Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/14/2017 12:58:04 PM EDT
Took out my brand new SLR104-31 today and ran into an issue.

Every 10 rounds or so the rifle would cycle very weird and the bolt would totally lock up an inch from being in battery. When I say locked up I mean there was no chance of pulling it back nor slamming it it forward to chamber.

I was only using surplus 7n6

Once I removed the mag it would fire that round that wasn't totally in battery?
I'm very confused to say the least.
After about 30 or so rounds I was able to get two full high capacity magazines through it at the end of the day with it not happening again.
Could this just be the rifle needing to be broken in?

Any info or wisdom on this particular issue with the kalishnikov platform would be awesome.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Did this happen with just one magazine or multiple magazines?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I was using a brand new circle 10 and one cheap tapco bot had the issues every 10 to 15 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was using a brand new circle 10 and one cheap tapco bot had the issues every 10 to 15 rounds.
View Quote
can you post a photo of your bullet guide with a circle10 magazine inserted with rounds in it?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Does it hang up if you try to manually run thru a mag?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd also clean that chamber real good too, just to get that out of the equation. A good chamber brush and some elbow grease and make it shine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does it hang up if you try to manually run thru a mag?
View Quote
That's not a valid test. When I first bought my Draco, I tried that when I first brought the gun home. It jammed every other round. But before I got excited, & called Century, I waited until I got to the range. There it never missed a beat. So the fact that it would not manually cycle, was moot, as it has no connection to what happened on the range, in MY experience.  GARY
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for just now posting.
I took the SLR up to my local gun smith and come to find out my head spacing was way to tight using a go gauge.

Anyone have experience with Arsenals warranty?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sorry for just now posting.
I took the SLR up to my local gun smith and come to find out my head spacing was way to tight using a go gauge.

Anyone have experience with Arsenals warranty?
View Quote
Were they using a CIP spec gauge? Or SAAMI?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Were they using a CIP spec gauge? Or SAAMI?
View Quote
To be honest I'm not entirely sure?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:53:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Just had to send my 104FR back for warranty.

They will make you pay shipping back, it was 40 dollars for me. They had my rifle for one month and their was zero communication. I received the rifle back with zero paperwork or explanation of what or anything was fixed/replaced. I guess I will have to trust Arsenals outstanding reputation that they fixed my rifle correctly.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just had to send my 104FR back for warranty.

They will make you pay shipping back, it was 40 dollars for me. They had my rifle for one month and their was zero communication. I received the rifle back with zero paperwork or explanation of what or anything was fixed/replaced. I guess I will have to trust Arsenals outstanding reputation that they fixed my rifle correctly.
View Quote
What did you initially send it in for?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

To be honest I'm not entirely sure?
View Quote
If they used a SAAMI spec gauge (which is what's mainly available in the US) then it would read too tight when compared to the CIP (European) standard. The fact that it's chambering rounds without issue would lead me to suspect the headspace is not too tight.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If they used a SAAMI spec gauge (which is what's mainly available in the US) then it would read too tight when compared to the CIP (European) standard. The fact that it's chambering rounds without issue would lead me to suspect the headspace is not too tight.
View Quote
Than any idea what it could be?
This is my AK platform rifle so I'm in the dark.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Than any idea what it could be?
This is my AK platform rifle so I'm in the dark.
View Quote
I would have to look at it with the symptoms you're describing. I would take it out again and see if the problems persist given you were able to successfully cycle through two full magazines worth.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#15]
You probably did this already but I'll throw this out anyway, did you clean the rifle really good?  If not, I would clean the shit out of it, give it a good oiling or grease or both and then try it again.  Sometimes new rifles just need a break in period.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Greased it up and no more issues!
Thanks yall!
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's not a valid test. When I first bought my Draco, I tried that when I first brought the gun home. It jammed every other round. But before I got excited, & called Century, I waited until I got to the range. There it never missed a beat. So the fact that it would not manually cycle, was moot, as it has no connection to what happened on the range, in MY experience.  GARY
View Quote
Yea, ok.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Greased it up and no more issues!
Thanks yall!
View Quote
Glad ya got it working
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Gonna scrub it down, lube and grease the heck out of it. Barrel and brake was rusted like crazy. Cleaned it up but going to go thru it all. Hope it "just works" ;~)>
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Gonna scrub it down, lube and grease the heck out of it. Barrel and brake was rusted like crazy. Cleaned it up but going to go thru it all. Hope it "just works" ;~)>
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think he ment to post that in his thread
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yea, ok.
View Quote
It's very common for an AK to misfeed when cycling rounds slowly by hand. They are not meant to feed slowly and will do strange things when the BGC is not allowed to feed under spring force.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe posted in wrong thread

Just the same, not very worried about this one, looks very clean (FWIW from an AK nOOb) and OP is a great guy.

Not like it was hard to figure out this rifles brief history
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is what happens when you shoot corrosive surplus ammo and don't properly clean it afterwards.
View Quote
Kinda doubt the barrel threads and brake threads looked crappy from ammo...

Could be wrong, if so, please confirm so I know to add a cleaning step, JIC.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Kinda doubt the barrel threads and brake threads looked crappy from ammo...

Could be wrong, if so, please confirm so I know to add a cleaning step, JIC.
View Quote
Even non-corrosive ammo will build up carbon inside the chambered brake.  If the carbone is not cleaned regularly, it will freeze the brake in place and crud up the muzzle.  Just remove and clean the threads when you clean the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Even non-corrosive ammo will build up carbon inside the chambered brake.  If the carbone is not cleaned regularly, it will freeze the brake in place and crud up the muzzle.  Just remove and clean the threads when you clean the rifle.
View Quote
Just yanked the brake off the unfired 104fr, no rust. Added to the cleaning list!!!

Grease it or 10w40?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#29]
The 74 muzzle face and crown get filthy as all get out regardless of ammo. The carbon gets thick quick

Nothing to worry about, as said above just clean the threads and brake and you will be fine. Letting it rust is a surefire way to freeze the brake to the FSB, but not impossible to get off.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Got out the dremel, polishing compound, cleaned up the barrel threads and brake. Lubed/oiled, looks like new. Maybe trim down the brake so it fits tight in locked position - at some point, perhaps.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I use a brass brush with a Dremel to clean the muzzle.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yea, ok.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea, ok.
As ridiculous as that sounds, I had an SGL-31 that would lock up bad when cycling it by hand but it never had an issue with live fire.  And when i say cycling by hand, i don't mean slowly easing rounds in and out of the chamber.  I actually had to mortar it a few times.  I was honestly expecting it to choke because that whole rifle was really a PITA when it came to the fitment of the parts but was happy it didn't bc i was a complete moron and had the barrel cut down before testing it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's very common for an AK to misfeed when cycling rounds slowly by hand. They are not meant to feed slowly and will do strange things when the BGC is not allowed to feed under spring force.
View Quote
I agree with this, and have experienced it first hand. I have two Russian made Saigas in 7.62X39 that were originally sporter models. I did the tactical conversion on both, which required installing a bullet guide in the front trunion, in order to use standard AK mags. The bullet guides I purchased from the parts suppliers seemed inadequate to me. It had sharp edges on the front of the guide and would scrape the bullet tip and scar the bullet while feeding, which could affect accuracy. Also, when I cycled the rounds slowly into the chamber, the tip of the bulled would hit the face of the breach, and not the opening. When I cycled the round with the full spring tension of the bolt carrier, they cycled fine, but still scared the bullet when I cycled the rounds by hand.

Upon further research, I decided to make my own bullet guide (with 3/4" steel pipe cut in half), which was slightly longer than the store-bought guide; and, I beveled the front edge of the bullet guide so it would not scrape the bullets while cycling. I'm much better satisfied with my home-made bullet guides than with the ones I purchased online. They look more like the bullet guides in other traditional AK 47s, and I use standard AK mags. The bullet guide is almost touching the front of the mag, like the traditional AKs, whereas the store-bought guides had a gap/space at the front of the standard mag. They cycle fine, and shoot fine, and no interference with the bolt locking up in the breach. They even cycle better with hand cycling slower. Had the store-bought bullet guides been a 1/16th of an inch longer, with beveled edge on top, they probably would have been fine, in my opinion.  

I've not had one misfeed or jam with my home-made bullet guides. By-the-way, my converted Saiga AKs are excellent AKs in my opinion; and, they are 922r compliant.   
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top