Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/17/2017 8:15:01 PM EDT
I finally got around to putting a scope on my FM-VEPR (the new tactical VEPR that just came out). It's the 7.62x39 version. I had the silencer attached also. I shot some groups from a sandbag today and I was surprised by the accuracy. I had only used its irons up until today. So I shot a 10-round group at 50 yards and it was almost all in one big hole. Then a group at 100 yards and it was a 2.5" group. And I'm not a good shooter. I'm just an amateur who shoots for fun. But this VEPR is the most accurate AK I've shot. I've owned five of them and this is definitely the best AK. It's 12 ounces heavier than a standard AK, but for a little more weight, it's much more accurate. A good tradeoff. And it doesn't change POI when it heats up (it gets a little hotter with the silencer). In the past, my two WASRs shot 6 MOA even with a scope. My SLR shoots 4 MOA. The old AK74 I had shot about 5. And now I have the VEPR and it's shooting about 3 MOA or less. And that's 10-shot groups. I am thinking, how much more accurate would it be in the hands of someone who's better at shooting?

The guy next to me at the range was shooting a bolt action centerfire rifle with a scope and was worried I would crossfire onto his target. But I ended up with better targets and to his horror, my 100 yard target was as good as his! Then someone with an AR got mixed up and shot my target. I noticed he was bench shooting also and his groups were about as mine were. Then I did some offhand shooting and all shots were on paper at 100 yards. This new VEPR is great. Basically the same accuracy as some low-end AR15s. I'm wanting to get a fixed 4x scope for it, just dedicated to that VEPR only. Or something lightweight like a red dot. I don't think the guy with the bolt action was a good shooter. I was watching his target and he was all over the paper. I took it as a personal challenge when he said AKs aren't too accurate. I shot a 4" group at 100 right after that on my target right next to his target. I don't know why people say that AKs aren't accurate. Maybe the 40-year-old rebuilt parts kits aren't the greatest, but because of  what I'm seeing with these modern production AKs, I have complete confidence in the weapon (especially VEPR).
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#1]
So the top photo is my 50 yd target and the bottom photo is my 100 yard target. I didn't get the scope zeroed since I ran out of time. But from the group size you can get an idea how good the barrel is in this VEPR. The pink center is 2" square. Most of my other targets from today were about 3 MOA from the bench and of course I was much worse offhand. Oh and I was shooting Wolf HP ammo.

Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice shooting.  I only tried one of my AK rifles at 100 yards with a scope but I wasn't brave enough to shoot 10 shot groups.  Looks like you got a good one there.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that you may find that your rifle will shoot some ammo much better than others so you may want to try a few different brands.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Good shooting man, tight groups. The VEPR's seem to be very accurate.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. It's not me, it's the rifle. If I took it out of my shaky hands and put it in yours, it would be better still.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The guy next to me at the range was shooting a bolt action centerfire rifle with a scope and was worried I would crossfire onto his target.
View Quote

I can't tell you how many times guys next to me or a bench down have insisted I or my friends were shooting their targets at 50 yards LOL. I mean some people simply can't accept that an AK is going to drop rounds inside 4 MOA or less and will look for any excuse to get in a huff. Comical

That is really good shooting too and I bet a nice feeling to have them group like that. I don't shoot for groups myself often but when I put my mind to it and get results like that it is very satisfying. Glad to hear you have a shooter and thanks for posting your results

Z
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey BassFishing, a pic of new AK would have been nice too.    Congrats on the nice groups.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top