Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2017 9:27:29 AM EDT
Anyone know if there's any difference between the 2 besides price?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Overall, they're both milled AK's that will put rounds down range. The difference being the Arsenal is made in a military factory that has been making Kalashnikovs since the early 60's, has mil-spec parts and look, has better resale value/holds its value better. The Arsenals are known for having a junk paint finish (look good, don't hold up well accept with CLP), being a military factory they build to mil-spec, which means you can get canted sights since all they care about is if it zeros. The Century is, well, a Century. They've had plenty of issues in their V1, fixed most in the V2, still have possible issues with their bolt carriers. Granted, I've heard about less issues since they've addressed it. Non-standard parts, non-standard look, doesn't have the soul of an Arsenal, nor the resale value. Overall, a good buy with a known good barrel with better finish and typically straight sights. If you're not concerned with having "the best" or about "correctness" of having what the military uses, then the V2 will serve you well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The Arsenal is a much better gun. The only reason I wouldn't buy one is because it's an AKM built on a milled receiver. Not a true type 3 milled gun. But if that doesn't bother you go for it. While I don't mind buying AK's that Century imports, I would not buy one that they build, & make the parts.  GARY
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I chose a C39V2 for the cost v. quality, as I don't care about "authenticity."  

I believe the V2 is improved enough over past Century products that many are missing an opportunity by assuming "it's a Century, so ..."  Time will tell with the bolt/bolt carrier quality, but mine is holding up so far.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:55:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes
Arsenal is made by a manufacturer who has been making  AK pattern rifles for there country (Bulgaria) and export for near 60 years.

Century is widely known for importing firearms, and some hack builds.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:23:15 AM EDT
[#5]
While the Arsenal paint may suck and not hold up to multiple mag dumps, it is parkerized under the paint. I have around 2k rounds through my SLR107FR and the paint is still good to go.

"It doesn't matter, it is AK."
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Im gonna get a sam7 at some point so im bais . But as ive said before, my polish 1960 is the most accurate ak ive got or seen. Ya just cant hardly find them any more
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Century's are garbage. If you're debating which one to get, get the Arsenal. I have 3 of them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#8]
The difference is money and quality. Go with Arsenal.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#9]
One is all Bulgarian parts and is factory made in Bulgaria and the other is made in the US by Century with US made parts.  Hmmmm.....Let me see....This should be easy...
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#10]
The only things they have in common are the 7.62x39mm caliber and that they are both "milled". Even then, how they are milled and from what type of steel are both substantially different.

Advantage = ARSENAL
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
ARSENAL!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#12]
So if I buy both an Arsenal and a C39v2 and put them through the same torture test, the C39v2 is going to fail?? I've seen lots of reviews showing the C39v2 doing great in the torture tests. I just think most of these answers are bias toward the Arsenal.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Tell you what. Buy both, & in 20 years let us know which gun is still working, & which one died after 2 years. The Bulgarian rifle was built in a REAL AK factory, using REAL AK parts that the Russians set them up, & supplied the machinery to build. The Century gun is built in the USA by parts made by who? When Century imported AK's from Romania, Egypt, or Serbia, but had to add 5 US parts for 922 compliance, they were generally good guns. When Century imported parts kits from Soviet satellite countries, & assembled them on US receivers, most were good, as they still used REAL AK parts from one of many Soviet countries. But when they make all the parts from scratch in the USA, where is the quality? As an example, look at the bolt carrier of any foreign made AK. Now compare that to the USA made bolt carrier Century has been putting into their 100% USA made AK's. Not even close.  GARY
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just think most of these answers are bias toward the Arsenal.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So if I buy both an Arsenal and a C39v2 and put them through the same torture test, the C39v2 is going to fail?? I've seen lots of reviews showing the C39v2 doing great in the torture tests. I just think most of these answers are bias toward the Arsenal.
View Quote
I love it when people ask for advice then try and say that its wrong.

Its not bias toward Arsenal, its people telling you which is better and which one will last a lifetime +.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey I was just trying to get A REAL ANSWER, not "because its arsenal". A lot of people will just put in their 2 cents because they can afford a Arsenal and want to be cool and simply post because they own one to show off. I'm simply trying to learn more about the AK because I have never owned one. I'm an AR platform type person and own multiple ARs, that's what I know. So don't get butt hurt if I said these answers seem bias to the arsenal.

Settle down, this is a technical forum. Keep disagreements civil or thread gets locked. dryflash3

SPECIFIC TO THE TECH FORUMS

The tech forums (Ar15,AK47,Handgun,Armory,Training,Outdoors) are more "formal" and actions permitted in the GD forum aren't permitted there. These forums are there to share information and as a result, trolling, heated arguments,insulting others,etc won't be ignored.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey I was just trying to get A REAL ANSWER, not "because its arsenal". A lot of people will just put in their 2 cents because they can afford a Arsenal and want to be cool and simply post because they own one to show off. I'm simply trying to learn more about the AK because I have never owned one. I'm an AR platform type person and own multiple ARs, that's what I know. So don't get butt hurt if I said these answers seem bias to the arsenal.
View Quote
You asked for opinions and you got them.

The Arsenal is a better rifle, that doesn't make the C39 bad.

ETA: If you can afford a C39, I find it unlikely that you can't afford an Arsenal.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Arsenal Bulgarian has 60+ years history of building AKs that are proven to work.  Century has a spotty 2 year history of building AKs that have know issues that may or may not be worked out.  
Bias towards Arsenal is because the Arsenal IS a better rifle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I have both and been very impressed with the century.  It out shoots the arsenal easily, and the finish is nicer.  I won't say it's a better weapon but that's my impression.  Coming to any ak forum you need to know anything and everything will be biased towards imports in the majority.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Good lord, everybody knows i'm not a fan of Arsenals, but even I will say that those two rifles shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. There's zero comparison.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Why is there no comparison?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#22]
After re-reading the posts I've come to the conclusion that people said to pick Arsenal due to quality not because CA was a bad rifle. If I'm bias towards higher quality guns then I guess your right, I'm bias so I'll bow out now. Pick both guns up and you can see and feel the quality difference. If you just want it to go bang then CA C39 V2 is perfectly capable of doing that. Don't feel you HAVE to spend more.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well lord knows i'm not a fan of Farmer Ted either, but see his reply above, it's spot-on and 100% true.

Century, just like a lot of others in the US, saw the rise in popularity and price of AK's, and decided to try and cash in. But just like so many other idiots who think they know AK's and consider them to be a cheap trash-can gun, they figured they could make cheap pieces of crap, cut corners all over the place, and we'd all be fine with that because we're ignorant to start with to place any value on these rifles.

And they are all finding out now just how wrong they were, but stubbornly they all keep pumping out crap, and unfortunately noobs keep buying them, and thus validating their original plan to make cash from ignorance.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quality.  Think about it this way - the Century is like buying an impact gun from Harbor Freight and the Arsenal is like buy a Ingersoll Rand impact gun.  The Harbor Freight impact gun will work fine for the guy that casually works on his car, but the professional mechanic buys the Ingersoll Rand or Snap-on because they know it will for every time for years and years.  
If you're going to put 200 rds a year through the rifle, then a Century may work fine.  If you're actually going to shoot the gun like it is meant to be shot, then get the Arsenal.  
I wouldn't wish the C39 on my worst enemy, well maybe one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#25]
AKOU. MAC and several others have given the OK to the v2.  

I have one with the Magpul goodies and it has run fine for me.  I haven't exactly beat it up but it eats everything I put in it and does so rather accurately and with minimal recoil.

I don't believe the Arsenal is worth the price increase unless you just want a "pedigree" name.  Not knocking the Arsenal but if you just want a knock around milled AK the v2 would be a fine choice.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have one with the Magpul goodies and it has run fine for me.  I haven't exactly beat it up but it eats everything I put in it and does so rather accurately and with minimal recoil.

I don't believe the Arsenal is worth the price increase unless you just want a "pedigree" name.  Not knocking the Arsenal but if you just want a knock around milled AK the v2 would be a fine choice.
View Quote
Rob does NOT endorse any US "manufactured" AK's to my knowledge........none!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Century C39V2 No BS Review! Is it Epic Fail or Working Gun?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#28]
To be fair, every imported rifle performed substantially better. Not saying the C39v2 is bad, but for a little bit more money you can have a much better and solidly proven rifle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

To be fair, every imported rifle performed substantially better. Not saying the C39v2 is bad, but for a little bit more money you can have a much better and solidly proven rifle.
View Quote
Somewhat true. But it does disprove what the above poster said and has proven to be a somewhat reliable gun by people who know what they're talking about.

I'll likely venture into the other guns but I am not unhappy I bought this one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Thats an old AKOU vid........since those rifles have been out awhile now and issues arose, I do believe he is not a supporter.  I will ask him tonight.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hey I was just trying to get A REAL ANSWER, not "because its arsenal". A lot of people will just put in their 2 cents because they can afford a Arsenal and want to be cool and simply post because they own one to show off. I'm simply trying to learn more about the AK because I have never owned one. I'm an AR platform type person and own multiple ARs, that's what I know. [color=#0000ff]So don't get butt hurt if I said these answers seem bias to the arsenal.
View Quote
Funny that you ask for opinions and then get upset when they don't agree with yours. Why ask if you don't want to hear what others think?

Now, I am most definitely NOT an Arsenal fanboy, in fact I don't own a single Arsenal rifle and unless one came my way at a super deal, I doubt if I will ever own one. Back when you could get a WASR for $500 and an Arsenal was twice that, I could see no reason to spend the extra money on a rifle that did nothing better for twice as much $.

Times have changed however, and now the days of inexpensive imports are over and you have very little options compared to just a few years ago. When a Century AK is $700 and a import like an Arsenal or a VEPR is available for as little as three bills more, I will always spend a little extra and get what I perceive to be the better gun. If you are only going to shoot a couple of hundred rounds a year, the Century guns will not doubt serve you well enough. If you are going to shoot thousands of rounds a year, I think you would be better served with the higher quality rifle.

I sincerely hope that Century now makes a better product than they did a couple of years ago. There were test done on a RAS47 and a C39 and the metal was much softer than on foriegn made AK's. I don't know of any recent tests done with the last few months, but until I see a positive track record over a few years, I personally am not going to spend MY money on one of their rifles.

I sounds to me as though you have probably already bought one of the Century AK's and were seeking vaildation for your purchase. When you didn't get that validation, you got mad at the messengers for not saying what you wanted to hear.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I did speak with Rob last night via email...he does NOT endorse the C39V2 nor the RAS 47.  The problem is the internals of these rifles, of which the RAS 47 and V2 share.  Mel64d on youtube will also quantify what I have said.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I believe it was Rob that said "bolt crumbles like Oreo".
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I have 3 Arsenals and I had 3 C39 V2s (only have 2 now). The C39V2 rifles are the prettier rifles, and that is about the only advantage. The Arsenals are better in every other way, even holding a slight edge on accuracy with the SAM7SF.  Knowing now the quality that went into the C39V2s, I may keep them to play with, but I have the Arsenals for more serious contingencies.

The comparison between the two is valid only if you want the C39V2 only for things that won't break it. Beyond that it becomes a matter of someone wanting to go cheaply and seeking justification for doing so.

You make your choice and you live with it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Funny that you ask for opinions and then get upset when they don't agree with yours. Why ask if you don't want to hear what others think?
These are just the typical responses I hate to see. I didnt want the typical glock "fan boy" response. My comment was not out of anger. I'm was simply seeking a different answer. I love high end stuff too and I can also afford to buy it one if I wanted so. I like most of us love guns right? ... and I like most of us have a go to gun...right? I like AR's better than I do Ak's but that doesn't mean I wouldn't own one. My go to's will always be an AR (just my preference). I was looking for and AK for the fun of shooting one and not for SHTF. With that said I'm not looking to pay top dollar on something that's for fun shooting and didn't require to spend top dollar but with the same token I didn't want a really crap gun and the milled receiver caught my attention.

Now, I am most definitely NOT an Arsenal fanboy, in fact I don't own a single Arsenal rifle and unless one came my way at a super deal, I doubt if I will ever own one. Back when you could get a WASR for $500 and an Arsenal was twice that, I could see no reason to spend the extra money on a rifle that did nothing better for twice as much $.

Times have changed however, and now the days of inexpensive imports are over and you have very little options compared to just a few years ago. When a Century AK is $700 and a import like an Arsenal or a VEPR is available for as little as three bills more, I will always spend a little extra and get what I perceive to be the better gun. If you are only going to shoot a couple of hundred rounds a year, the Century guns will not doubt serve you well enough. If you are going to shoot thousands of rounds a year, I think you would be better served with the higher quality rifle.

I sincerely hope that Century now makes a better product than they did a couple of years ago. There were test done on a RAS47 and a C39 and the metal was much softer than on foriegn made AK's. I don't know of any recent tests done with the last few months, but until I see a positive track record over a few years, I personally am not going to spend MY money on one of their rifles.

I sounds to me as though you have probably already bought one of the Century AK's and were seeking vaildation for your purchase. When you didn't get that validation, you got mad at the messengers for not saying what you wanted to hear.
I did actually buy one. It was side by side to the arsenal and I just couldn't justify to spend that much more for a fun gun.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Please don't use red font. That's the color that Mods use.

Green works well also.
View Quote
I didn't use a red font the fellow that quoted me did.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
These are just the typical responses I hate to see. I didnt want the typical glock "fan boy" response. My comment was not out of anger. I'm was simply seeking a different answer. I love high end stuff too and I can also afford to buy it one if I wanted so. I like most of us love guns right? ... and I like most of us have a go to gun...right? I like AR's better than I do Ak's but that doesn't mean I wouldn't own one. My go to's will always be an AR (just my preference). I was looking for and AK for the fun of shooting one and not for SHTF. With that said I'm not looking to pay top dollar on something that's for fun shooting and didn't require to spend top dollar but with the same token I didn't want a really crap gun and the milled receiver caught my attention.

I can appreciate not wanting to over spend on something that will basically be a toy, but the market for AR stuff is at an all time historic low while the prices of AK's have been steadily climbing. If I was just looking for a decent AK at a reasonable price, I would be on the lookout for a deal on a WASR or maybe an OPAP. However, the Century made rifles will have to be out there for a long while before I would spend my money on one. If I can get a quality rifle for a few dollars more than a bargain basement brand, I will gladly pay the extra $.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP is who I am asking. He did a goofy quote in that post.

Probably still learning all the options here.
View Quote
Yup! I'm a newb on this site.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would recommend not asking for opinions anymore then. If you are going to call everyone that doesn't agree with you a "fan boy" when you ask for an opinion then there is no reason to post. This is why some who are very knowledgeable here won't post in threads like this.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thats an old AKOU vid........since those rifles have been out awhile now and issues arose, I do believe he is not a supporter.  I will ask him tonight.
View Quote
Please do.  

I will be interested to hear it.  I value his opinion.

ETA... Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I would recommend not asking for opinions anymore then. If you are going to call everyone that doesn't agree with you a "fan boy" when you ask for an opinion then there is no reason to post. This is why some who are very knowledgeable here won't post in threads like this.
View Quote
Thank you for your opinion. Please refrain from derailing my post if you have nothing positive to add.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thank you for your opinion. Please refrain from derailing my post if you have nothing positive to add.
View Quote
Will do. Same goes for you and stop calling everyone else a "fan boy". Next time in your original post you might want to write "positive comments" only. Enjoy your new rifle, they are fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Will do. Same goes for you and stop calling everyone else a "fan boy". Next time in your original post you might want to write "positive comments" only. Enjoy your new rifle, they are fun to shoot.
View Quote
You must own a Glock. Im sorry.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I do not.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Snark from a noob. Anyone surprised?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Snark from a noob. Anyone surprised?
View Quote
Mods??
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top