Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/26/2017 8:04:43 AM EDT
I have been an AR guy for a long time.  My go to rifle is a Block 2 clone.  For some reason I decided to give the AK a try. I bought my current AK 6-7 years ago from a guy at work for $250.  It is in a MAK 90 with an ACE stock.   Other than adding a dozen flatback Chinese mags it's pretty much sat in my safe since then.   Two months ago I pulled it out with the intent of learning the system.   I added an Ultimak, light,  and refinished the lower handguard.  Since then I've ran about 700 rounds through it and I really growing fond of the platform.

Things I've noticed:

-It's way more accurate than I thought it would be.
-The 7.62x39 round really hammers steel compared to 556.
-The recoil impulse is a lot more noticeable than the AR.
-Ammo is cheap
-compared to my current ARs it's a lot more fun to shoot. Almost theatrical.
-It can be a bastard to speed reload. Training is key.

I know this is a totally random post but I really enjoy the platform and I think I will add another to the collection.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The AK is still very much underestimated imho.

It's a great weapon, just still has stigma to it.

Great looking weapon also.

Eta: forgot to mention great price also!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice, welcome to the dark side. And you won't only have one, you'll want to collect.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Came in to school you on Alaska.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a Norinco NHM-91 back in the 90s, early 2000s that I absolutely loved.  It was very accurate with iron sights, and a real blast to go plinking with out in the woods.  It was also super easy to field strip, and built like a tank.  I miss it so much cause I SOLD IT like a DUMBASS when I desperately needed money.  The things I do for my family...I will never get that rifle back.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
OP - I just started shooting AKs last month & completely agree with you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]
One other thing I've come to appreciate is how substantial all of the parts of this thing are.  No tiny "dammit" springs to fly out at you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to "our" side! When you look at the AK for what it truly is, I can't think of anything NOT to like.  Its a combat rifle, period.  You nailed it though, your reasons are very sound and this old timer agrees with you. I am in my 28th year of AK ownership.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#8]
FWIW if the recoil impulse bothers you at all, some of it can be tamed by installing a Wolff XP recoil spring. This reduces some of the felt recoil from the carrier cycling.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FWIW if the recoil impulse bothers you at all, some of it can be tamed by installing a Wolff XP recoil spring. This reduces some of the felt recoil from the carrier cycling.
View Quote
No I really like the shooting feel. It will probably get a muzzle device at some point anyway.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Reloads are fast and easy with practice. Not quite as fast as the fastest AR, but still about 2 seconds or so
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Update:  I put 240 more rounds through this gun this weekend.  Mostly reload drills, correct zeroing, and distance.  I have several high end AR's and this is becoming my go to rifle.  Love the 7.62x39!  As it sits now: Added a Vickers sling and a new hand guard.  (Please ignore the beach towel I use to cover our coffee table when I clean guns)
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I sat around the house doing reload drills with empty mags for awhile, I can reload blindfolded now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I sat around the house doing reload drills with empty mags for awhile, I can reload blindfolded now.
View Quote
I have been doing a ton of this.  The only problem is compared to dry drills with the pistol or ar; AK mags make a lot of noise hitting the floor!  I have been doing my reloads in our spare bedroom so the mags land on the bed.  Keeps the mrs from adding her 2cents!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Switched the Ace for a fixed stock.  Like the cheek weld better and I shaved some weight.  I think I may sell the receiver block and stock to help fund a T1 for this guy.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I've known several people who've owned them over the years. Have shot their rifles a lot and always felt like they were uncomfortable rattle traps. Felt the like guy who owned a Corvette(Ar) but was driving his buddy's Chevette(Ak). Bought one just for collecting reasons several years ago. It was a WASR with an awful folding stock that was just flat out uncomfortable to shoot. Didn't keep it long. Fast forward several years and my little sister gets with a guy who likes to shoot the same as I do. He likes Ar's and owns them but is mostly an Ak guy. I shot a few of his modernized Ak's and holy hell what a difference between the rest of them I've shot. I gained a healthy amount of respect for the platform after shooting one that isn't stuck in the 50s. Ended up ordering a Gen 2 Liberty barreled receiver and build kit from PSA and itching for it to get here. It'll never replace my Ar's, but I certainly plan to shoot the shit out of it and take a few Ak classes. Nothing wrong with being versed in multiple platforms. 
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I find it to be like ars, some are built for accuracy others are not. The platform can be very accurate if it's built to be. A ar can also be very inaccurate if it's built to be. They are a lot of fun
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I shot a few of his modernized Ak's and holy hell what a difference between the rest of them I've shot. I gained a healthy amount of respect for the platform after shooting one that isn't stuck in the 50s.
View Quote
Lots of things have improved and there are all kinds of options for modern AKs indeed. I'm a huge fan of the ZenitCo B33 top cover and B10 handguard system for example, and the Ultimak + MRD combo

Z
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Switched the Ace for a fixed stock.  Like the cheek weld better and I shaved some weight.  I think I may sell the receiver block and stock to help fund a T1 for this guy.
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w383/znorin/IMG_2354_zpsnjriigt0.jpg
View Quote
Set up the T-1 with lower 1/3 co-witness to irons and you *may* start throwing rocks at your other rifles. I have a few TRS-25s on a couple of my AKs and it makes a noticeable difference in target acquisition.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Set up the T-1 with lower 1/3 co-witness to irons and you *may* start throwing rocks at your other rifles. I have a few TRS-25s on a couple of my AKs and it makes a noticeable difference in target acquisition.
View Quote
That's the plan!  Bought a used one on the EE. Should be here soon.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#20]

I freakin love it!
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#21]
With that new fixed stock you'll have room for one of these cleaning kits in the stock. They are truly an AK owner's multi-tool. I don't consider an AK complete without one...
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Already have one!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top