Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2017 4:42:05 PM EDT
I assume this is a result of the "axe two old regulations for every new one" policy. I wonder what the trade off will be.

Looks like a possibility, though:

“Restriction on imports serves questionable public safety interests, as these rifles are already generally legally available for manufacture and ownership in the United States,” Turk wrote of the ban on imported AR-15s and AK-style weapons.
View Quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/senior-atf-official-proposes-loosening-gun-regulations/2017/02/06/beeb1120-ec7c-11e6-9662-6eedf1627882_story.html?utm_term=.596eb40db0b2
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Adjusting for inflation, a $250-300 rifle in '89 is about $480-580 in 2016.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, hopefully! Would love a SIG 550/51/53LB, and more 7N6!!!

Oh, cheaper AK's, and parts kits W/original barrels like the good 'ol days!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Wonder if 7N6 could be back on the table with this more common-sense approach. We shall see I guess, not gonna hold my breath.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Adjusting for inflation, a $250-300 rifle in '89 is about $480-580 in 2016.
View Quote

Imagine having $600 properly-configured factory AK-100 series rifles coming in.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Imagine having $600 properly-configured factory AK-100 series rifles coming in.
View Quote

It would appeal to a large host of people for sure. Honestly, I don't have that much interest in "traditional" / "period correct" / "as Kalashnikov intended" rifles. I'd much, much rather see an American company on the order of Daniel Defense or Bravo Company design a true American AK and propel the system forward into the modern era. We've had 70 years to do better, so let's!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wonder if 7N6 could be back on the table with this more common-sense approach. We shall see I guess, not gonna hold my breath.
View Quote

The ATF white letter has a section about reconsidering AP ammunition. The pistol part makes me doubt we'll see 7N6 again though because of the Radom 5.45 pistol that was submitted for approval in 2011.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Read-the-white-paper-on-firearms-regulations.pdf
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#7]
So SVD's can be had again?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Even if the US opens all imports again the Russians still have the VRA in place where they agreed not to sell SVDs and other rifles to the US. SVDs meet the sporting definition and should be importable but as you can see they haven't been.

A few years ago it seemed like they were trying to get the VRA expired but I haven't heard anything in a long time
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:It would appeal to a large host of people for sure. Honestly, I don't have that much interest in "traditional" / "period correct" / "as Kalashnikov intended" rifles. I'd much, much rather see an American company on the order of Daniel Defense or Bravo Company design a true American AK and propel the system forward into the modern era. We've had 70 years to do better, so let's!
View Quote

Something like this?

https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/rifle-mk47-akm2-7-62x39mm-sbn-mutant/
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Very doubtful, I wish we would but I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Something like this?

https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/rifle-mk47-akm2-7-62x39mm-sbn-mutant/
View Quote

A few steps in the right direction, yes. I think PSA's new entry is closer; add to it XCR/ACR style ambidextrous controls to lock back and release the bolt and that should about do it for making a rifle that takes AK mags as good as it gets.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are referring to Norinco's and Poly Techs, then I would be happy as shit....

But I doubt that it would happen on that grand of a scale... if at all..
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you are referring to Norinco's and Poly Techs, then I would be happy as shit....

View Quote

I don't think those rifles are even produced anymore.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I hope the 89' import ban is repealed, sucks for the guys with their "pre-bans" though, especially if they bought them in the last few years at the inflated prices.  Id love to pick up a newly imported Maadi or Norinco.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen.  Not saying it won't but first it has to be repealed then they would have to be available to be imported.  I doubt the military factories still produce semi auto AK's for export anymore - not saying they couldn't or wouldn't but that's another part of the puzzle that would have to fall in place.  Back when they were available before, those same factories were producing AK's but now they produce the QBZ-95.   Who knows though, maybe the Chinese are sitting on warehouses of the things you never know.  What I feel pretty sure of is anything that would come in wouldn't look like the old 56s.  Today the young'uns want polymer this and rail that and tactical shit out the ass..nothing I hate seeing worse is a preban that has been butchered.  It will be like my Colt Pre-ban's, the SP1 rifle and carbine and AR15A2 rifles and carbines.   They may make new guns with all the nasty features but the new stuff just isn't the same as the old stuff if you know what I mean.

Earl

Quoted:
I hope the 89' import ban is repealed, sucks for the guys with their "pre-bans" though, especially if they bought them in the last few years at the inflated prices.  Id love to pick up a newly imported Maadi or Norinco.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#16]
A semi QBZ-95 would be just as nice, hopefully with cheap norinco ammo too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#17]
What about the semi Type 81 ? Doesn't Canada get those imported ?

With the whole "America first" I doubt we will ever see a relaxed Chinese import ban on rifles and ammo. Russian SVD's and the piles of SVT38/40, German G41/43, lugers, p38. etc. would be nice too, but likely a pipe dream.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Bulgaria produced an SVD in the early 90's. Maybe they could revamp?

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bulgaria produced an SVD in the early 90's. Maybe they could revamp?

View Quote

An SVD is my grail gun (along with a lot of other people) if someone offered one in either 7.62x54r or 308 I would sell other guns just to buy it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not .22 caliber.
View Quote

Yup, that's what I was trying to get at. It's not .22 caliber, and it's not entirely steel.

So it doesn't seem a huge stretch that someone with an open mind would actually listen to those facts.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not .22 caliber.
View Quote

It shouldn't be banned at all using that standard, but it is anyway.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:05:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Yep, they do (or did)..not sure about these days.  I know they also still get Chinese M14 copies but I've just never personally been a fan of them.  Earl

Quoted:
What about the semi Type 81 ? Doesn't Canada get those imported ?

With the whole "America first" I doubt we will ever see a relaxed Chinese import ban on rifles and ammo. Russian SVD's and the piles of SVT38/40, German G41/43, lugers, p38. etc. would be nice too, but likely a pipe dream.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The ATF white letter has a section about reconsidering AP ammunition. The pistol part makes me doubt we'll see 7N6 again though because of the Radom 5.45 pistol that was submitted for approval in 2011.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Read-the-white-paper-on-firearms-regulations.pdf
View Quote

So it's been 6 year where in the F*#@k is this 5.45 "pistol", that caused this ban on 7N6 ?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So it's been 6 year where in the F*#@k is this 5.45 "pistol", that caused this ban on 7N6 ?
View Quote

I don't think it ever even went into production. But at least one exists in the ATF's eyes, so 5.45 is a pistol round.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hear ya... But, a man can still dream, right?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#27]
There still being made I saw Norinco ak47s semi auto of course on the European market
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There still being made I saw Norinco ak47s semi auto of course on the European market
View Quote

This is a case where I would be very pleased to be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeah, hopefully! Would love a SIG 550/51/53LB, and more 7N6!!!

Oh, cheaper AK's, and parts kits W/original barrels like the good 'ol days!
View Quote

You don't understand......

There will be no need for parts kits.

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen.  Not saying it won't but first it has to be repealed then they would have to be available to be imported.  I doubt the military factories still produce semi auto AK's for export anymore - not saying they couldn't or wouldn't but that's another part of the puzzle that would have to fall in place.  Back when they were available before, those same factories were producing AK's but now they produce the QBZ-95.   Who knows though, maybe the Chinese are sitting on warehouses of the things you never know.  What I feel pretty sure of is anything that would come in wouldn't look like the old 56s.  Today the young'uns want polymer this and rail that and tactical shit out the ass..nothing I hate seeing worse is a preban that has been butchered.  It will be like my Colt Pre-ban's, the SP1 rifle and carbine and AR15A2 rifles and carbines.   They may make new guns with all the nasty features but the new stuff just isn't the same as the old stuff if you know what I mean.

Earl
View Quote

The 1989 import ban does not have to be repealed by Congress at all....

It was an E.O. by Bush Sr.

All we need is for our guy to tell the Bush's to go pound sand...

Don't think Trump will do it????

Let's place a bet!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#32]
The other thing that we keep overlooking about 7N6 is that even if the ATF didn't ban it, 7N6 would still be unavailable right now for the same reason 7.62x54R surplus is gone: the ongoing conflict in Ukraine.

All of the surplus ammunition in 5.45 and 54R was coming from Ukraine. 54R is gone too, but it wasn't ever banned. Ukraine stopped selling it.

There was some 5.45 and 54R surplus coming in from Bulgaria, but it seems like they already sold everything they're willing to sell.

Trump could personally tell the ATF to allow 7N6, but our importers won't be able to find any overseas to buy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The other thing that we keep overlooking about 7N6 is that even if the ATF didn't ban it, 7N6 would still be unavailable right now for the same reason 7.62x54R surplus is gone: the ongoing conflict in Ukraine.

All of the surplus ammunition in 5.45 and 54R was coming from Ukraine. 54R is gone too, but it wasn't ever banned. Ukraine stopped selling it.

There was some 5.45 and 54R surplus coming in from Bulgaria, but it seems like they already sold everything they're willing to sell.

Trump could personally tell the ATF to allow 7N6, but our importers won't be able to find any overseas to buy.
View Quote

I know if 54r ever becomes cheap again I'll buy 5 cases. I'm down to 1 1/2 now and i just can't bring myself to shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:01:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are, Norinco is now sold under the name SDM; Sino Defense Manufacturing. They're just not sold in the US.
The classics...

And sporting their new skull logo on the rear sight block, plus updated models..

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:12:49 AM EDT
[#35]
I wish imports were plentiful again. I hate relying on PSA/DDI or Century for anything affordable. I noticed foreign AKs actually cost more now vs the cringey U.S. made AKs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Could always start a fire mission and write physical letters to Trump.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Doubtful. The distributors know what people will pay for them now.
On the bright side, some correction in price will probably happen.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Oh it would be nice if that SVD could come in...I'll believe it when I see it..lmao things like that coming in again would likely send Schumer, Fienstein, and Pelosi into cardiac arrest! :)
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Earl

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Earl

Quoted:

The Chinese still make them, both in semi and full auto for civis. They used to be sold in full auto to people in the Philippines until recent law changes. I don't see the Russians or Chinese stopping production anytime soon. I am sure some of the smaller factories will close shop. But the Russians, Chinese and Polish will likely be building them for years to come. The Chinese sell AKs all over the world, and the Polish just ordered thousands more for their military.

I would love to see the import ban go away. Swiss Arms SG 551s would be great, Colt Canada C7s just because.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top