Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/26/2017 7:47:06 AM EDT
Hey everyone! I'm wanting to build myself a 7.62x39 truck gun (that will not stay in the truck) that is "non-traditional." Looking to do a MagPul folding stock, probably an Aimpoint, rail up front, Griffin mount for my F1 suppressor, etc. I was looking at left-side charging handle options and ran across the Dublin AK Systems Ratchet Charging System (RCS). It's basically a non-reciprocating HK-style charging handle that replaces the gas tube. It's not really expensive and I really like the idea of it, but has anyone actually used one? Are they good quality/reliable? I'd probably end up modifying the original charging handle so it's shorter, but still usable as a backup. Any opinions or other suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

http://www.dublinaksystems.com/rcs.html
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#1]
To me, it just looks like more stuff to slap on your rifle that can potentially malfunction.  I really don't see how something like this saves reload time since you spend a few extra moments trying to get a hold of the charging handle.  This charging system is one of the things I like the least about HK rifles.  My advice would be to become proficient with the AK as-is.  It's not that bad and, with some practice, I believe you will find that something such as this will offer no benefit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#2]
How much are they? I know a couple of companies are making similar, but I haven't seen any available for sale yet.

I did a left side charging handle on one of my AK74's and I love it.  I'd like to do it to the rest of mine but I want non reciprocating, mine smashed the crap out of my thumb once.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#3]
$139.99 according to their site.

I'm not really concerned with the "saving time" aspect. I really just like the idea of having a charging handle on the left, especially non-reciprocating. I love my AKs and I'm pretty proficient with them, but I've always felt that the right-side charging handle is the weak point of the design.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#4]
No one has one? What are you guys using for left side charging?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No one has one? What are you guys using for left side charging?
View Quote
The majority of AK owner simply don't have left side charging, but I'd say the majority that do have the original charging handle welded to the left side of the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember a few years ago (2-5ish? can't remember ) they were making some waves but haven't heard much about them or any products like that in a while
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$139.99 according to their site.

I'm not really concerned with the "saving time" aspect. I really just like the idea of having a charging handle on the left, especially non-reciprocating. I love my AKs and I'm pretty proficient with them, but I've always felt that the right-side charging handle is the weak point of the design.
View Quote
If you aren't concerned with it enhancing/speeding up your reloads, why buy one?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top