Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 5:58:11 AM EDT
Who do you recommend? Parts, etc.
Who can I email/talk to?

Pic is old, but its how she sits.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you wanting to swap in a 4.5mm folding trunnion? are you going to do the work yourself or are you going to send it to a smith?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you wanting to swap in a 4.5mm folding trunnion? are you going to do the work yourself or are you going to send it to a smith?
View Quote

Honestly I am a complete noob with AK trunnions.

What would be needed/done for:

A) Triangle stock

or

B) Wood stock

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Both are going to require a trunnion swap, the fixed stock is going to be cheaper both in parts and most likely labor, but folding stock M92's are very nice. I did the swap on mine myself and while I had never done any AK work before, I do have experience in metal fabrication and welding so that helped. I'm sure there has to be good AK smiths in AZ, just do a little searching here and on AKFiles forum. here's some pics of my M92.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Both are going to require a trunnion swap, the fixed stock is going to be cheaper both in parts and most likely labor, but folding stock M92's are very nice. I did the swap on mine myself and while I had never done any AK work before, I do have experience in metal fabrication and welding so that helped. I'm sure there has to be good AK smiths in AZ, just do a little searching here and on AKFiles forum. here's some pics of my M92.
View Quote

What parts do I need to do it?

What trunnion, etc?

What did you refinish it with?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's a kit from AKbuilder Triangle sidefolding stock set it comes with everything but the rivets( which you would also purchase from AKbuilder)

Here's a how to thread from the AKFiles M92 side folding stock install

ETA: I Cerakoted both my M92 and M85 after installing the trunnion.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here's a kit from AKbuilder Triangle sidefolding stock set it comes with everything but the rivets( which you would also purchase from AKbuilder)

Here's a how to thread from the AKFiles M92 side folding stock install

ETA: I Cerakoted both my M92 and M85 after installing the trunnion.
View Quote

Looks like he used quite a few tools from AK-builder.

Also, does this keep the same rear angle as before? Or does that change
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:10:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Looks like he used quite a few tools from AK-builder.

Also, does this keep the same rear angle as before? Or does that change
View Quote

yes he does, If you don't have access to a press Toth Tools makes some pretty nice riveting tools that don't require a press, I used their bolt cutter jaws to do the short rivets on both mine. there's a slight angle built into the triangle stock, but it's no where near as bad as the factory trunnion.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:16:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

yes he does, If you don't have access to a press Toth Tools makes some pretty nice riveting tools that don't require a press, I used their bolt cutter jaws to do the short rivets on both mine. there's a slight angle built into the triangle stock, but it's no where near as bad as the factory trunnion.
View Quote

Guess I have to decide if its cheaper to send it to someone or do it on my own. I need to buy tools.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:01:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Guess I have to decide if its cheaper to send it to someone or do it on my own. I need to buy tools.
View Quote

Well if you buy the tools and DIY, you can usually resell the tools after you're done for 80-90% of what you paid on AKFiles. before I decided to do the swap myself I got a few quotes from AK smiths and they ranged from $180-$300(for labor only) depending on if I wanted them to refinish the barreled receivers after. I decided to buy the tools and DIY because I was going to do both my M92 and M85, so it made sense to me. I also kept the tools because now I want to do a kit build.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:28:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well if you buy the tools and DIY, you can usually resell the tools after you're done for 80-90% of what you paid on AKFiles. before I decided to do the swap myself I got a few quotes from AK smiths and they ranged from $180-$300(for labor only) depending on if I wanted them to refinish the barreled receivers after. I decided to buy the tools and DIY because I was going to do both my M92 and M85, so it made sense to me. I also kept the tools because now I want to do a kit build.
View Quote

I'll do some research.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top