Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/12/2017 4:07:31 PM EDT
I rarely run into any good deals but I finally got lucky. I've been wanting a Galil for a long time, I could never justify the Action Arms and Magnum Research prices. I found this Springfield imported model 710 that was not in the ban configuration, it was practically brand new with cosmoline on the FCG and various nooks and crannies.

The gentleman I purchased the rifle from wasn't into guns and inherited the rifle from his father. Purchase price was $1,200 . I asked about the muzzle device, tritium sights, and stock. He told me that's how the rifle came when his father purchased the rifle which is strange to me. The barrel is 1/7 twist and the bayo/bipod lug is the only item that would let you know this is a ban model. Did I get a early import ban rifle that wasn't molested other than the bayo/bipod lugs?

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
you got a hell of a deal. any glow left to the sights?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:15:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice! Congrats OP.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:30:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn you stole that thing, very nice. I believe the Springfield imports were from 91-92, so after the 89 import ban. Came with thumbhole stocks. So someone changed the stocks. Probably before the assault weapon ban of 94.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:41:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, bad ass. 

The Galil has been high on my bucket list for many years.

What a score, beautiful gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice!! I'd love to find a 710 at the price.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn you stole that thing, very nice. I believe the Springfield imports were from 91-92, so after the 89 import ban. Came with thumbhole stocks. So someone changed the stocks. Probably before the assault weapon ban of 94.
View Quote

From my research you are correct, the rifle is still a mystery to me. I want to believe it came in a sporting configuration but a detailed cleaning suggests something else. The stock has cosmoline where it mates up to the receiver as well as under the hand guard retainer, front and rear sight assemblies. It appears the owner wiped off enough cosmoline to safely fire a few rounds and stashed the rifle until I purchased it. As the seller stated, his father bought the rifle NIB in it's current configuration (I'm 35 and the seller was a little older than me).

I also noticed a very small tack weld on the muzzle device. Besides not having an "S" behind the 710 model number, this rifle is a mystery to me and goggle is not saying much.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
you got a hell of a deal. any glow left to the sights?
View Quote

The sights were covered in cosmoline, I clean them pretty well and no luck with any kind of radioactive glow...
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#8]

The only Galils I ever see go for like $3-4k.
Id love to own one, but I dont think Id be willing to pay that much.

On the other hand, if I found a deal like you did, Id shit.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Big score getting a 1/7 gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#10]
That's just beautiful...  

Mine's a homebuild, ugly as sin, but I have fun with it.  Based on what I've seen of prices, you stole that thing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#11]
pretty sweet
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#12]
How many threads?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Dang I miss my Galil.

Never even heard of a Springfield import.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Look close at your importer markings, something else was milled out in that long oval and then remarked Springfield.   Does your S/N start with "MR" running vertically in white paint?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:59:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Look close at your importer markings, something else was milled out in that long oval and then remarked Springfield.   Does your S/N start with "MR" running vertically in white paint?
View Quote

The S/N prefix begins with "G.S". From my research "G.S" signifies Galil Sport.

The importer roll mark appears to be solid, I don't see any evidence of covering up a previous importer.

My search on google says there are less than 1,000 Galils imported by Springfield. The rifles imported come sporterized which has me confused with the current state of my rifle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice Galil!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#17]
You stole it.  

1/7 twist is icing on the cake.  

I would have jumped on that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The rifles imported come sporterized which has me confused with the current state of my rifle.
View Quote
Most likely someone just "de-banned" it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
If I remember correctly, there were a few that were sold factory just like the one he has. (and why I said he stole it for that price)   That looks like a factory
Springfield finish, not one that was reconfigured.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly, there were a few that were sold factory just like the one he has. (and why I said he stole it for that price)   That looks like a factory
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip> there is a tacked thread at the top of the page to get values. I had a choice to lock this thread or edit it. So did the edit so your thread can continue.

Just start a thread  in the value tacked thread and list the basics and link to this thread for the pics. dryflash3

It's for insurance purposes when I update my gun insurance with USAA.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#21]
To think I was there when this deal went down. USN had cold feet and I told him to jump quick on this one.

Congrats USN.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Does the seller have any others?  
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Was in a LGS today and saw three mags for the Galil in the bargain bin. Snagged two mil-surp. AK mags and a mid-length AR HG set for $30 but didn't ask about the galil mags. Wasn't sure about the galil mags...2 of them looked like 30-35 rounders and the other one was maybe a 50 round mag (?). The possible 50 round mag was pretty well worn but looked serviceable. Might go back tomorrow...

Great score on the Galil OP.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top