Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2017 3:59:34 PM EDT
Where would you start with trying to diagnose the issue of light primer strikes with a mini Draco?

I was using brass cases ammo (indoor range) so I assume with military surplus it'll be worse.  

I don't really know my way around an AK like I do an AR.   I did have a trigger job done when I got the mini Draco converted to an SBR.  

I'm assuming that is the issue.  I don't mind switching that out for an ALG trigger.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The chamber in the bolt that houses the firing pin is likely dirty.

Disassemble the bolt and use a pipe cleaner to clean the inside of the bolt.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#2]
In addition to the firing pin channel, clean inside the bolt lock up channels within the barrel shroud and the breech face.  The bolt can give a little bit upon a hammer strike, causing a light primer strike, if the bolt face is not firmly seated into the breech.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Always start with the least invasive procedure. Is this brass ammo the only one you've tried? Or did you try different brands with the same result?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I was using brass cases ammo (indoor range) so I assume with military surplus it'll be worse.  
View Quote

What military surplus do you plan on shooting? Unless you stocked up years ago, there's hardly any on the market anyway.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I want to apologize to everyone in this thread.  I mis-stated some points and I am a dumb ass.  

Also thanks for the tips.  I'll try them this weekend.  

Specifically.  

1.  I went for the most expensive option of replacing a trigger.  I should have looked into a thorough cleaning first.  Will do.  

2.  I don't think I have any "military surplus" ammo.  
I lumped all steel cased ammo into the military surplus.  I do have 5.45 that is surplus, but not 7.62.  Sorry about that.  

3.  I only fired one type of brass cased ammo.  The light strikes were not consistent.  I didn't find any pattern.  The ammo was bought at the indoor range.  I just wanted to sight it in.  The ammo was over 50 cents a round, so I didn't buy much.  

Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure your hammer spring is installed correctly.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:09:36 AM EDT
[#7]
The firing pin wasn't freely moving in the bolt.  I've cleaned it but haven't shot it yet.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top