Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/13/2017 4:50:17 PM EDT
Hey ya'll, I have a PSAK-47. I got the forged carrier in it now and I think am going to keep the rifle. I want try and use red dot and I already own. It is PA Advanced Red Dot full size. 50k battery life etc. I have had this thing since it came out new in 2014. It is still running great. I now have a Burris XTR II on my AR and would like to try and use this RDS on my AK. Have any of you ever run a Comp M4 type RDS your rifles? Which mount should I go with? Or should I just try and sell/trade it for a microdot?

Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you planning to mount it over the gas tube or use a side mount?
IMHO that's too big n heavy for mounting over the gas tube.
For side mounts Midwest Ind. or RS Regulate are the best options.

My preference is a TRS-25 red dot over the gas tube. If you want to co-witness you'll have to go with a railed gas tube like the Ultimak, butt here are other versions of this available.
Or replace your hand guards with something like the Hogue or CAA ones that have a rail on the upper guard. That will block your irons with an optic mounted.
Or go with a quad rail, but unless that setup includes a railed gas tube (I think Troy does) it won't co-witness.

Other options are replacing the rear site with a short pic rail, just enough space for a micro red dot. Or the TNW dogleg setup which gives you a full rail from the rear site to the back of the cover.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#2]
For any AK with a side rail, I prefer the RS Regulate mount regardless of the optic.  You wouldn't need to "downsize" unless you really wanted to.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely not on the gas tube. I would be using a side mount. I just haven't seen many folks running the Comp M4 style RDS on AK's.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Might fit on an Attero rail mount, I put a full size scope on one just to try it one time, used a generic pepr for rings, it worked but the fullsize scope was just too far forward.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been looking at the PA micro's to go on my psak47 with either an MI mount or rs regulate 301 w/ the micro attachment. AKOU has pretty good deals on their bundle packages for everything you need (not sure if they're in stock at the moment)- will be interested to see what you go with! Keep us posted

edit: just saw on akfiles you're going with the goat fucker set up- be sure to post pics over here, I'm seriously leaning that way
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top