https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC3xILSrZ6M

Enjoyski

Cheers.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool video thanks

Interesting to see that 5.45 rifles are in service for police and other smaller units. I got a laugh when he talked about the AKSU being a status symbol and how bad everyone wanted one, then said "Every real soldier knows the only thing Suchka is good for is to shoot yourself"

Z
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder why they hate on the Suchka so much. Must be in FA where it performs bad.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Kool video!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder why they hate on the Suchka so much. Must be in FA where it performs bad.
View Quote
From what I understand it's something left over from Afghanistan, where they were initially issued as vehicle crew/PDW type weapons, but then ended up seeing combat they were not intended for as Afghans increasingly started halting convoys in those low valley single column roads. Shooting back from behind a stalled vehicle at hidden figures up in the rocks, not an ideal role for it and not what it was really intended for. The sights suck for longer range shots and 5.45 loses a lot of useful velocity out of it.

Those a probably a few reasons why Russia moved on to the carbine style 105  for vehicle crews.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think it's the ballistics. The short barrel cuts 5.45 down to about 2,200 FPS and significantly increases muzzle blast and muzzle flash. It's within a few hundred feet per second of .22 Magnum. Really neuters the cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny how he shit-talks Chinese AKs.. He states; "You can feel the quality when you pick them up" as he picks up the chicom mag.. Hilarious .. He is a faithful to his country's product

Love his comments on the deplorable care that the rifles are subjected to
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:21:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think it's the ballistics. The short barrel cuts 5.45 down to about 2,200 FPS and significantly increases muzzle blast and muzzle flash. It's within a few hundred feet per second of .22 Magnum. Really neuters the cartridge.
View Quote
Yup when you take a rifle and cut its barrel in half it tends to kill its effectiveness. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine seems to shoot well out 500. Just sayin. Of course that's just steel targets on a range.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Remember though that 7N6 is designed to tumble and it is not velocity dependent on terminal effects. They specifically designed the cartridge this way and though I am sure the the ASKU had nothing to do with the design of the bullet, it benefits from it more than an SBR AR for example
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Remember though that 7N6 is designed to tumble and it is not velocity dependent on terminal effects. They specifically designed the cartridge this way and though I am sure the the ASKU had nothing to do with the design of the bullet, it benefits from it more than an SBR AR for example
View Quote
Valid point, but in urban combat, barrier penetration becomes a pretty significant factor, and a 53 grain bullet at 2,200 FPS isn't going to impress anyone at that game.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Funny how he shit-talks Chinese AKs.. He states; "You can feel the quality when you pick them up" as he picks up the chicom mag.. Hilarious .. He is a faithful to his country's product
View Quote
I was talking to a couple Russians in a Spokane gunshop about the SKS they were admiring (Russian), about what great rifles they are, etc.  These guys could have served in A-stan, they were older gents.

When I said mine was Chinese, I became the object of their pity.

[ETA: Great video BTW;  'Special tape' / 'Underwear sling' = AK Bling!]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Valid point, but in urban combat, barrier penetration becomes a pretty significant factor, and a 53 grain bullet at 2,200 FPS isn't going to impress anyone at that game.
View Quote
Agree completely on this

General note I wonder how well 7N22 does for intermediate barriers, and if it still uses the unstable tumbling effect of 7N6. Like the West the former Soviet Union and Russia modernized bullets along the way as lessons learned set in
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Syrian made magazines?! Damnit! Now I have something new to lust for.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:42:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Interesting video and that Russian looks more like FSB than a reporter.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:40:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Love videos like this. Some of the shit you see on these fighting weapons is truly bizarre / fascinating. There appear to be some decent weapons over there. If these guys had good cleaning kits and a USMC-like dedication to wep maintenance, they'd be good to go.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I always find it fascinating how fully automatic weapons are just everywhere in third world countries, while being illegal pretty much in all surrounding areas. I know the black market provides them, as well as foreign governments, but I always wonder how many of them were semi autos that were simply upgraded to full auto for combat.

I believe it would be extremely easy to convert any semi auto rifle to full auto. The only reason there aren't thousands of full auto AR's and AK's here is because people obey the law, and and criminals don't even see much use in full auto within our borders.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I always find it fascinating how fully automatic weapons are just everywhere in third world countries, while being illegal pretty much in all surrounding areas. I know the black market provides them, as well as foreign governments, but I always wonder how many of them were semi autos that were simply upgraded to full auto for combat.

I believe it would be extremely easy to convert any semi auto rifle to full auto. The only reason there aren't thousands of full auto AR's and AK's here is because people obey the law, and and criminals don't even see much use in full auto within our borders.
View Quote
that is probably quite true in Mexico, but in the Middle East I don't think that is the case.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Love his comments on the deplorable care that the rifles are subjected to
View Quote
I talked guns with a lot of old timers in Afghanistan and they all regarded Chinese AKs poorly as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#20]
yet they are held as the Golden Standard here....
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
yet they are held as the Golden Standard here....
View Quote
Exactly.. I think it has more to do with national pride in "the original" than quality of the weapons. Chinese run just as good as Russian and just as accurate for just as long.

Your mileage may vary or your taste differ in preferred tonic...
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I found it interesting that the reporter was ATACs camo and a US style helmet.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I found it interesting that the reporter was ATACs camo and a US style helmet.
View Quote
Russia rips off U.S. gear all the time. Over on the AK files someone asked about a Russian gear shop (it appears as though this place sells overruns of RUS government equipment) and provided a link. There were some pretty clear HSGI taco pouch ripoffs on there for like $18. 
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I talked guns with a lot of old timers in Afghanistan and they all regarded Chinese AKs poorly as well.
View Quote
Iraqis do as well.   In the weapons markets there you could get a milled polytech cheaper than a WASR.....
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#25]
A friend of mine in Kurdistan has acquired a FA AK and a M16a4 within the last year... dirt cheap too.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Exactly.. I think it has more to do with national pride in "the original" than quality of the weapons. Chinese run just as good as Russian and just as accurate for just as long.

Your mileage may vary or your taste differ in preferred tonic...
View Quote
The blued finish of Chinese rifles is not as durable as the parkerizing and paint of the typical Euro AKM. That's about the only gripe I would have.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top