Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2017 3:49:07 PM EDT
How good are the DDI AKs?  How do they compare to the Arsenal AKs, such as the SLR-107 line?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Typically, not always, stuff made on the same machinery as the real military rifles are higher quality than stuff only made for the commercial market.  Not always but more often than not, an example in AR world is Tapco magazines versus Okay magazines.  Of course someone will come along and insist Tapco magazines are just as good as Okay magazines, but most people don't think so.  The same applies to AKs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree if not broke don't try and fix it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, which DDI rifles are you talking about, the surplus parts kits or the new (PSA owned) USA made rifles?
Which parts kit rifle are you looking at and what do you want to do?

Your question is much like asking "How does Toyota compare to a Lexus LS500?" OK, which Toyota and what specific features or aesthetics do you value?

Short answer, there is no comparison, Arsenal rifles are better.
Long answer, DDI hungarian stamped are pretty good, DDI forged bulgarian milled are ok, DDI/PSA USA made are probably low value when compared with WASR (cheaper/better) or Arsenal stamped (way better) or milled (way better/more expensive).

DDI had kg guncote finishes, decent barrels, and decent assembly. Sights are pretty straight and fair attention to detail.

If you want a trunk gun and are worried about rust, DDI would be great. Do you want a bayonet? DDI milled bulgarian sucks ass, but hungarian is great.
etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Short answer, there is no comparison, Arsenal rifles are better. more collectible
View Quote

Arsenals are not necessarily the best (maybe better than DDI, not going to weigh in because I don't own a DDI) but there are times when US builders assemble parts kits better than Arsenal. Mario at PoHF, Ted Marshall and Chris Butler for example
I see your point but think this is probably a more accurate statement.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Arsenals are not necessarily the best (maybe better than DDI, not going to weigh in because I don't own a DDI) but there are times when US builders assemble parts kits better than Arsenal. Mario at PoHF, Ted Marshall and Chris Butler for example
I see your point but think this is probably a more accurate statement.
View Quote

I don't believe Mario, Ted, or Chris build DDI rifles, right?

My statement is Arsenal is better than DDI.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I love mine. It's the Hungarian stamped Zhukov version. All mags I've tried in it have fit and worked well despite what the internet says. The riveting is very good. The sights are straight. The bolt doesn't stick, and it shoots great. I haven't punched paper with it yet , just beer cans and steel but it's a lot of fun.

I threw some on old wood furniture and sold the Zhukov stuff. Hated that forend and needed cash from the stock.

I got a 74 style brake from cnc warrior and the izhmash repro grip from classic arms.

I got this rifle on trade for an old beater Kimber I had. I wouldn't pay $850 for it. But then again I wouldn't pay that for an arsenal either. I'm eyeballing that alg trigger but so far the DDI has been everything I wanted it to be. My old wasr 10 was shit compared to the ddi.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#7]
My DDI stamped Hungarian underfolder is a fantastic AK. Can't speak about the rest.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I honestly am not trying to stir things but I have to ask specifically what makes the Arsenal better?
I wish I still owned my old SLR 105cr to compare side by side but I do have a Saiga and a DDI. They are both every bit as nice as my old Arsenal with the DDI finish being the best. I would really like specifics as in heat treating,forge and casting practices.  I would imagine that you could argue barrels( my DDI is a pistol that I believe may have the Romanian barrel.
          I would say the Norico was maybe the best of the ones I've owned but that is totally subjective and they are no longer sold new here.       I've said it before but I really enjoyed AK rifles before the snob factor.
I suppose when the prices sky rocked the writing was on the wall.    
 I know it's a bit off track, but you guys that have been around gotta admit. The days of bump firing your AR while pampering the AK are surreal.
      I do like that we've seen a price drop with the SLR107. I think the Arsenal may be the top of the current pack because of resale value consistency and maybe a slight edge in quality. But who are we kidding,  An AK that shoot's better than 3MOA is a tack driver and they are the most fun once the hand guard is smoking nt

EDIT
    I logged on to my old AK files account.   Seems like DDI has had some issues.   I knew about the batch of extractors but rivet work and something about a stock falling off.
Has anyone had any issues like this
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]
What makes an Arsenal possibly better than a DDI (it really comes down to what you want because anything can have problems)

-Arsenal you're getting a gun from a manufacturer that has been making them for 30 or 40 years, and supposedly the same parts used in the military guns, so you'd expect they know what they are doing to make something last a long time-----DDI is a recently new company and doesn't have that same experience, you also don't have the history of reliability or problems to look back on
-Authenticity--some people want something supposedly very close the real military guns, some people it doesn't matter.  An example in the AR world is Colt.  Colts supposedly follow the military spec to a T and something like Bushmaster or DPMS doesn't.  That doesn't mean you cant get 1000's of trouble free rounds out of BM or DPMS.
-Authenticity again-Arsenals seem to many times come with the very desirable Russian/Bulgy stuff like the expensive folding stocks, 24mm site base
-History-you have a history of people saying Arsenals are top notch so you would think there is something to that over the years aka people don't seem to have a bunch of problems with them

If you search on here for DDI problems and Arsenal problems, you'll find there are probably a lot more reported with DDI...Arsenal has been around for a lot longer and you find fewer problems.  That doesn't mean most people won't have great luck with DDI's.  Read about all the different guns, search on problems people have, and buy what you want.  A lot of people with DDI's seem to be sensitive to others saying they have problems or saying Arsenals are better, if its what you want buy one and enjoy it.  If you don't think an Arsenal is worth the extra money then don't buy one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#10]
One thread says DDIs are junk, and then another thread pops up and DDIs are great. 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one of the hungarian parts kits ak from DDI. My friend has an arsenal ak and the fit/finish on the DDI is far better. After several hundred rounds thru mine, I haven't had one fail to fire or any other related issue. I purchased mine used with very few rounds thru it. Before purchasing, I contacted DDI about the warranty since I wasn't the original purchaser and DDI informed me that wasn't an issue. After DDI was purchased by PSA, I emailed DDI and asked about warranty issues, DDI responded promptly and instructed me to contact DDI customer service with any issues. Mine has the tight fitting magwell(?). So far, magpul is the only mag I have found that fits. But, that isn't an issue for me.
Just my opinion. I do like my DDI!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I like my DDI Hungarian parts build.  Mine is the MOE version.  My only issue was no mags at all locked in when I got it - not even the Magpul that came with it or any of my surplus mags from around the world.  But a thin file on the top of the mag catch fixed that up fast.  Worked great since then - no failures.  I've only put a few hundred rounds through it since I don't have a lot of shooting time, but I would buy another one if I wanted another AK in 7.62.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top