BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2017 6:39:36 PM EDT
Did I do good? Can you tell me more? All I have learned about AK's until now how been which ones to buy for a "real" AK (and that is a lot to learn). I don't want to tell you what I traded for it, but suffice to say I was aggressive in snagging it. It was in rough shape when I got it, but I just finished cleaning it up and putting the original (?) furniture back on.

I could use some guidance to what I should do with it. I think I want some rosewood furniture for that classic look. I want a slant brake, and probably will pick up a cleaning rod. Where do I find that stuff for a fair price? Or would you go with the black plastic furniture and folding stock (that stuff came with it in the trade).

The bad:
1) It's missing the cleaning rod and aI think they shaved off the bayonet out on these for import.
2) The A2 style flash hider doesn't seem to want to come off, but I don't see a weld.
3) The bolt moves like butter, BUT, if I let if forward slowly it hangs open. Is that normal?

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#1]
On the bolt-yes, slingshot it like a pistol.
I had a mandi
When I devirginized it I took it to an indoor range that allows rapid  fire.
I was spraying that bitch and it rose up and destroyed the target carrier. Cost for repairs was 2 something.
I'd paid 2 something for the gun.
I just left it
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
FYI, furniture in your pics isn't original. Good news is it appears to be Chinese furniture which is pretty desirable. Egyptian AK furniture is a dark reddish brown color, the easy way to identify it is that the upper and lower handguards are made of different wood.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Some good things:

1) It was never built for single stack mags, and the 30rd Chinese mags I have fit beautifully with no wiggle at all.
2) Chrome lined barrel.

The only thing that is really bugging me right now is the flash hider. Hopefully someone can tell me if that is welded on. My Google-fu says it should've came with a slant brake. Oh, and there is no pin lock on the FSB so I'm kinda thinking it might be permanent in order to get imported after the 94 ban. No big deal I guess, I just don't like he way the A2 looks, even though it probably works better.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some good things:

1) It was never built for single stack mags, and the 30rd Chinese mags I have fit beautifully with no wiggle at all.
2) Chrome lined barrel.

The only thing that is really bugging me right now is the flash hider. Hopefully someone can tell me if that is welded on. My Google-fu says it should've came with a slant brake. Oh, and there is no pin lock on the FSB so I'm kinda thinking it might be permanent in order to get imported after the 94 ban. No big deal I guess, I just don't like he way the A2 looks, even though it probably works better.
View Quote
Yes, the ACC/Intrc Maadis were imported with double stack mags so you shouldn't have any issues there. Did you try applying heat? May just be some red locktite holding it on.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, the ACC/Intrc Maadis were imported with double stack mags so you shouldn't have any issues there. Did you try applying heat? May just be some red locktite holding it on.
View Quote
Haven't tried heat yet. I've put some tool marks on the FH already though, and I don't want to mark it up worse if it has to stay on there. No flats to get a wrench on, so I guess a flathead screwdriver through the prongs is the best way to try and twist it off.

Funny story, I asked a gun shop owner how much he thought a '94 Maadi was worth, and he said $300. That's not the funny part, that's what he would've paid me for it as a trade, which means he thinks it is worth more than $600. So the funny part is that he then says "The price on AK's has been going down, they aren't going to go up in value if you hold onto it." LOLZ.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Haven't tried heat yet. I've put some tool marks on the FH already though, and I don't want to mark it up worse if it has to stay on there. No flats to get a wrench on, so I guess a flathead screwdriver through the prongs is the best way to try and twist it off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just in case you aren't aware AK muzzle threads are left hand threaded, make sure you're not turning it the wrong way
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just in case you aren't aware AK muzzle threads are left hand threaded, make sure you're not turning it the wrong way
View Quote
Ah, holy fuck I forgot about that! Yea, it came off that way. I have a sweet 16" threaded AK barrel.

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Can someone tell me if my rifle is pre ban? I would think so since I believe all the parts are from the Egyptian factory (besides what users have swapped out over the years, like the hand guards).

So I ordered a slant brake, a classic cleaning rod from L-var (and got screwed for $16 shipping). I think that pretty much will make this an "authentic" AK right?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can someone tell me if my rifle is pre ban? I would think so since I believe all the parts are from the Egyptian factory (besides what users have swapped out over the years, like the hand guards).

So I ordered a slant brake, a classic cleaning rod from L-var (and got screwed for $16 shipping). I think that pretty much will make this an "authentic" AK right?
View Quote
Pre-ban as in pre-94 awb or pre-89 import ban? Only Steyr imported Maadis are pre-89. The two digit year it was made should be stamped in the marking on the left side just below the rear sight. They started coming in around 93 so some are pre-awb but most aren't. I believe they stopped marking the year on later imports so it's possible yours may not be marked, it's not pre-ban if that's the case.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Chinese wood on that bad boy. Go with Russian laminated wood. Also, that FSB. It looks like a Chinese one.  Does the bolt and bolt carrier serial number match the trunnion?  Receiver cover looks Chinese too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Chinese wood on that bad boy. Go with Russian laminated wood. Also, that FSB. It looks like a Chinese one.  Does the bolt and bolt carrier serial number match the trunnion?  Receiver cover looks Chinese too.
View Quote
I agree. Chinese furniture, Chinese selector, Chinese top cover, bolt carrier looks like Chinese in the white, milled pattern FSB (probably Chinese, but the bottom is flat instead of rounded as is usually the case on neutered Chinese). Also, the barrel pin looks very, very short. What does the rear sight leaf look like? Also, pics of the serial numbers on the bolt/bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Something look funny with the barrel pin.  Looks too short, it should extent all the way to each side.  

Also I have never seen an Intrac Maadi with the bottom of the front sight base ground off.  Easy enough to change out the front sight though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed on the wood, I'll have to save up for that because it costs more than I thought. Why do you say the receiver looks Chinese when the pictures show the Maadi Egypt engraving? The serials on the BCG and cover match, but the receiver is different serial, if that is the serial on the left side.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Agreed on the wood, I'll have to save up for that because it costs more than I thought. Why do you say the receiver looks Chinese when the pictures show the Maadi Egypt engraving? The serials on the BCG and cover match, but the receiver is different serial, if that is the serial on the left side.
View Quote
He was saying that the receiver cover looks Chinese, not the receiver itself. Maadi's are AKM based, and should have ribbed receiver covers, while yours has a smooth cover found on earlier pattern rifles and now current AK-74M's.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Something look funny with the barrel pin.  Looks too short, it should extent all the way to each side.  

Also I have never seen an Intrac Maadi with the bottom of the front sight base ground off.  Easy enough to change out the front sight though.
View Quote
I read that they had to grind off the bottom so bayoneted could not be attached, so I guess that is definitely a post ban thing. Your probably right about the Chinese parts since the serials are different. I guess I don't mind Chinese parts, I just wonder if they were installed by Intrac or replaced by the owner.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm willing to bet that someone used a Chinese parts kit on a Maadi receiver that already had the front trunnion installed. Show a pic of the gas block as well, since a Chinese one should be obvious as opposed to an AKM.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#17]
The more I look at the pics, it looks like a MAK-90 parts kit on an ARM receiver. Look at the hammer and pins.  Reminds of those Century MISR-90's. I think you got duped OP.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm willing to bet that someone used a Chinese parts kit on a Maadi receiver that already had the front trunnion installed. Show a pic of the gas block as well, since a Chinese one should be obvious as opposed to an AKM.
View Quote
So is the consensus that I got fucked on this deal because the only part on this thing that is authentic is the receiver? I won't really sweat some Chinese parts, but if this is not the original barrel I'll be pissed off because in that case it was falsely advertised.

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Front sight definitely isn't Egyption, looks Chinese.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The more I look at the pics, it looks like a MAK-90 parts kit on an ARM receiver. Look at the hammer and pins.  Reminds of those Century MISR-90's. I think you got duped OP.
View Quote
Well it's using an AKM front trunnion, so it shouldn't be a MISR. But yeah, definitely looks like the majority of the parts are post-ban Chinese.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So is the consensus that I got fucked on this deal because the only part on this thing that is authentic is the receiver? I won't really sweat some Chinese parts, but if this is not the original barrel I'll be pissed off because in that case it was falsely advertised.

https://s2.postimg.org/twgxfp8ex/IMG_1295.jpg
https://s2.postimg.org/rt6i818m1/IMG_1296.jpg
https://s2.postimg.org/uojlewcm1/IMG_1297.jpg
https://s2.postimg.org/iny5e657d/IMG_1298.jpg
https://s2.postimg.org/w651qghcp/IMG_1299.jpg
View Quote
Okay, now things are getting interesting. Definitely a milled pattern barrel assembly. More interesting about that is that it was once a threaded Type 3 barrel that had the threads turned off in order to be installed in a press and pin trunnion. Front trunnion is also NOT Egyptian (Hungarian?). Also, you do NOT have a barrel pin installed! So do NOT shoot it until you do. Looks like a virgin front trunnion that was never drilled for the barrel pin. Also, whoever installed that rear sight based bashed the shit out of it. Given the overall seemingly lack of insight into properly building an AK I'd also be suspicious of the headspace. I would also be suspicious of the front trunnion riveting, as it may have been done without the barrel removed.

ETA: Sent you an IM, OP. If you got it for a good price, we can get it running, and running safely. If you paid market or over market, then I would get your money back.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Okay, now things are getting interesting. Definitely a milled pattern barrel assembly. More interesting about that is that it was once a threaded Type 3 barrel that had the threads turned off in order to be installed in a press and pin trunnion. Front trunnion is also NOT Egyptian (Hungarian?). Also, you do NOT have a barrel pin installed! So do NOT shoot it until you do. Looks like a virgin front trunnion that was never drilled for the barrel pin. Also, whoever installed that rear sight based bashed the shit out of it. Given the overall seemingly lack of insight into properly building an AK I'd also be suspicious of the headspace.
View Quote
Agreed. OP you got screwed and they screwed up a nice barrel.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Okay, now things are getting interesting. Definitely a milled pattern barrel assembly. More interesting about that is that it was once a threaded Type 3 barrel that had the threads turned off in order to be installed in a press and pin trunnion. Front trunnion is also NOT Egyptian (Hungarian?). Also, you do NOT have a barrel pin installed! So do NOT shoot it until you do. Looks like a virgin front trunnion that was never drilled for the barrel pin. Also, whoever installed that rear sight based bashed the shit out of it. Given the overall seemingly lack of insight into properly building an AK I'd also be suspicious of the headspace.
View Quote
Here is what the barrel pin hole looks like. I can't tell if it is actually missing or not.

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Here is what the barrel pin hole looks like. I can't tell if it is actually missing or not.

https://s18.postimg.org/g2y8i2dh5/IMG_1300.jpg
https://s18.postimg.org/cxdmruuux/IMG_1301.jpg
View Quote
It is missing. The hole should continue through to the other side. It has the starter hole, which is common on virgin front trunnions. I mean, I guess it could have a blind barrel pin, but I highly doubt it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It is missing. The hole should continue through to the other side. It has the starter hole, which is common on virgin front trunnions.
View Quote
What should I do with it?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Holy shit. So this is a frankengun entirely and isn't even put together right? It doesn't even have the Maadi barrel?

What should I do with it???
View Quote
Barrel definitely isn't Maadi, as Maadi's use AKM pattern barrels, and what you have is a Type 3 (milled) pattern barrel. Like I said, we could get it fixed, no problem. But it would require new parts unless you want to keep the (incorrect) parts already on it. The barrel is probably Chinese, which is valuable, but it could be Hungarian, Bulgarian, Polish, etc. It's definitely a military surplus barrel, and not US made. Would need to see the proof marks (if any) that are on the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I have serious concerns on the head space on this rifle.  Even if it had a pin, I wouldn't shoot it without getting the HS checked.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Barrel definitely isn't Maadi, as Maadi's use AKM pattern barrels, and what you have is a Type 3 (milled) pattern barrel. Like I said, we could get it fixed, no problem. But it would require new parts unless you want to keep the (incorrect) parts already on it. The barrel is probably Chinese, which is valuable, but it could be Hungarian, Bulgarian, Polish, etc. It's definitely a military surplus barrel, and not US made. Would need to see the proof marks (if any) that are on the barrel.
View Quote
Barrel has an Z in a square, and a P (more of a triangle with a line down it) in a square, both on the ribbed section under the handguards. Under the front reunion the barrel has a number 4 and then what looks like a triangle with a line down the center of it (but it is worn).
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

But it sounds like your telling me the gun is shit, and so fixing it would be throwing good money after bad wouldn't it? Is this thing even worth $300? Would the Taliban even find this freakin gun acceptable?
View Quote
The gun is shit as it sits, because it would be unsafe to use. However, the parts used are not shit (given that they haven't been messed with). In my opinion, it would be worth at least $300. As of right now, from what I can determine from pics, you would just need to verify that the front trunnion is properly installed, verify headspace, and then drill and pin the barrel. Once that's done, it should work fine (again, given there are no other issues). But if you spent market price money on this, I would attempt to get me money back. If you spent $300, I would think it would be worth it to get it to work. But others may not agree.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I traded for it so I probably won't be able to do anything about it. The guy said it was a Maadi and "as close to a real AK as you will find".
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Barrel has an S in a square, and a P in a square, both on the ribbed section under the handguards. Under the front reunion the barrel has a number 4 and then what looks like a triangle with a line down the center of it (but it is worn).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Barrel has an S in a square, and a P in a square, both on the ribbed section under the handguards. Under the front reunion the barrel has a number 4 and then what looks like a triangle with a line down the center of it (but it is worn).
Sounds like a Russian barrel based on the triangle with a 1 (looks like a line) in the middle. The other stamps may also indicate Russian, but can also indicate East German over stamps, which have been found on Russian barrels. This makes the barrel even more valuable, but less so since the threads have been turned off. But I can guarantee you someone would really want that barrel for a build.

Quoted:
I traded for it so I probably won't be able to do anything about it. The guy said it was a Maadi and "as close to a real AK as you will find". Bullshit. This is why I never bought an AK before because there is so much rubbish out there, and my first time after months of research I got ripped off.
That may have intentionally tried to pass off a turd, but he could also just be ignorant as to what he had. Most people would just see the words "Maadi" on the receiver and think that's what it is. If you want to make it look like an actual Maadi, it can be done. If you just want a functional rifle with the parts you currently have, it can also be done. You'd probably lose your ass if you tried to outright sell it, unfortunately.

ETA: Do the proofs look like this:

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sounds like a Russian barrel based on the triangle with a 1 (looks like a line) in the middle. The other stamps may also indicate Russian, but can also indicate East German over stamps, which have been found on Russian barrels. This makes the barrel even more valuable, but less so since the threads have been turned off. But I can guarantee you someone would really want that barrel for a build.

That may have intentionally tried to pass off a turd, but he could also just be ignorant as to what he had. Most people would just see the words "Maadi" on the receiver and think that's what it is. If you want to make it look like an actual Maadi, it can be done. If you just want a functional rifle with the parts you currently have, it can also be done. You'd probably lose your ass if you tried to outright sell it, unfortunately.

ETA: Do the proofs look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/V9DOOeu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/O94KQF3.jpg
View Quote
Yes, those are the markings. What does it mean that the barrel threads have been "turned off"?

If I am understanding correctly then, it has good parts, but needs some professional help? If it's a Russian barrel then I can't complain. But what's up with the milled parts? How much to make it a desirable rifle?

To be clear, I didn't buy this to resell it for a profit or anything. I also didn't buy it to shoot the crap out of it. I just wanted an AK that was fairly authentic and something to be proud of, something that would be compatible with all standard AK parts, and deserves the reputation as a highly reliable gun. I don't really care if it is Chinese or Bulgarian. I don't want milled parts mixed with stamped parts though because that causes shit not to fit right or reliability (and resale value) to be fucked.

What would you do with this gun?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#33]
With the craziness of this thing. I would strip it down. Attempt to unscrew the barrel (they could have threaded the trunnion).  Rebuild it with a US barrel and Romy kit. Then sell everything.  Then start looking for another AK.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes, those are the markings. What does it mean that the barrel threads have been "turned off"?

If I am understanding correctly then, it has good parts, but needs some professional help? If it's a Russian barrel then I can't complain. But what's up with the milled parts? How much to make it a desirable rifle?
View Quote
The barrel started out threaded on the chamber end, and it was meant to be screwed into a milled receiver, kind of like a traditional bolt action rifle barrel. Someone took that barrel, put it in a lathe (hopefully), and "turned" the threads off the barrel making it smooth like a standard AK barrel meant to be pressed into a trunnion/receiver, as opposed to screwed in. Yes, it has a mix of different parts, but they're good parts from outward appearances. If you just want to use the existing parts, it would be an easy fix. Check your messages, and we'll see what we can do.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
With the craziness of this thing. I would strip it down. Attempt to unscrew the barrel (they could have threaded the trunnion).  Rebuild it with a US barrel and Romy kit. Then sell everything.  Then start looking for another AK.
View Quote
Yeah, if the barrel is in fact screwed into the front trunnion, then I would definitely just remove the entire barrel assembly (requires pressing off the rear sight base) and sell it, as you should get a pretty penny for it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The barrel started out threaded on the chamber end, and it was meant to be screwed into a milled receiver, kind of like a traditional bolt action rifle barrel. Someone took that barrel, put it in a lathe (hopefully), and "turned" the threads off the barrel making it smooth like a standard AK barrel meant to be pressed into a trunnion/receiver, as opposed to screwed in. Yes, it has a mix of different parts, but they're good parts from outward appearances. If you just want to use the existing parts, it would be an easy fix. Check your messages, and we'll see what we can do.
View Quote
Ohhhhh, yea, that's exactly what it is. You can see the threads on the barrel showing through the barrel pin hole! It was not lathed. So are you sure the trunion isn't threaded?? Does it even need the barrel pin if the trunion is threaded too? Does this mean the barrel is more valuable, or that something even more fucky is going on? I'll check my PM, many thanks!
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ohhhhh, yea, that's exactly what it is. You can see the threads on the barrel showing through the barrel pin hole! It was not lathed. So are you sure the reunion isn't threaded?? I'll check my PM, many thanks!
View Quote
Definitely a possibility, and it does look like the threads are showing, which would explain why the barrel pin hole in the trunnion wasn't drilled all the way through.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Definitely a possibility, and it does look like the threads are showing, which would explain why the barrel pin hole in the trunnion wasn't drilled all the way through.
View Quote
That's good news for me right? Certainly a Maadi receiver with a Russian barrel isn't a total garbage can gun right?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#39]
interesting rifle OP.  Hope you get it worked out to your liking 
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's good news for me right? Certainly a Maadi receiver with a Russian barrel isn't a total garbage can gun right?
View Quote
It's still a mutt of parts that probably isn't worth what you traded for it as is. The barrel, if still useable as a Type 3 barrel, would be worth more removed from that build and sold to someone that could use it. Then use those funds to by an AKM barrel, like the new Polish ones, and pocket the remainder of the money.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Is that a shim in there?

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
Looks like it. Very interesting setup.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
Looks like it, yes.

I'm wondering if this rifle wasn't sold in this configuration, because I did some googling and found that some of the Intrac AK's were sold with Chinese parts, which are "less desirable".
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Here is what I would do, if it weren't for one potentially BIG thing:
I would strip all of the various AK-47 and Type 56 parts off of the Maadi ARM (AKM) receiver, including the barrel. Once the barrel is removed, I would evaluate the trunnion riveting, and re-do it if necessary (very likely). I would then rebuild the receiver with a European AKM parts kit of some sort, and sell off the AK-47 and Type 56 parts to recoup some of the cost.

So, what is the potentially BIG problem with this rifle? It has to do with the missing original trunnion, which used to display the rifle's serial number. This would make all of the other stuff kind of irrelevant, at least to me. However, IF this was imported as an unbuilt receiver only, and that actually IS the original trunnion and serial number, then you are A-OK. That serial number is not a normal Maadi serial number, but maybe the serial numbers were added to the receivers by the importer here in the U.S.A.

You've definitely got a Mystery Rifle right there...
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Looks like it, yes.

I'm wondering if this rifle wasn't sold in this configuration, because I did some googling and found that some of the Intrac AK's were sold with Chinese parts, which are "less desirable".
View Quote
I doubt it. Those had Chinese front trunnions as well, which have a completely different rivet pattern from what you have. Stripped Maadi receivers have been sold at various points in history that people have used for builds.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, the Type 56 butt stock won't fit on a Chinese AK anymore, since it was fitted to the Maadi receiver, so the butt stock is basically junk.
View Quote
Why wouldn't it? Material would have to be added to make it fit since Type 56 receivers are thicker. Removing the added material should allow it to fit again. Unless there's something that I'm not thinking of.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:37:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Looking again, the heads of the rear trunnion rivets on the right hand side also look awfully small to have been crushed correctly. But that could just the angle and lighting.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:42:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why wouldn't it? Material would have to be added to make it fit since Type 56 receivers are thicker. Removing the added material should allow it to fit again. Unless there's something that I'm not thinking of.
View Quote
Oops, I was thinking of it backwards (Euro stock into Chinese receiver). Sorry about that... I'll edit that part out of my post. I believe that the stock screw spacing is different between the Chinese and European rifles, but that is an easy enough thing to fix on a stock.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Oops, I was thinking of it backwards (Euro stock into Chinese receiver). Sorry about that... I'll edit that part out of my post.
View Quote
No reason to be sorry. It's easy to get swapped.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#50]
One thing that gives me hope is how dirty this gun was. Aside from the barrel, the rest definitely hadn't been cleaned for hundreds of rounds. But that just means it shoots, not that it is worth what I paid for it.

What I'm going to do is inquire about the history of the gun to see if he can explain the configuration. What I believe is that the receiver was imported by Intrac and the rest was put together by someone knowledgeable enough to use a Russian barrel, which may have been another company connected to Intrac (CAI?), or may have been a garage enthusiast. If he can't refute the fact that the parts are not Maadi, which would be impossible, then I'll segueway into asking for a full or partial refund. Clearly the gun is worth about half of what I traded for, because I took him at his word that it was a Maadi rifle with all Maadi parts.

Maybe the best way to explain it is that, even though it is stamped as a ARM, is is really more of a MISR. It is quite possible Intrac produced this while transitioning to the MISR brand, because the description of a MISR stamped AK fits this gun well, and of course it is worth about half.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top