Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 5:15:08 PM EDT
I've had this optic for over 6 months now but really have not had a lot of time to review it in detail. I suppose I am still getting back into my routines in Texas and not fully up to speed getting my site updated either but I'm getting there, slow but surely. I'll have these reviews listed on the site over the weekend most likely

First off NPZ has finally made a simple red dot patterned after the super common AimPoint micro body style. First impression is really good even though mine is a scratch and dent demo model that has seen a lot of handling. Dot is 2 MOA and very crisp when the intensity is set right for the light level. Outdoors on 10 it is clear and quick to acquire but will have heavy blooming indoors, though it does not cast a red glow inside the body like many other red dots do at higher brightness.

Setting 1 is bright enough to see inside with the naked eye but on setting 11 and 12 the dot disappears, which leads me to believe it is NV compatible. I have not tested it yet however.

Weight is 4.6 ounces including CR2032 battery and the mounting base which is a single tensioning screw. The good news is that the mount is robust and well designed, the bad news is that the 4 screw pattern to attach the base to the optic body does not match the common AimPoint pattern, and therefore it looks unlikely that you can swap to an aftermarket mount. No time for a battery test yet either.
Windage and elevation turrets are adjusted via inverting the caps like most micro red dots and have a good solid feel to them. The objective lens is coated but not threaded for a killflash. Optic body finish is good and evenly applied to the scope body. The base has a different finish but not particularly noticeable unless you look close

Can't comment if these are as tough as actual AimPoints but they are built by NPZ which is a big plus. So far no info on what the market for PKU-2 is and I have not seen any photos of it in service, or in use anywhere yet. No GRAU number yet either

Shown here on my trusty SLR104FR with Ultimak gas tube rail

Compared to AimPoint T1 on the Ultimak. PKU-2 sits slightly lower

Z
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool.  Any photos looking through the optic?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Price?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, would really like to know battery life, price point, and ruggedness compared to a T2.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Price?
View Quote
This +1 please
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, would really like to know battery life, price point, and ruggedness compared to a T2.
View Quote
I'll do a battery test in a bit, I have a few optics like RS-M to test with it as well.

As far as durability goes that will be very hard to quantify in a real sense, though it does appear to be very well built. I don't plan on drop kicking a T2 and PKU-2 around. I just don't have that kind of time unfortunately

Z
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome, only down side is the screw pattern on the base. Considering probably non of the top tier mount makers will make one for this.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#8]
That is about my only complaint also. I do wish they followed the US trend and had the same screw pattern.

I genuinely don't think the mount is any kind of problem, in fact it seems like an excellent design, but I prefer Larue QDs and wish they could be used on PKU-2, and RS-M. Not the end of the of world but it would be nice

Z
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top