Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/22/2017 3:42:51 PM EDT
I'm thinking of moving the charging handle to a non reciprocating style charging handle in the gas tube.  Anyone seen a kit for this?   How would you do it?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there even enough travel to permit such a thing?

No kits I know of.
Cut off the existing charging handle from the carrier.
Mill a race into the side of the "gas tube", and add a collar with an external charging handle through the race.
Given the topography involved, need a pin or something on the piston body to engage the collar, or a long arm on the collar to reach back to the carrier body from the charging handle location.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I think PTR has HK'd the ak as much as one could want or am I missing something?
PTR32
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
This.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think PTR has HK'd the ak as much as one could want or am I missing something?
PTR32
View Quote
I'd love to see those be adapted for 6.5 Grendel. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:54:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad to see they are still making these. I have always had an like to use one of these in a SBR with a venom has block and a side folding stock.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Now this one is really interesting.  "Hinge block attachment" in the verbiage, though?  That would make or break it for me - depends on how it attaches.

Edit to add:  Plus, it would pretty much rule out optics that use the side mount, huh?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#9]
This.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I do like that linch topcover setup. It would be slick on sbr.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Now this one is really interesting.  "Hinge block attachment" in the verbiage, though?  That would make or break it for me - depends on how it attaches.

Edit to add:  Plus, it would pretty much rule out optics that use the side mount, huh?
View Quote
Davis Tactical Solutions LINCH AK Charging Handle
  About 2:50 in he shows how it mounts. You could still use optics, but you would need to add a pic rail to the cover, or mount it to the fore-end.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll +1 the PTR-32, not only is it a non-reciprocating handle, it's the real deal roller locker. The delayed blowback still amazes me. Uber accurate.

Still, while the non-reciprocating HK style handle feels great on a compact package like the MP5, I'm not as big a fan with it on an 18" carbine. It's a slim package, but I find I can still change mags & recharge faster with an AK's fixed right side handle closer to the shooter.

I thought there was another company that tried an HK style retrofit charge handle a few years ago? Maybe they're gone...
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought this was pretty gimicky at first but after watching MACs video a few times I can see where it could be useful for certain AK configurations.

No side rail optics can be used... terrible for how I personally use most of my AKs, but fine for an Ultimak style setup (which I do also use).

I don't think this will be as fast reloading even assuming you were trained and as proficient with the LINCH as you were with a standard AK reload. It does seem very easy though just not sure on the speed.

The simplicity is great and very well thought out. It's actually a natural fit for the AK design without being forced or jerryrigged

Z
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top