Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/30/2017 5:01:49 PM EDT
Has anyone had their AK go through JBI armory?

http://www.jbiarmory.com/

I just sent my SLR-107ur and was wondering what to expect, and how long the wait was. I know there are already threads about this, but they're over a year old and occurred during a shop move. It'd be nice to get more recent/applicable feedback.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I had Jim build a kit for me about a year or so ago. He turned it around in about 100-120 days, I forget.

So far, so good. Quality etc is as I'd expect for the reputation.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
He did my m92 pistol to rifle conversion with a russian 5.5 folder and did a good job. That said, it was within his shop move and it took a long time to get it back so YMMV.

I'd like to send him another AK to work on as I know he'll do good work, but not sure on the wait time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input guys. I sent my ak to get the gas port drilled out, barrel chopped, and threaded for 1/2x28 just in front of the FSB.

IIRC I was quoted 7-8 weeks, and my gun arrived on march 24th. I'll be sure to post here when I get it back.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He did my m92 pistol to rifle conversion with a russian 5.5 folder and did a good job. That said, it was within his shop move and it took a long time to get it back so YMMV.

I'd like to send him another AK to work on as I know he'll do good work, but not sure on the wait time.
View Quote
What did that cost? nevermind, I called them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys. I sent my ak to get the gas port drilled out, barrel chopped, and threaded for 1/2x28 just in front of the FSB.

IIRC I was quoted 7-8 weeks, and my gun arrived on march 24th. I'll be sure to post here when I get it back.
View Quote
Mine took almost twice as long as the quoted time but it was during the move. He did a really good job with the rifle tho.  I would definitely use him again.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Please keep us updated. I'm gonna need to replace the front sight block and gas block on my 107FR to a original bulgy front sight/gas block combo in the future so I'd like to know how it panned out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Really fast on quotes, not so much on work I don't think.

I haven't gotten any of my guns back but I've sent 3 to him in the last month (month and a half?).

The stuff on Facebook I've seen looks great though. 
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:41:20 AM EDT
[#8]
He straightened a canted FBS on my SGL26 a few years ago and did a good job, and he currently has my '68 Molot RPK for the same thing. He's local to me so I like being able to just drop a rifle off vs. shipping to someone so that's a big plus for me. Once I get around to it I'd like for him to install a 100 series folder on my SGL26.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I sent my SLR104FR to be converted to a CR SBR two weeks ago.  I will update when I receive it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine took way longer than the quoted time frame I was given, 14mm threads were done non-concentric to bore (so he threw on a 24mm FSB that had a bent ear), and the internals arrived back to me with a nice coating of rust.  Wouldn't use him again.  Wish I had taken more photos, but I was done with the whole ordeal by the time the rifle got back to me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread has my interest - I sent my VEPR12 in first week of February for a barrep chop and gas tune - haven't heard anything since I sent it in, hoping it gets done soon
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]
My experience is that communication with them is horrible. I sent multiple emails requesting pictures of an issue that manifested during my build. I did not get a response. They shipped the gun back to me without waiting for my input on how to proceed. My build was done quickly but had to go back because they did not complete all of the work. So I ended up paying shipping multiple times to have the problem resolved. I will not use them again. Other people have had great luck. But my experience was very meh. 
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone recieve their guns back?  I'm curious how backed up they are.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone recieve their guns back?  I'm curious how backed up they are.
View Quote
Still waiting here...
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:12:16 AM EDT
[#15]
JBI built my AKS-74U. I would not deal with Jim again, he's an arrogant asshole. It took him a year and a half to finish my rifle and he literally held my gun ransom threatening to part it out if I didn't pay his $600 for the build. I wouldn't recommend him to anyone and for anyone that has their rifle at his shop, don't bother calling for an ETA because he will give you some BS about how his life got in the way.

And let's not forget he's the toolbag that helped get the 7n6 ban by building his retarded Ak74 pistols.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
JBI built my AKS-74U. I would not deal with Jim again, he's an arrogant asshole. It took him a year and a half to finish my rifle and he literally held my gun ransom threatening to part it out if I didn't pay his $600 for the build. I wouldn't recommend him to anyone and for anyone that has their rifle at his shop, don't bother calling for an ETA because he will give you some BS about how his life got in the way.

And let's not forget he's the toolbag that helped get the 7n6 ban by building his retarded Ak74 pistols.
View Quote
Thank you! I was gonna stay out of this, but now that the cat is out of the bag.

I've also seen pictures of his work on this site and was not impressed. I've never used him before, and after the pics, and then the 7n6 fiasco, never will.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#17]
He seems to be much slower than his promised turn around times and his comms don't appear to be up to par.
Archived thread from a couple of years ago.

ETA: I have never personally done business with him.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do we have any evidence that his pistols contributed in any way to the ATF's decision? Of course I agree, it was pretty dumb to build those... but there were definitely 545 pistols around before his.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#19]
No one else was openly talking mass production of 545 pistols before him....
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought that it was the submission of the Beryl pistol by FB Radom to the ATF that caused the ban? Granted, I don't have any insider knowledge.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I thought that it was the submission of the Beryl pistol by FB Radom to the ATF that caused the ban? Granted, I don't have any insider knowledge.
View Quote
I read the same as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep. JBI wasn't at fault.

Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wasn't beryl 5.56 though?  Either way JBI was making the 5.45 pistols before the ban and didn't give a shit. I pity people that send in their guns to them. Jim is a very shady guy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Did a trunion swap on my Draco.

I refinished it once it got back.

Work is outstanding. Lead time forecast and communication skills are not.

Was not pleasant on the phone when I called 4 weeks past quoted date to get an update.

Ignore customers they will go away.

ETA: summed up above - he was an ass on the phone.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Was not pleasant on the phone when I called 4 weeks past quoted date to get an update.

View Quote
How long did it end up taking and how long were you quoted?  

Did you call before you sent it or just use the contact form on the website for a quote?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Of the two interactions I've had with him in the past he was an asshole. So not surprised.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Decided to send an email for an update on my SBS work and was pleasantly surprised by a cordial response within a few hours.  Hopefully everything gets wrapped up soon!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:09:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Had work done by him about 4 years ago on my SGL31...

Biggest memories of my experience- Quoted work was 4-6 weeks, 4 weeks after that I sent him an email asking for an ETA, and his response was that was getting to it and the more he had to respond to emails the longer it was going to take to finish the project.  Basically an ass hat, but the work came out good. I think it turned in to a 12-14 week wait until I received the firearm back.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm hoping that anyone that looks for a JBI armory review in the future sees this thread. The fact that respected members in the AK community such as Nictra, Finslayer83 and AEnemaBay think he's a rude man that's full of shit should make anyone look for different AK smith. There are to many good AK builders out there to consider JBI.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Decided to send an email for an update on my SBS work and was pleasantly surprised by a cordial response within a few hours.  Hopefully everything gets wrapped up soon!
View Quote
When did your gun arrive there, and how long were you quoted?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#31]
He converted my Draco, put a AK-100 stock on it as well as some other things. Took a long time to get completed, way past quoted time. Work was excellent though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

When did your gun arrive there, and how long were you quoted?
View Quote
I shipped it out late January, arrived in the first few days of February.  I didn't get a hard quote, but I believe I saw something in the invoice process or his site that said 8-10 weeks.  It's 3 months later which would mean it's behind schedule, but at this point as long as it's done well, I'll be happy
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I will say, I never expect gunsmiths to finish my work on time.  The better they are, the more I will let slide. 
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How long did it end up taking and how long were you quoted?  

Did you call before you sent it or just use the contact form on the website for a quote?
View Quote

Website and then spoke with him.

He told me for a simple trunion swap without refinishing it would be no more than 4 weeks due to his backlog.

Took right at 15 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I will say, I never expect gunsmiths to finish my work on time.  The better they are, the more I will let slide. 
View Quote

I can understand that train of thought - however shops should give accurate lead time forecasts. They aren't the only game in town.

If a shop tells me its going to cost $300 and take 4 weeks - but turn into $300 and 15 weeks......that is just crappy business management.

If I would of known the time it would have taken - I'd of just paid $100 more and sent it to turbo (Matt Yeamans) and had it back in 1/3 of the time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#36]
This whole thread saddens me.  I've used Jim before many times and recommended him to others.  This was before the move to Sanger when he worked out of his home.  I never had any problems either with his work, communication, nothing.  I was always happy and satisfied.  Still, I cannot deny the experiences of others.  I've not used Jim in several years, something must of changed and not for the better.

Earl
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't think anyone was complaining about his work, just his quoted and actual delivery times.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Jim helped me on some builds when he first started. For a basic ak builder he's good and he does a lot of unusual stuff which a lot of builders wont do.

These days I send my kits to Two Rivers Arms out of OK as they've become friends of mine and solid guys. 
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
That was what got him kicked off The AK Forum and he had been warned multiple times. He wasn't the main cause of 7n6 getting banned but he didn't help things. 
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#40]
They quoted me just over $900.00 to cut and re-crown the barrel on my NFA approved SLR-107UR. It also included rear sight rail conversion. I thought that was a bit much for that job, plus it was an outrageous wait time, something like 6+ months. I got the impression from the email that they were arrogant and didn't really want my business. Too bad, their loss.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Jim helped me on some builds when he first started. For a basic ak builder he's good and he does a lot of unusual stuff which a lot of builders wont do.

These days I send my kits to Two Rivers Arms out of OK as they've become friends of mine and solid guys. 
View Quote
Good to hear

Tim has an AK of mine right now. I'm eager to see how it turns out. It's a Wasr10 getting an SBR chop
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Hey guys, I'm the OP of this thread. Wanted to post an update... I received my rifle back from JBI Armory!

As I mentioned, my SLR-107UR in 7.62x39 arrived at their shop on March 24th, and I was quoted a 6-8 week lead-time and a little over 300 bucks to get the barrel chopped off, crowned, and threaded, as well as getting the gas port drilled out. On May 25th (almost exactly 8 weeks later), I gave Jim a call to see how it was going. He politely informed me that he just finished working on it, and that it would ship out the next week.

After I hung up, he went ahead and texted me some pics of the work getting done!

1/2x28 threads cut in front of the regular 24mm threads that came with the gun. The front of the FSB was also faced to make a shoulder that is concentric to bore. This allows for worry-free attachment of sound suppressors.

Thread protector! This is a low profile pencil model from YHM. As I would later come to find out, it can hide underneath pretty any 24mm accessory out there. No longer do you have to choose between American Muzzle devices and SlavShit!

A few days later pass, finally it arrives! (Today, June 2nd) The box was little beat up from shipping (thanks USPS), but JBI used plenty of packing materials, so no problems there.

Isn't she a beauty? No scratches,dings or rust anywhere, and the work done is very high quality. Runs like a champ, ate up everything I fed it! The fireball it spits is something to behold, especially at night.

If you remove the 24mm booster and thread protector, and throw a 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapter on, you can use any 7.62 rifle suppressor. Here it is with my YHM phantom, which was quieter than I expected... about on par with my suppressed AR. I will say that this gun is most definitely overgassed when running it suppressed. I might have to pick up a stiffer recoil spring to help with that.

~

Overall I'm very pleased with JBI armory. They completed the work on time, shipped out when he said he would, and did some very high quality work on my 107ur. I'm not gonna discount your past experiences, but I can certainly confirm that mine were excellent. I'd recommend JBI to anyone.

Dan
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I'm the OP of this thread. Wanted to post an update... I received my rifle back from JBI Armory!

As I mentioned, my SLR-107UR in 7.62x39 arrived at their shop on March 24th, and I was quoted a 6-8 week lead-time and a little over 300 bucks to get the barrel chopped off, crowned, and threaded, as well as getting the gas port drilled out. On May 25th (almost exactly 8 weeks later), I gave Jim a call to see how it was going. He politely informed me that he just finished working on it, and that it would ship out the next week.

After I hung up, he went ahead and texted me some pics of the work getting done!

http://i.imgur.com/JtXXxyp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/i4E0F7n.jpg

1/2x28 threads cut in front of the regular 24mm threads that came with the gun. The front of the FSB was also faced to make a shoulder that is concentric to bore. This allows for worry-free attachment of sound suppressors.
http://i.imgur.com/2WplfyD.jpg

Thread protector! This is a low profile pencil model from YHM. As I would later come to find out, it can hide underneath pretty any 24mm accessory out there. No longer do you have to choose between American Muzzle devices and SlavShit!
http://i.imgur.com/PjOb9rl.jpg

A few days later pass, finally it arrives! (Today, June 2nd) The box was little beat up from shipping (thanks USPS), but JBI used plenty of packing materials, so no problems there.
http://i.imgur.com/WmIkR2y.jpg

Isn't she a beauty? No scratches,dings or rust anywhere, and the work done is very high quality. Runs like a champ, ate up everything I fed it! The fireball it spits is something to behold, especially at night.
http://i.imgur.com/bXfTH1S.jpg

If you remove the 24mm booster and thread protector, and throw a 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapter on, you can use any 7.62 rifle suppressor. Here it is with my YHM phantom, which was quieter than I expected... about on par with my suppressed AR. I will say that this gun is most definitely overgassed when running it suppressed. I might have to pick up a stiffer recoil spring to help with that.
http://i.imgur.com/2o6qBdU.jpg

~

Overall I'm very pleased with JBI armory. They completed the work on time, shipped out when he said he would, and did some very high quality work on my 107ur. I'm not gonna discount your past experiences, but I can certainly confirm that mine were excellent. I'd recommend JBI to anyone.

Dan
View Quote
Nice AK.  I can hardly wait to send off my 104ur.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I think he is getting caught up, I shipped mine to him in late January, he said 8 plus weeks for mine.  Just got a notice a few minutes ago that it shipped today and I will see it in a couple.  He was up front and cordial when I called him a month or two ago and said he was behind.  My experience has been positive so far, but I also wasn't ever in a hurry.  I have 2 other rifles headed out this week to him for a quick front sight gas block change and pinning a YHM QD break on for 16" overall length.  Those, I'm guessing, will be quite a bit faster than the pain in the ass I sent him before.

Time to buy some .300 blackout subsonic and practice for the pig hunt I'm going on later this year.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Just got word that my vepr 12 SBS project is complete, and is shipping out today.  About 4.5 months total, but again, as long as it's done well, I'm good with it 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#46]
My Krink shot well so I just sent 2 more guns over.  Those a simpler projects so we'll see how long until I get them back.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#47]
I have known Jim since 2009. This was when he worked out of his house in Denton. He was always cool and let me hang out in the garage and play with his Krinks and stuff. He is a bit arrogant. I bought a Bulgy 74 that he built along with mags and a case of ammo for $900 if I recall.... it was the nicest AK I've seen. I wish I never traded it.

I absolutely see how people think he is rude. That's how he comes off. Work is great but turn around time is atrocious.

Bottom line, I would use him only if I didn't care about turn around time and only wanted quality, because his work is top notch.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, the day finally came!  Everything looks good so far, have to give it a test run with different types of ammo.  It's especially sweet now that Molot has been wrapped up in all of the Russia sanctions.

Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I sent my SLR104FR to be converted to a CR SBR two weeks ago.  I will update when I receive it.
View Quote
I have had mine back for a month now.  I love it and can't recommend JBI highly enough.  Jim was professional and fast.  The work is perfect.  He even straightened my rear sight block free of charge.  

I am getting ready to send another project to him.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top