Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/4/2017 9:42:37 PM EDT
I tried this in the optic forum but no response. does anyone have one of these on a 7.62 x 39 ak? if do how is it holding up?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a few of them a couple weeks back to throw on various "toy" guns. Put one on my M92 and moved the PA to another rifle. Unfortunately I haven't tried it on the M92 yet, but I just zeroed and shot one on my 11.5" AR today. It was on paper out of the box and quickly had it dialed in. Put 100rd through it at various rates and it worked fine.

No issues, and it appears to be almost identical to the PA dot. Fit and finish is the same as the PA, but glass has a touch of blue hue to it on the Fieldsport. Unlike the PA, the Fieldsport includes a protective lens for the front collimator which is a nice touch. I also like that the emitter on the Fieldsport is located at the 9-o'clock position which makes it easier to setup with cowitness.

If you go through the Amazon reviews, quite a few people have them on 7.62x39 AKs or even .308 semis with very few issues. For $20 you really can't go wrong with these things if you just want to put optics on a handful of casual use guns cheaply.

I'll also note that even though it says 4MOA the dot looks more like 2MOA to me. Not totally sure though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one late last year, have not had on either of my AKs but did mount it to a Sub2K.

So far no complaints, seems to work. Mine seems to be quite a bit dimmer than any of my TRS-25s which might be an issue in bright daylight. But dot is crisp and on max power is still visible every time I've used it outdoors. Setting 4 is about the same as setting 1 on my Bushnells. Holds zero and doesn't shut off or blink out under recoil. For range use I'd absolutely buy another.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If we're thinking of the same $20 optic, I've had one on a Marlin .30-30 for a while with no problem, and have rung steel with it out to 200 yards.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:53:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I put one on my 9mm AR glock mag lower, 4.5" pistol. 450 or so rounds later, it is still running fine. Will let you know when it STB.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:06:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Got out and shot the M92 with the Fieldsport today. It was nearly a foot high at 50yd when I zeroed it but it quickly got dialed in. After about 60 rounds the dot suddenly disappeared, and I noticed that the brightness selector was loose. Since I had read of a similar experience in one of the Amazon reviews, I knew what to check.

The small screws that internally secure the brightness control knob do not have any thread locker from the factory, so it's possible for them to back out. That is what happened to mine.

To remedy this, remove the battery cap, and remove the battery. Then grasp the internal battery ring with a small needle nose plier, and unscrew counter-clockwise while holding the brightness knob. The ring will screw out and will reveal the resistor plate. Pull the resistor plate up, and you can now see the set of screws attaching the knob and its base to the dot body.

The Amazon reviewer who had a similar experience said that he removed all the screws, put a dab of red thread locker on them, and reinstalled them, then has had no issue with the dot since. I will be performing the same "repair" which frankly should have been done at the factory, but hey it's a $20 dot.

I would say that if you purchase one of these, just plan on putting thread locker on the small screws before you even use it. I haven't had this problem with the one on my AR pistol but I'll be doing the same to it.

Here are some images of the loosened screws on the Fieldsport attached to my M92.

Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, I also have three of the Sightmark Ultra Shot reflex sights, first one ran fine but but the 2nd & 3rd ones would shut off during recoil. They have digital switches and the pre-set for intensity would default, so I knew it was losing power, so I re-worked the battery contacts and they're fine now. A VERY common complaint with all the Ultra Shot variations.

The point is, these were $100 sights. That's not expensive, but compared to a $20 Fieldsport or Ohuhu it should be better than that. I also have several TRS-25s mounted above the gas tubes of my AKs & VZ-2008, all have seen a lot of abuse and still work, and they're $70 each.

Out of ALL the 'budget' optics I've tried, these 'Micro T-1' clones like the TRS-25s or no name brand units seem to be the most accurate & reliable.

Thanks for posting this fix, looks like an easy one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#7]
There are a couple gotchas in the reassembly process but it should take about five minutes. Here is reassembly info I posted in the main thread about these.

I can now tell that some of the screws were likely loose from the factory. The brightness knob now feels more like my PA MD06.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/703581_Super-budget-red-dot--now-with-pics--.html&page=4#i7419927
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top