Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2017 12:05:11 PM EDT
Hi guys,

I know pretty much nothing about AKs.  I've gotten kind of bored with ARs and I think that I might want to branch out to AKs.  I came here looking for info on the RAS47 (looks nice, US made).
Well, I know now that I don't want a RAS47.
But that leads to my question.  In the AK Operators Union videos Rob Ski seems pretty stoked when he gets to 5,000 rounds in his reviews.  Is this because 5,000 rounds is considered high mileage for a stamped AK (i.e. it's getting close to the end of its service life)... or is it just because it takes a lot of shooting to get to 5,000 rounds and he's glad to be done?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
5,000 is nowhere near the end of life point for a PROPERLY built AK with QUALITY parts. Check out the "AK Abuse" thread to see how many rounds Battlefield Las Vegas puts through their full auto's. I think they do the 5,000 rounds because at that point any serious issues should show themselves. As in the case with the RAS, the thing was beating itself apart. At some point Century might get the RAS right, but that time isn't now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#2]
5,000 is nothing for any non-American made AK.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#3]
3000rds and counting on my Saiga.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Over 3,000 rounds through my lowly wasr. 5,000 rounds is only about 5-6 classes worth of shooting, any good ak should last much longer than that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
My ban era wasr10 is well over 10000 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#6]
10,000+ on my SLR105

Z
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Century will address the issues with the RAS-47 when its warranty costs eat into its profits by an an amount that Century isn't happy with. Century is producing their loose interpretations of "AK's" for recreational U.S. shooters, for the sole purpose of profit. Foreign AK's are made in military factories, and produced on the same tooling and from the same materials and components as that country's military rifles.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, guys.  I'm starting from zero and don't even know what I don't know about AKs yet.  I have a lot of reading to do.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Absolutely gorgeous and purely sexy. If I may ask, what if any parts have you had to replace in the life of this rifle?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got wayyyyyy over 5K rounds on a Rommy I built on a Tapco flat. The only thing that's been replaced is the shepherd's hook.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#12]
no its not
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
But that leads to my question.  In the AK Operators Union videos Rob Ski seems pretty stoked when he gets to 5,000 rounds in his reviews.  Is this because 5,000 rounds is considered high mileage for a stamped AK (i.e. it's getting close to the end of its service life)... or is it just because it takes a lot of shooting to get to 5,000 rounds and he's glad to be done?
View Quote

Look back at his videos and posts from about 2 years ago. That's when he started calling out American manufacturer's for their sub-par AKs. His claim was that a quality AK should go 50,000 rounds. He wanted ANY American manufacturer to send him a sample of their gun and 50k rounds for testing. Obviously, nobody took him up on it. When it was clear he'd be laying out cash for the test rifles AND ammo he scaled back testing to 5,000 rounds.

Frankly, I'm glad he did. 50k round tests would be extremely boring for the average viewer and insanely time consuming and costly for Rob. We'd be lucky if he got through one test PER YEAR if he was going 50k rounds. As it turns out, 5,000 rounds weeds out plenty of shitty guns and I think he's doing a hell of a service for hobbyists and weekend warriors.

ETA: The 5,000 round benchmark has nothing to do with AKs in particular. He's also tested ARs that can't handle 5000 rounds. Even his Daniel Defense AR had multiple stoppages and breakages.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#14]
According to the guys at Battlefield Vegas, the useful life of a stamped AK (namely a WASR) with lots of full auto fire is about 100,000 rounds...

AK abuse thread
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#15]
100,000 rounds or about $22,000 to $24,000 dollars worth of ammo...........it will outlast you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I may ask, what if any parts have you had to replace in the life of this rifle?
View Quote
Absolutely none. Over the years I have had a couple failures to fire due to bad primers but no other malfunctions. Replaced no parts at all. Seems as accurate as the day I bought it as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Arsenal Bulgaria lists service life of around 15k on their barrels. Realistically this is where you might start to see some throat erosion and possibly slight drop in accuracy, but the rifle will likely keep running forever.

The only AKs I have with any real appreciable wear are my oldest, a WASR and Saiga .223. The WASR is probably close to 8-9k rounds and the Saiga around 6-7. Both have visible throat erosion (seen via bore light) but the rest of the bores are fine. Both rifles will still hit inside an 8" plate at 200 yd and shoot about the same as any other AK I own.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#18]
There is a member here on the forums who had over 28,000 on a Norinco pre ban several years ago.

I remember he said it still had the factory parts including the extractor,springs,and bolt.

Can't remember who it was or if he still posts here
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Nyet, rifle is fine
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#20]
10k+ thru this whore.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:22:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd run far away from the RAS 47. It's got nice curb appeal, but it's not gonna last being made of cheap cast parts. If an AK makes it 5k rounds with little to know issues, I've been told that it will be a keeper for sure for many more rounds to come. Check out Battlefield Vegas and their thread on this site. They talk about what is holding up and what isn't.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#24]
She's a dirty girl isn't she. Dirty Dirty girl
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've got wayyyyyy over 5K rounds on a Rommy I built on a Tapco flat. The only thing that's been replaced is the shepherd's hook.
View Quote
Ha, same here. I built a mongrel AK on a 1970 Rommy front end, that was well used. All mismatched parts from different eastern block countries around a first generation Tapco flat. It has well north of 5+ cases of $69 surplus Russian and Norinco ammo. The rifle runs great and is my fav of the herd.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Over 3,000 rounds through my lowly wasr. 5,000 rounds is only about 5-6 classes worth of shooting, any good ak should last much longer than that.
View Quote
wut?

Whos classes are you taking that your blowing damn near a case of ammo per?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#27]
The max round count on any barrel is determined largely by the rate of fire - the faster you shoot them, the faster the barrel burns out. The barrel is the most important factor in endurance with quality of assembly a close second. If you're thinking of paying good money for a rifle and five cases of ammo just to go out and see how fast you can burn out the barrel, have fun!
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Think of an AK as like a semi truck. It ain't broke in 'till you hit 1million miles.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#29]
The problem with these threads is that the guy says the range sees 400k rounds per month across all firearms. Even if the ak saw 1% of that, that's still 4k rounds in a month. That's quite a lot of ammo to be shooting per month.

Now if you shot 5k in a day, that's a lot different than shooting 5k over the span of 5 years.

Point is, the wear and tear of a barrel all depends purely on how fast you shoot and how often. If you shot 1 round per second, and don't let the gun heat up that much, your rifle will last for 10s of 1000s of rounds.

There's no way to determine if 5k is a high mileage or not as it depends more so on the frequency and length and how well you clean your rifle.

It's sort of like a car. If you drove under 20 miles a day, never driving faster than 45mph, and keeping up with the yearly maintenance, your car will last a heck of a lot longer than someone who drives 50 miles a day, and drives 60 mph on average.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The problem with these threads is that the guy says the range sees 400k rounds per month across all firearms. Even if the ak saw 1% of that, that's still 4k rounds in a month. That's quite a lot of ammo to be shooting per month.

Now if you shot 5k in a day, that's a lot different than shooting 5k over the span of 5 years.

Point is, the wear and tear of a barrel all depends purely on how fast you shoot and how often. If you shot 1 round per second, and don't let the gun heat up that much, your rifle will last for 10s of 1000s of rounds.

There's no way to determine if 5k is a high mileage or not as it depends more so on the frequency and length and how well you clean your rifle.

It's sort of like a car. If you drove under 20 miles a day, never driving faster than 45mph, and keeping up with the yearly maintenance, your car will last a heck of a lot longer than someone who drives 50 miles a day, and drives 60 mph on average.
View Quote
Very true
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I have about 6k on my SAR1 and the bolt still looks new.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ha, same here. I built a mongrel AK on a 1970 Rommy front end, that was well used. All mismatched parts from different eastern block countries around a first generation Tapco flat. It has well north of 5+ cases of $69 surplus Russian and Norinco ammo. The rifle runs great and is my fav of the herd.
View Quote
HEY!  I wanna see that rifle!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#33]
You should join this www.akfiles.com.  Lots and lots of info there.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
According to the guys at Battlefield Vegas, the useful life of a stamped AK (namely a WASR) with lots of full auto fire is about 100,000 rounds...

AK abuse thread
View Quote
Yeah, but don't they tend to keep guns until they're keyholing at like 10 yards? I buy into the durability of most other components, but practical accuracy has to fall off before that.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top