gotta be 100% secure and zerod for that setup.

You can bend the outbound light from your aiming optic anyway you want (magnification, angle it through a mirrored aperture, NV, etc) and still have your POI/POA match up. It doesn't work that way if the light inbound to the aiming optic is coming from somewhere else. Your zero willl be all messed up.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I see your point but have not tested this setup yet

When I got to handle PN21K and Rakurs a few years ago there did not seem to be a significant POI shift mounting the monocular in front of the optic, but I was not pulling the trigger. Everything I learned was relayed from the owner of PN21K and his experiences

Kashtan is 2.8x so I can see how this could be an issue, but still need to test

PN21K and Rakurs, also called PDN3 complex
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Mustang duck is correct. The PVS-14 is supposed to go behind the optic. I ran one on an ar behind an eotech exps 3. I also used the USGI 3x magnifier that's made to fit the pvs 14 as shown in his picture.

Are you familiar with the Texas weapon systems dog leg rail? http://www.texasweaponsystems.com/category-s/1879.htm
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I am not disagreeing with him, I am testing out an interesting setup to see how it works.

No reason to use TWS if you have the B33. There is nothing the TWS can do better

Z
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top