AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want to see my damn SLR107FR-11 in stock at Kavar and my card shipped and the rifle on the way to me that's what I want...in stock and shipping the week of Shot Show my ass.  I guess it could be worse, at least my card hasn't been charged yet.  Earl
View Quote
Im assuming you meant K-var?  Are you talking about the non folding version? the 107R?  
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Better is easy. The Texas Weapon Systems dogleg top cover is arguably a better solution (which is why it was used and copied by the Russians). The Sabrewerks KOP system is absolutely, unequivocally better than any other option in its space, but that comes at a not insignificant cost. Really, the one thing Sabrewerks needs to do is design an optic mount for their system that puts a 1-X optic as low as possible and it would be the perfect mount system for those willing to pay to play.
View Quote

The Russians copied the TWS dogleg?  I hadn't heard that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
More 5.45x39 rifles and ammunition on the market.

I'd especially love to see the Romanian AES-10B RPKs in 5.45x39 reach our shores. Cugir offered them. Century didn't bite for whatever reason.
View Quote

Century, a master at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

No one wants the modernized AKs coming out of Zastava like the M21 or the 7.62x54R DMR one that I've forgotten the name of either, according to them. But crappy American-made AKs with self-destructing headspace? Heck to the yeah!

The AES-20B (to follow the Cugir naming pattern) has been a fantasy of mine for a long time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Better is easy. The Texas Weapon Systems dogleg top cover is arguably a better solution (which is why it was used and copied by the Russians). The Sabrewerks KOP system is absolutely, unequivocally better than any other option in its space, but that comes at a not insignificant cost. Really, the one thing Sabrewerks needs to do is design an optic mount for their system that puts a 1-X optic as low as possible and it would be the perfect mount system for those willing to pay to play.
View Quote

Yeah...no. Nope. Not at all

I don't think you have used the ZenitCo B33 system, if you did you would know why it's the best. I have the TWS and the Zenitco, no question that Zenitco is the better system. Do you know what B22 is? Any experience with it at all? Doesn't sound like it

The Sabreworks is only suitable for red dots. How are you going to mount magnifiers, thermals or other optics that need a lot of rail space? Zenitco is the better option here too

Z
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Kit with barrels for under $100.
View Quote

Except you wouldn't see any because I wouldn't make the same mistake I did last time. Instead of a couple dozen I'd buy all of them

But yeah, I'd love to see that again.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am watching this thread to see if there are any good ideas here.

I think we all know that $300 Saigas, Russian SVD's, and a lot of other things here are wishful thinking/pure fantasy at this point,  so what would you guys like to see that *realistically* is feasible?

i.e

Better optics mount options for the current AK?
$999 9mm AK that takes MP5 mags?
U.S.  made balanced action AK?

Those are a few I can think of off the top of my head that would be feasible with a proper investment of time, money, and R&D from a driven manufacturer.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Oooohhh yeah. Balanced action AK that was reliable would be a day one buy for me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:04:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes and Yes the ones that were supposed to be in stock 3 weeks ago and shipping but are probably still on a boat in the Pacific somewhere.

Quoted:
Im assuming you meant K-var?  Are you talking about the non folding version? the 107R?  
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes and Yes the ones that were supposed to be in stock 3 weeks ago and shipping but are probably still on a boat in the Pacific somewhere.
View Quote
That kinda sucks.  

Hope you get it soon.  They charge your card yet ? 
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think it's more chicken vs egg but I'm putting money on the US-made cover coming first; TWS came out with their gen 2 top cover rail in 2011 or so, not sure when their first gen came out, and Larry Vickers commented on the Russians using the TWS cover (and Krebs safeties for that matter) in 2015. This is right around the same time we started seeing Russian-made railed top covers at Legion and a couple other websites but with limited availability. Molot has also had them on their shotguns for at least a couple years now.

Quoted:

I don't think you have used the ZenitCo B33 system, if you did you would know why it's the best. I have the TWS and the Zenitco, no question that Zenitco is the better system. Do you know what B22 is? Any experience with it at all? Doesn't sound like it

The Sabreworks is only suitable for red dots. How are you going to mount magnifiers, thermals or other optics that need a lot of rail space? Zenitco is the better option here too

Z

I'm familiar with the Zenitco B-33 system. It is stable but part of a heavy overall system that requires the B-10M or B-30 handguards. The only real draw of the system is that it's Russian and it's strong, not that it is objectively better as an optics mount. I am not familiar with the B-22.

The Sabrewerks system is just fine for all of what you mention. It doesn't take more than a minute looking at this page on their website to see that. You can use a standard long pic rail if you want to use a magnifier behind a red dot (I hate magnifiers myself, but to each their own). That pic rail can also support thermal or night vision scopes if you use them, providing they attach via standard picatinny rail. Or you can use more specialized mounts, of which they have several. Once they make a slightly lower mount specifically for lower magnification 1-X's that have lower 1/3 cowitness with the front sight then they'll be basically perfect as far as an optic mounting system and they are mounting to the most stable part of the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#12]
An American made reliable and affordable forged receiver with a hammer forged barrel AK.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#13]
How about a quick change barrel system. Make it with a RPK type receiver and trunnion.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How about a quick change barrel system. Make it with a RPK type receiver and trunnion.
View Quote

Is this even possible without redesigning both the receiver and the piston system? At that point we're talking about a completely different rifle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Century, a master at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

No one wants the modernized AKs coming out of Zastava like the M21 or the 7.62x54R DMR one that I've forgotten the name of either, according to them. But crappy American-made AKs with self-destructing headspace? Heck to the yeah!

The AES-20B (to follow the Cugir naming pattern) has been a fantasy of mine for a long time.
View Quote

The M91. There was talk in 2013/2014 of importing it. Then the whole idea seemed to have disappeared.

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/militaryproduct/sniper-rifle-m91
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is this even possible without redesigning both the receiver and the piston system? At that point we're talking about a completely different rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't think it would be too difficult.  I'd look at designing the barrel to have the RSB and handguard attached to it so you wont have to mess with the gas tube.  The carrier could have a locking mech to change piston lengths.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sort of, from what I can tell it was the Ukrainians.

https://www.legionusa.com/me-ak-receiver-dust-cover-with-picatinny.html
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sort of, from what I can tell it was the Ukrainians.

https://www.legionusa.com/me-ak-receiver-dust-cover-with-picatinny.html
View Quote

I think you're right and I may stand corrected. I had thought Russia made its own version but now I can't find what I thought they made in the web stores.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Z
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Z

This ^. Zenitco is just better in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Saiga mk-107
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#22]
The counter balance Ak-107
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I wouldn't think it would be too difficult.  I'd look at designing the barrel to have the RSB and handguard attached to it so you wont have to mess with the gas tube.  The carrier could have a locking mech to change piston lengths.
View Quote
Zastava actually made one version of their RPK with a quick change barrel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm.  I'd like to see that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey Sven,  I think we wanna see some quad mags at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#26]
A side folding stock for fixed stock trunions, that doesn't look like dog shit. Magpul Zhukov isn't terrible, but I'd like something more traditional looking.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A side folding stock for fixed stock trunions, that doesn't look like dog shit. Magpul Zhukov isn't terrible, but I'd like something more traditional looking.
View Quote

I'd like a fixed stock for side folding trunnions.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hmmmm.  I'd like to see that.
View Quote
I took time out this morning before going to the range to try and find the picture of the rifle. I could not. It was probably 8+ years ago when I found it. It had a lever that went down below the front trunnion. I believe it was a modified barrel pin attached to a lever that made it a quick release. Downside to this is each barrel would have to be headspaced for a particular rifle and could not be a universal type fit. I'll keep trying to find the picture. Was easier all those years back before the internet was flooded with Yugoslavian RPK info.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#29]
1. I'd like to see someone make basically a copy of a Russian triangle (folding) stock, but make it a fixed stock that works on AKM's and attaches just like a regular stock.

2. Better grips. Lose the angle some, add palmswells, make them big enough for larger hands. The new Magpul K2 AK grip is not bad, something like a cross between it and the Stark AK grip would be perfect.

3. Skeletonized metal grip frames.  Make roughly a copy of a CZ or 1911 grip for an AK, including the ability to use custom grip panels that those handguns normally use (the variety here is endless). Mod actual magazine for that pistol and turn into a grip insert and even retain the mag release button to use for insert catch/release. How cool would that be?

4. Mid length handguards. Just to the gas block . And I don't mean by cutting off your handguard retainer, the system Troy uses for their long handguards works perfectly.
And a top handguard/gas tube setup so the top handguard runs the entire length of the tube like the Vepr set-up from BHA. Then maybe i'd quit burning my f***ing thumb on the exposed portion of the gas tube occasionally.

5. Wouldn't mind seeing an M10 type rifle with 14.5 barrel and permed FH of my choice to bring it to 16. Great balance on the combo GB/FSB guns, losing an extra inch of barrel even better, no bayo lug or side mount (just extra weight), maybe even with a fluted barrel, thinking sub 6 pound AK here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
1. I'd like to see someone make basically a copy of a Russian triangle (folding) stock, but make it a fixed stock that works on AKM's and attaches just like a regular stock.

2. Better grips. Lose the angle some, add palmswells, make them big enough for larger hands. The new Magpul K2 AK grip is not bad, something like a cross between it and the Stark AK grip would be perfect.

3. Skeletonized metal grip frames.  Make roughly a copy of a CZ or 1911 grip for an AK, including the ability to use custom grip panels that those handguns normally use (the variety here is endless). Mod actual magazine for that pistol and turn into a grip insert and even retain the mag release button to use for insert catch/release. How cool would that be?

4. Mid length handguards. Just to the gas block . And I don't mean by cutting off your handguard retainer, the system Troy uses for their long handguards works perfectly.
And a top handguard/gas tube setup so the top handguard runs the entire length of the tube like the Vepr set-up from BHA. Then maybe i'd quit burning my f***ing thumb on the exposed portion of the gas tube occasionally.

5. Wouldn't mind seeing an M10 type rifle with 14.5 barrel and permed FH of my choice to bring it to 16. Great balance on the combo GB/FSB guns, losing an extra inch of barrel even better, no bayo lug or side mount (just extra weight), maybe even with a fluted barrel, thinking sub 6 pound AK here.
View Quote

Quoted for truth. Every suggestion listed is a solid one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#31]
RPKs and SVDs

yep
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I say SVDs too.

I'd really just be happy with the barrel ban gone and parts kits rolling back in along with cheap 5.45 again.

Saigas too. I like building them up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I want to see Type-3 Soviet AK-47 clones and for zero modern AKs to be called 47 unless they are said clones. 99% of AK"47"s on the market are AKM/74 looking hybrids.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:50:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

1 Exists: The stock you want

3 is coming in a version from Circle 10 as well ( I designed it for them )

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:07:10 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:41:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Bulgarian SAM7 classic rifles for sale at a realistic price. Paying $1000 extra for a 45 degree gas block is insane.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:43:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
An American made reliable and affordable forged receiver with a hammer forged barrel AK.
View Quote

DDI was cranking them out and then stopped. Funny you should post that. I e-mailed them tonight at work about their AK-47L or R or M or whatever milled AK they sold in 2015 and said they had no plans to produce them anymore.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I contribute this as a total noob, and realize it might be impossible: a drop in rear sight leaf graduated for yards, not meters.  I've never been to a range where things were measured in meters.  It's always yards and feet.  

Cheers,

Jack
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Bulgie milled uf & rpk
View Quote

a bulgarian milled underfolder is currently offered by arsenal/kvar corp

I just bought two
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:17:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:39:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:AKs are cheap because they are manufactured by the millions on tooling paid for by State owned factories, not because they are an inexpensive design
View Quote

The AK is cheap because it is far simpler, manufactured from easier to procure and work materials with more generous tolerances (particularly in it's AKM form) than it's near peers. That is, in fact, one of the driving elements of it's design (simple, rugged, easy to manufacture, cheap, and easily mobilized production). If the AK were to enjoy the same level of automation and distribution in product production that is seen among AR's in the US then the price would be below that of the AR. You are, unfortunately, looking at prices in the US that have nothing to do with the actual cost of production of a mature platform. Instead, you are looking at an artificially constrained market due to restrictions on importation or an immature market that lacks the industrial configuration that existed in the Soviet Union. These are not comparable prices and you are, surprisingly, one of the first people I have ever heard make the argument that the AK is not an "inexpensive design" among near peers and I have, frankly, no idea where one would get such an idea.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#42]
308 Dragunov
Sometimes I think I need more guns, then I go shooting and realize I would rather have more ammo and a lot of steel targets on a private range.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:28:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The AK is cheap because it is far simpler, manufactured from easier to procure and work materials with more generous tolerances (particularly in it's AKM form) than it's near peers. That is, in fact, one of the driving elements of it's design (simple, rugged, easy to manufacture, cheap, and easily mobilized production). If the AK were to enjoy the same level of automation and distribution in product production that is seen among AR's in the US then the price would be below that of the AR. You are, unfortunately, looking at prices in the US that have nothing to do with the actual cost of production of a mature platform. Instead, you are looking at an artificially constrained market due to restrictions on importation or an immature market that lacks the industrial configuration that existed in the Soviet Union. These are not comparable prices and you are, surprisingly, one of the first people I have ever heard make the argument that the AK is not an "inexpensive design" among near peers and I have, frankly, no idea where one would get such an idea.
View Quote

You should compare the tool sets used to make a stamped rifle with the tool sets to make a CNC and MIM rifle. Stampings have been losing ground to cheaper CNC and molded parts. I have a S&W Model 41 with a sheet metal follower, nowadays it is much cheaper to mold a follower or MIM one. Stampings require specialized dies that wear out. CNC does not generally require specialized tooling. MIM does not wear out molds. Sure joe blow can do a stamped receiver in his garage out of a shovel, but man hours equals dollars in manufacturing. Bottom line stamping is not the lowest priced route unless you are manufacturing in large quantities.
BTW the AKM has generous clearance. Space between parts. Tolerance is leeway from a specification when making parts. Many of the AKM variants were tightly regulated on their allowed tolerance. Finnish Valmet vs Romanian WASR is a good example.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
BTW the AKM has generous clearance. Space between parts. Tolerance is leeway from a specification when making parts. Many of the AKM variants were tightly regulated on their allowed tolerance. Finnish Valmet vs Romanian WASR is a good example.
View Quote

Thank you, now I don't have to type that up myself.

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

1 Exists: The stock you want

3 is coming in a version from Circle 10 as well ( I designed it for them )

http://www.km3solutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/untitled.177.jpg
View Quote

Yeah I found that stock last week, should have posted a followup here.

That grip looks pretty cool, but doesn't have the features I described that were my reason for suggesting the grip. Kinda looks like the zenitco grip or one of the knockoffs i've seen (that were a metric ton cheaper than the zenitco).
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#46]
-x54r Vepr with proper double stack mags
-Molot AKM and 74, no interest in HBAR and heavy receiver
-proper US made FCG
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#47]
20" psl barrels and American made AK's with standard threaded barrels for commonly used muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:29:28 AM EDT
[#48]
How much did the SDVS set you back??
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Better optics mount options for the current AK?

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

That alone would be a quantum leap, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You should compare the tool sets used to make a stamped rifle with the tool sets to make a CNC and MIM rifle. Stampings have been losing ground to cheaper CNC and molded parts. I have a S&W Model 41 with a sheet metal follower, nowadays it is much cheaper to mold a follower or MIM one. Stampings require specialized dies that wear out. CNC does not generally require specialized tooling. MIM does not wear out molds. Sure joe blow can do a stamped receiver in his garage out of a shovel, but man hours equals dollars in manufacturing. Bottom line stamping is not the lowest priced route unless you are manufacturing in large quantities.
View Quote

"Tool sets used" are only one part of the cost though so, no, we should not simply consider tool sets. Further, tool sets used (currently) and tool sets required are not nearly the same thing. The industrial base and CAPEX to produce the equipment needed to make a stamping is FAR below that to make a CNC and MIM product.

Now, since you brought economies of scale into the picture, are you then arguing that AK's are low volume products and it's near peers are high volume products thereby making the AK more expensive? If so, I'd love for you to back that up with some production numbers. As for your issue with tolerances, engineering tolerance is indeed range acceptable when making a part which is what we would be looking at on the manufacturing side. The design side would have dealt with clearances. My post dealt with manufacturing as it related to the design not vice versa. The manufacturing of AK's is indeed inexpensive because the design accommodates large amounts of leeway in production specifications. Simply because one variant MAY have better QC resulting in tighter tolerances does not change this in slightest. It's like saying AR's are astronomically expensive because some boutique makes a highly modified version which costs $3k when Colt or FN turns them over for $600.
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top