Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/17/2017 3:23:12 PM EDT
I decided it was time to broaden my horizons and acquire an AK-47. Looked around for suggestions and had originally decided on a wasr. While I was looking around I saw a decent deal on a yugo m70 n-pap and after looking around my particular haunts it seemed to be a realatively well regarded rifle so I went and picked one up.

After I got home I happened to search it a little harder and it seems that yugos have some receiver issues. A lot of them seemed to be very anecdotal but being completely clueless about all of this it's still enough to make me concerned.

I mostly bought one to have one. My plan was to keep it mostly stock other than a side rail and red dot and fire a couple hundred rounds a month.

It seems like a heavier duty recoil spring is recommended along with a firing pin retaining plate.

Am I just being paranoid and will be okay if I add those? Or should I save it for the next panic and just move on?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you are gtg. N-Pap are good rifles and will serve you well. I wouldn't worry. The only think I would do is switch the paper clip for a retaining plate. If you have a Tapco G2 FCG you need to do some work on the hammer where the bolt rides. Theres lots of videos out there that will help you. Easy Fix.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#2]
N-PAPs are good rifles.  Just clean/oil it and shoot it. 

25 years ago, people were buying Mak-90s for $200.  Now that price shocks people. 
25 years from now, people will be shocked that N-PAPs were sold for $600.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
N-PAP made very well, thick receiver, parts machined well. A little strange in a few minor variations which may or may not be considered improvements, but over all a very fine rifle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought an NPAP about 2 years ago full well knowing it would be the only AK I probably ever buy.  I've been very happy with it and I would not feel bad about doing it again.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Pics OP???  My first AK was a Norinco Mak 90, bought in 1992' for < $289 out the door. Fast forward 25 years an my second AK is a Milled receiver Yugo M70ABM. Dare I say it groups better than my old venerable Mak-90? It's put together very well, better even than the Norinco and the finish came virtually flawless out of the box (I believe it's Park'd) but of course after use that is no longer the case; I like a rifle with honest use. The only thing that the Norinco did better was the trigger is a bit smoother... but after 25 years of use you'd expect an almost hand polished trigger. The Yugo is the last AK I'll ever buy because it's done so well; even though it's a "Century" it is my understanding that Century farms out the assembly/manufacture on the Yugo parts guns. Either way this particular model is fantastic. OP, swap in a better/stouter recoil spring assembly and enjoy/shoot your N-PAP! It will serve you and your children very well!!!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top