Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/17/2017 6:47:55 PM EDT
out of the current on-the-market offerings, what's the current ak 'gold standard' akin to the 6920 of the AR world?

is it the sam7?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Karen's custom of you want to spend 2500.....I like my Bulgarian Arsenal.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Whoops....Krebs custom.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
SAM7R
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
If you can find one, SLR-107FR
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Im going to have to say the milled SAM7

Have had several 107 models CR,FR,UR and the milled offering is just better quality over the stamped models imo
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im going to have to say the milled SAM7

Have had several 107 models CR,FR,UR and the milled offering is just better quality over the stamped models imo
View Quote
Agree on SAM7 if you're talking a 7.62 gun.

5.45 and 5.56 I generally prefer stamped.  SLR-104 is my Favorite AK.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Valmet Rk62

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Valmets are awesome no doubt, but they haven't been available for nearly 20 28 years.  The OP is talking AK's that are manufactured now and sold in the US.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Valmets are awesome no doubt, but they haven't been available for nearly 20 28 years.  The OP is talking AK's that are manufactured now and sold in the US.
View Quote
I would not buy an AK that was made in the USA except for rebuilds of existing Combloc style rifles. Most of them are crap quality.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I would not buy an AK that was made in the USA except for rebuilds of existing Combloc style rifles. Most of them are crap quality.
View Quote
I agree 100%
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Arsenal.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Vepr fm11 is up there
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Polytech Legend..........you know I'm right.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Hungarian sa85m
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would agree with this and any other Chinese AK,but the OP is interested in currently made offerings that aren't  $2000+ collectable  rifles

I believe he is looking for the common good quality AK that is found fairly easily almost anywhere at a fair price
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#16]
if that's the case there's really only one option available: bulgarian. We hardly import AKs anymore, the options are REALLY limited if you're talking currently imported. Romy, Yugo, and Bulg are it...no?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Currently imported? The SLR Series.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess what I'm also kind of asking is which model is the closest to 'standard issue'- for instance, again, using the ar15- the colt le6920 is the 'standard' because it is as close as you can get to whats actually issued, and it's the base model that all m4 variants are based on.  Which rifle is close to a solid copy of a military AKM and is considered the 'standard' rifle? I'm guessing one of the arsenals? and yeah the polytech legend is perfect but way too expensive.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#19]
how about an Egyptian Maadi? soviet tooling etc. Should be pretty close to the 'real thing' minus the FA aspects.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I guess what I'm also kind of asking is which model is the closest to 'standard issue'- for instance, again, using the ar15- the colt le6920 is the 'standard' because it is as close as you can get to whats actually issued, and it's the base model that all m4 variants are based on.  Which rifle is close to a solid copy of a military AKM and is considered the 'standard' rifle? I'm guessing one of the arsenals? and yeah the polytech legend is perfect but way too expensive.
View Quote
The problem is "standard Issue" varied from country to country.  Russian made, Polish made, E German Made, Romanian made, yugo made.   Also Russia changed from the 7.62 x 39 AKM to the AK74 in 5.45 x 39 in the 70's.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:26:08 AM EDT
[#21]
As far as standard issue or milspec, I feel an AK74M/AKS74 clone like an SGL31 or SLR104 is closest to any kind of actual spec. On face value, they aren't the highest end AK out there (but neither is the 6920) but they are close enough in parts quality and build quality.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd have to say the VEPR FM-AK47-11. A very solid, well made, Russian AK.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
SLR107 for 7.62x39. SLR104 for 5.45x39.  Both currently available from distributors.

Made in Bulgaria on Comblock tooling in a Military factory.  They are standard AK types and can both use a wide variety of AKM pattern accessories.  

This is where the VEPR fails your test.  VEPRs are like Piston ARs,  they don't use standard parts and are heavier, but some people believe they are better than milspec.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Arsenal

I have a few and all are issue free,my lack of $$ are the only thing keeping me from buying more
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
how about an Egyptian Maadi? soviet tooling etc. Should be pretty close to the 'real thing' minus the FA aspects.
View Quote
Maadis are nice if you just want as close to a classic AKM as you can get but Chinese, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Finnish, even Russian guns are all much nicer quality wise.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I would normally say the Arsenal SAM7 SF because it's my favorite, I also have some SGL21's and 31's.

But lately I've been into fixing up the WASR's and making them tacticool.
So I can't really have an opinion anymore.

Before and After:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:Maadis are nice if you just want as close to a classic AKM as you can get but Chinese, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Finnish, even Russian guns are all much nicer quality wise.
View Quote
In a way, an AK being 'not so nice' on the quality front is more authentic than the pretty-enough-to-satisfy-american-civilian-market guns, right?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#28]
A solid and reliable AK with as many Combloc parts no matter the brand.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you can find one, SLR-107FR
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Welcome to the dark side where there is no gold standard that can be agreed upon, and if it was made in a communist country its GTG if it was a parts build its GTG, if it was built be anyone else its Meh.  There is your scale, the more it cost the lest people will talk crap.  No one said we weren't a snobby trailer trash type of group
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Vepr
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In a way, an AK being 'not so nice' on the quality front is more authentic than the pretty-enough-to-satisfy-american-civilian-market guns, right?
View Quote
No, because "AK quality" isn't a glossy paint job, a tacticool plastic stock, or wood that has been dipped in poly until it shines. AK quality relates to the durability of the rifle's component parts, and how well those parts have been assembled. The AK action cycles in a "most vigorous" manner. If the action parts are made of poor quality steel which has not been hardened, the rifle will self-destruct just from repeated firing. So, a "shiny" rifle is not required, a durable and reliable one is.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:49:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No, because "AK quality" isn't a glossy paint job, a tacticool plastic stock, or wood that has been dipped in poly until it shines. AK quality relates to the durability of the rifle's component parts, and how well those parts have been assembled. The AK action cycles in a "most vigorous" manner. If the action parts are made of poor quality steel which has not been hardened, the rifle will self-destruct just from repeated firing. So, a "shiny" rifle is not required, a durable and reliable one is.
View Quote
This sounds very objective, but if an AK was assembled that had a high end finish, straight sights, concentric threads, great accuracy etc., it wouldn't be what I'd buy if the primary objective was mil issued authenticity.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I would normally say the Arsenal SAM7 SF because it's my favorite, I also have some SGL21's and 31's.

Before and After:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/266387/IMG-2758-212737.JPG
View Quote
You know you like the WASR. Thats why you can't have an opinion anymore

I heard the Romanian AK including the wasr are made with soviet machinery as well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Century Arms RAS-47. Born overseas. Perfected in America.

Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#36]
rifle dynamics 500?

https://rifledynamics.com/pages/rifle-dynamics-500-series-rifles-br-5-45x39
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
rifle dynamics 500?

https://rifledynamics.com/pages/rifle-dynamics-500-series-rifles-br-5-45x39
View Quote
Lol, no.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#38]
whats wrong with it?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I heard the Romanian AK including the wasr are made with soviet machinery as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before and After:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/266387/IMG-2758-212737.JPG

Lots of truth there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I see no love for the Galil ACE in this thread.  I want one, but I'm waiting for the price to drop.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Get a WASR 10.

With the money you save by not buying an arsenal, buy some com block surplus furniture for it (if it didn't come with them) and the rest of the saved money purchase mags and ammo. You will be way out ahead.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
BOOM! ... mic drop

There is a supply of new-in-the-box examples out there to be had.. if you can stomach the price.

Once you go Chinese you never go back
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
whats wrong with it?
View Quote
it's $2200 (starting price) for a parts kit build , you could buy the parts and send it to (IMO) way better builders for cheaper. or get a 107fr for $800-$900 less.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

BOOM! ... mic drop

There is a supply of new-in-the-box examples out there to be had.. if you can stomach the price.

Once you go Chinese you never go back
View Quote
I try not to buy anything made in China.  Tools and Guns especially.
I know the Chinese AK supposedly has a good reputation and is collectable,
but its still made in China, therefore I have never had the slightest urge to buy one.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:58:37 AM EDT
[#45]
I dunno why. The fastest way to defeat communism in China at this point is to support capitalism there. Some junk is made in China, but they also make high end consumer electronics and they put a man in space, so it's not like they are incapable of building nice things.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#46]
I just wish there were more AK offerings out there that used forged receivers with chromed bolt assemblies...
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I just wish there were more AK offerings out there that used forged receivers with chromed bolt assemblies...
View Quote
No country used chrome bolts and/or carriers. Unless you mean you wish US manufacturers offered this.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#48]

Duh
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No country used chrome bolts and/or carriers. Unless you mean you wish US manufacturers offered this.
View Quote
Actually, I should have said "milled" receiver & chromed bolt assemblies.
Best Ak-type firearm I've ever handled was a Yugoslavian semi-auto with a milled receiver & chromed bolt assembly. That thing was freaky-accurate for an AK-type rifle., and yeah - I wish the US made one like it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#50]
I would say that in today's market the rifles that are considered the "best" are going to be either those from Arsenal or VEPR. However, I have a bakers dozen AK's and the cheapest (WASR) shoots about the same as the most expensive (Valmet M62). So the real difference is not going to be in performance, but rather in fit and finish. I will say that I prefer milled receivers to stamped, so if I was buying a new AK today, I would probably go for one of the SAM7 variants.

But, I don't buy new guns except on rare occasions. If I was looking for a single AK that was going to last me for the rest of my life, I would keep an eye out on the used market and would consider any of the following in no particular order:

Saiga
Chinese-any pre ban. Also post ban milled MAK90's and straight cut MAK90 stamped receivers.
WASR
Arsenal
VEPR.
Yugo OPAP

The issue with Yugo and VEPR rifles using propitiatory furniture is not an issue for me as I don't pimp out my guns with a bunch of tackicool junk.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top