Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/15/2017 1:44:14 AM EDT
Man is their G2 trigger an improvement over the stock 2-stage Arsenal trigger! After polishing the hammer face and trigger hook, the bolt carrier no longer hangs up and the pull is a very, very smooth 3 pounds even. I had a G2 in a Waffen Werks rifle some years ago, but it wasn't nearly as smooth as this trigger. It is now easily the best trigger I have in any rifle I own (excluding my Remington 700's Timney trigger). Kudos to Tapco for making a great, affordable trigger.

The Arsenal trigger is junk, unfortunately. Gritty and it would get hung up if I didn't let it reset fast enough. As much as I like 2-stage triggers, this one was a real disappointment.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I like Tapco parts.  Not a huge fan of their furniture designs (weird AK parts inspired by other rifles like SAW grips and Galil guards), but I've never had any problems with the Tapco parts I have had in the past.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#2]
After grinding the 2 stage (bump) off my arsanal its kinda nice. I'll never understand why they put such a crappy trigger on a good gun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#3]
They never designed the trigger parts. That was done by Gordon Tech, or G-Tech. Tapco then bought all the machinery from them to continue making the trigger parts. So that's their only quality product. Years ago they sold good quality surplus FAL parts, but the supply dried up. Now they sell low cost [low quality] parts, but the trigger parts are good thanks to Gordon Tech. GARY
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Call me weird but i prefer the G2 over the Geissele AK trigger
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a waffen werks with a tapco trigger in it. It's very smooth.  Great trigger!  I was surprised i was a tapco.  Considering one for my vepr, because the 2 sage arsenal trigger does in fact, suck
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got a used O-pap with a Tapco trigger set.  It's the best, smoothest AK trigger I've ever felt.  Does not look polished.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I rather like Tapco.  I have probably 50 of their AK74 mags and several triggers.  I like the saw grip for my giant hands also.  I use the same 10 or so mags for 7+ thousand rounds without issue so far.

Why do people hate tapco so bad?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:19:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Tapco safe thread?

Is their trigger better than the ALG AK trigger? Or on the same level at least?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tapco safe thread?

View Quote
Well, IMHO the ALG is much better than the G2. But, the G2 is a huge improvement over the OEM trigger.

And the price of a G2 is definitely well worth the upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why do people hate tapco so bad?
View Quote
Because they now make cheap JUNK. They went from QUALITY FAL surplus parts, to the crap they make today. But they target the "financially challenged" market, & seem to be doing quite well.  Around here, real Chinese surplus AK mags sell for $10 at the gun show, while Tapco AK mags are only $3 less. Wouldn't you rather spend $3 more for the real deal?  GARY
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tapco safe thread?

View Quote
I had a ALG and did not like it,Tapco G2 in all of my AK's unless its a Chinese AK,those are the best of any trigger

Lots of people are also complaining of the ALG peening the tail of the carriers,i didnt keep mine in long enough to have that issue
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:43:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tapco safe thread?

View Quote
I like the G2 better.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I had a ALG and did not like it,Tapco G2 in all of my AK's unless its a Chinese AK,those are the best of any trigger

Lots of people are also complaining of the ALG peening the tail of the carriers,i didnt keep mine in long enough to have that issue
View Quote
To be fair, a lot of people have that same complaint with G2's. In both cases it isn't something to be too concerned with. Nearly every parts kit I've had that's seen some military use has a peened carrier tail.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Because they now make cheap JUNK. They went from QUALITY FAL surplus parts, to the crap they make today. But they target the "financially challenged" market, & seem to be doing quite well.  Around here, real Chinese surplus AK mags sell for $10 at the gun show, while Tapco AK mags are only $3 less. Wouldn't you rather spend $3 more for the real deal?  GARY
View Quote
74 mags are different, pro mags are crap but the Tapco are awesome.  I can agree on 47 mags that's true though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't understand the tapco hate. My tapco ak mags have never done anything but work. And I like the look of my tapco handgaurd on my very pricey S12 sbs(expertly done by Evlutionz LLC. It runs everything ).Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
One great Tapco AK part and a very welcome one was the one-piece extension brake for the AMD65. The two-piece one that TGI and others fabricated using a 2" barrel extension and the original brake was longer than it needed to be and was always poorly installed, causing it to droop at an angle and break the weld when shooting. the problem was the extension brake was not tightened and indexed before welding - just indexed without tightening and tacked to the sight base. This allowed the brake to vibrate during shooting which stressed the tack weld, ultimately breaking it. The Tapco unit is the exact correct length to make 16", is concentric with the barrel and the brake actually functions better than the original while being externally a copy of it. I sure am glad I got mine before they stopped making them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I recently swapped all of my G2s for Century RAK-1 FCGs.  I've been shooting with these FCGs for several months now and I feel that they're far better than the G2 for the typical AK shooter who doesn't want to go all the way to an ALG or other high-priced FCG.

Tapco does have some good stuff here and there, but IMO the G2 is no longer the best option out there.

I wrote a review/writeup on it in case you're interested,  

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/163212_I_decided_to_try_replacing_all_of_my_G2s_with_the_RAK_1.html
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the G2 trigger that came on my WASR, although the hammer was like hitting a speed bump at 60mph when manually racked. A little dremel work smoothed that out.

The G2 is IMHO WAY better than the factory trigger on my Draco. Wish I had a gauge to measure trigger pull as it feels at least two pounds lighter than the 5 lb GI triggers on my ARs. I'd consider spending money to upgrade the Draco trigger but the G2 is good enough for me as is.

Also have some Tapco mags, never had any issue. At the time Tapco & Korean were the only cheap options for 20 round mags. Tapcos have to be filed down to fit my WASR or Draco which is a hassle but you've got a custom wobble free mag when you're done.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top