Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/5/2017 11:05:23 AM EDT
Well guys/gals, just picked up my new WASR from my FFL last night. We ended up chewing the fat for a few hours so I didn't get to it last night. First thing. I ordered from Classic Firearms. Atlantic had just gone out of stock. And Classic price was better by $20 or $30. So these rifles come in different "trim" levels for lack of a better term. Some come with a standard thread protector. And some come with the 45 degree slant compensator. As it were, mine was advertised as the 1805 "stock #". Suppose to have the slant compensator on it. Attachment Attached File

As you can see it came with a standard thread protector. I immediately emailed Classic about the issue. I got an immediate response. I also sent pics of my rifle and a screenshot of my original invoice stating the rifle has a 45 degree slant compensator. I'm guessing they had run out of that model. The one I received was a 1826 "stock#". I'm not sure what that number means other than different things on the rifle. Anyhow, by the end of the day, Grayson from Classic had got back to me, and said that part was out of stock so he was having a slant compensator shipped out to me right away. Cool. The rifle was also supposed to have a military sling, but I wasn't worried about it nor did I mention it. I just want the mechanicals to be correct. So I got home last night from the FFL, and true to his word there was a little package on my freezer with the compensator in it. I'm actually impressed. It was Thursday late afternoon when he told me he was having one sent. And I got it Friday. Nice! So today I set about putting on the compensator. Yes, I know. Spring loaded plunger, left hand threads, simple operation. Unless your rifle has a nicely done tack weld at the bottom right between the sight legs. Well I have no dremel tool. But I have been a metal worker for a number of years. So a little careful cutting with the cut off wheel on the 4 1/2" grinder and bingo. I removed the standard thread protector. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Not too bad of a job if I say so. Thread protector is even usable if someone needs it in a pinch. By the way, the threads have an impressive amount of oil on them. So it would seem that having stuck/rusted thread protectors is currently a non issue. I put a drop or two of oil in/around the plunger for my anal retentive sanity and worked it in and out several times. Works fine. No issues. And then applied a couple more drops to the barrel threads for good measure. My phone is being difficult. I'll add more "finished" pics momentarily.

Edited for spelling error
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Finished rifle. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

So in all I'm happy with the rifle. Nice wood. Very minimal cant on front sight. I'm anal and it's minimal enough that I'm going to leave it alone. Came with a MAGPUL 30 round magazine. "That'll do pig, that'll do."
And furthermore, I'm impressed with the level of service I got from Classic Firearms. First purchase from them. Even with a problem they made it right by me. Hope you guys/gals like the rifle. Looks like the WASR is still a good option.  Oh yeah. Cuz I'm sure at least one of you is wondering. The date code after the SN is 16. So I'm thinking it was built last year.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#2]
They have many different variants, or SKU numbers. Thread protector tac welded, slant break, bayo lug, no bayo lug, wood furniture, & plastic. Each time we ordered some, a different variant arrived. They ship what they have. The only thing we could count on was getting a Romy Wasr. We haven't seen any in a year. Now Century sends us the N Paps. Good gun too.  GARY
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice rifle but get a least 1 steel mag for glamour shoots. Plastic looks ok for the AR not so much
on the AK. Well except Bakelite and Bulgarian mags. Now clean it to the pins and go shoot it!

And clean your room kid.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice rifle but get a least 1 steel mag for glamour shoots. Plastic looks ok for the AR not so much
on the AK. Well except Bakelite and Bulgarian mags. Now clean it to the pins and go shoot it!

And clean your room kid.
View Quote
Ha. Lol. Yeah it's messy. I've got seven daughters.  So a lot of the time my new acquisitions get dumped on the floor until I can organize. Obviously you can see part of my PMAG stash. I'm lucky though.  We put all of the big girls in the basement with new carpeting. Kind of like a dorm room. And the three little ones are in another bedroom. So I got the whole upstairs for my gun room.  I was surprised it came with a Magpul magazine. I was thinking it might show up with a metal one, as you said for Glamour shots. .
I was going to clean it also. But as it came out of the box, it's about as clean as can be! And well oiled to boot. No hint of metal shavings anywhere. I was pretty pleased and surprised. I popped the hood and pull the recoil spring and piston and bolt. I was surprised as hell at how clean and well oiled it was. Nothing like any of the horror stories I have ever heard.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn I need a cutoff wheel I have 2 or 3 ak's with thread protectors
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Damn I need a cutoff wheel I have 2 or 3 ak's with thread protectors
View Quote
Yep. I just took it slow and steady. A little bit at a time until I felt the thread protector break free. As you can see in the pictures, it does come very close to the threads. So a steady hand is a must.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the 1826 model does not have the bayonet lugs also. The 1826 is the cheaper model with neutered AK style features. Such as the tacked thread protector and the lack of bayonet lugs. If i was in your position i would want money back.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice rifle,glad they took care of you

Now go shoot the shit out of it

Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice rifle,glad they took care of you

Now go shoot the shit out of it

View Quote
I'm glad too. Hopefully I can get out today after I get done changing oil in the vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ha. Lol. Yeah it's messy. I've got seven daughters.  So a lot of the time my new acquisitions get dumped on the floor until I can organize. Obviously you can see part of my PMAG stash. I'm lucky though.  We put all of the big girls in the basement with new carpeting. Kind of like a dorm room. And the three little ones are in another bedroom. So I got the whole upstairs for my gun room.  I was surprised it came with a Magpul magazine. I was thinking it might show up with a metal one, as you said for Glamour shots. .
I was going to clean it also. But as it came out of the box, it's about as clean as can be! And well oiled to boot. No hint of metal shavings anywhere. I was pretty pleased and surprised. I popped the hood and pull the recoil spring and piston and bolt. I was surprised as hell at how clean and well oiled it was. Nothing like any of the horror stories I have ever heard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And clean your room kid.
Seven daughters?!? Damn dude! We need to donate this man tissue paper!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Love my WASR, she has never let me down :)
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Seven daughters? Don't put that gun in your mouth. Please don't.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Seven daughters? Don't put that gun in your mouth. Please don't.
View Quote
Ha. Not to worry. I've never subscribed to that school of thought. No gun in my mouth. I am amazed sometimes though, that I continue to stay sober. This Christmas I'll have six years without a drink.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#14]
nice
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice; good luck with it.

Did you have the opportunity to shoot it yet?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Very nice; good luck with it.

Did you have the opportunity to shoot it yet?
View Quote
Ha. Been to the range twice and both times it was a waiting game to shoot. I didn't have enough time to wait, so hopefully I can get there early after work and shoot. I've been on call this week. So maybe next week I'll find a good day to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Make the tiny investment into replacing the shit wood they send with their rifles. You won't regret. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, honestly, that is the one thing all people who actually shot their WASRs complained about.  The wood is soft and gets wiggly or cracks.  You may want to invest in a nice laminated set (Russian, American, whatever) that will look and hold up better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 on the last two posts.

I just replaced the furniture on my new WASR with a laminated Polish WBP set, except using a Magpul grip.  

A much better grip for the front end and a nicer stock, albeit a bit on the proud side around the tang.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top