BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/1/2017 5:55:13 PM EDT
Who knows how long...free shipping on some. PSAK47
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
They have been in stock every day for a few hours at a time. I suspect they are releasing a limited quantity per day, probably so they are not all hoarded up all at once.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll probably try to snag one in March, for that kind of money, I'll gamble.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad to see PSA move into this space and hope they make a great product and succeed wildly!

In the past, my concerns with PSA were spotty sourcing and spotty quality around their AR product lines.  I heard more complaints about PSA quality than just about anybody else.  I also heard how great the customer service was, which offset the QA issues just a tiny bit.  So, why not source or manufacture correctly in the first place and avoid customer service issues?  I hate having to send anything back, I want it right the first time.  That's the past.

Now, here we are in this time and place. I hear relatively few problem complaints, they have figured out their product line and pricing structure, and continue to have a great reputation for customer service.  

In the past, I have steered away from them for the reasons listed above, but have no trepidation in buying from them at this point.  Now, I just have to figure out which version to buy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm glad to see PSA move into this space and hope they make a great product and succeed wildly!

In the past, my concerns with PSA were spotty sourcing and spotty quality around their AR product lines.  I heard more complaints about PSA quality than just about anybody else.  I also heard how great the customer service was, which offset the QA issues just a tiny bit.  So, why not source or manufacture correctly in the first place and avoid customer service issues?  I hate having to send anything back, I want it right the first time.  That's the past.

Now, here we are in this time and place. I hear relatively few problem complaints, they have figured out their product line and pricing structure, and continue to have a great reputation for customer service.  

In the past, I have steered away from them for the reasons listed above, but have no trepidation in buying from them at this point.  Now, I just have to figure out which version to buy.
View Quote

That's odd. In my experience (on the AR side) their quality has been great and the customer service sucked.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's odd. In my experience (on the AR side) their quality has been great and the customer service sucked.
View Quote

Well then, your personal experience is important and takes precedence as it is first hand experience.

I have very limited personal experience and have read lots of complaints about their products that seem to praise their CS is the same breath they complained about the products.

Do you have any info about their AKs?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:35:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Pass.

One can buy a real commie Bulgarian SLR107R fixed stock AK for $100-150 more
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pass.

View Quote

this
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well then, your personal experience is important and takes precedence as it is first hand experience.

I have very limited personal experience and have read lots of complaints about their products that seem to praise their CS is the same breath they complained about the products.

Do you have any info about their AKs?
View Quote

Not for the new ones.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pass.

View Quote

They really screwed up by using a 90 degree gas block too, they got that close to a true Bulgarian AKM and blew it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They really screwed up by using a 90 degree gas block too, they got that close to a true Bulgarian AKM and blew it.
View Quote

I do prefer the 45 degree GB,but the 90 doesnt bother me enough to make a difference.

I doubt it will effect sales as this rifle will be a hot seller once dealers get the rifles and we see $800 price tags instead of the full retail pricing K-Var is asking
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got a PSAK47 blem, $649. No problems with it so far with about 300 rounds down the tube.
I did replace the trigger with a Tapco G2. I realky like that Melonite barrel. Accuracy is good for an AK.
FWIW I bought 20 of those Croatian blem mags too. The first two I opened did not work in the PSAK.
They wouldn't lock in and will have to be fitted.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is no such thing as a "true Bulgarian AKM."
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Well the Bulgarian akm variant at least.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. A 45 degree gas block would have been awesome.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:25:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The pics of the PSA show 45 degree and the KVar are 90.
I am an AK novice.  Does it matter in terms of function?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The pics of the PSA show 45 degree and the KVar are 90.
I am an AK novice.  Does it matter in terms of function?
View Quote

Not really, no.

In my opinion, K-VAR should have just gone with a 24mm FSB to match the 90-degree GB. Then, the 107R would truly be a fixed stock FR.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:12:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Guys, caution on the PSA barreled receiver. Go to akfiles to see all the shitty problems (I bought a Non-Blem barreled receiver and it is a total POS - info/pics were posted on that forum).

Yg
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:53:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Guys, caution on the PSA barreled receiver. Go to akfiles to see all the shitty problems (I bought a Non-Blem barreled receiver and it is a total POS - info/pics were posted on that forum).

Yg
View Quote

Link ?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Akfiles psa kit link

Some of the complaints are mag catches not being riveted, possible cast bolt carriers, unable to seat surplus mags, and that the kits currently being sold are not the same that akou reviewed. Several people have said they contacted PSA but they have yet to reply to the issues in the thread even though it shows them viewing it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Link ?
View Quote

Idk how to put a link on- but just google akfiles then hit the ak47 tab. I bought a non-blem receiver and  I cannot tell what material is used for the carrier. Many times it was repeated no cast was used. Well, mine sure looks cast. Then there is the "proprietary" double hand guard notches for a new hg PSA is coming out with....? My build kit arrives today but I may hold off putting it together if PSA doesn't answer questions or emails.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#22]
My barreled receiver kit comes in today. I'll assemble everything and see where it's at on the "all jacked up" scale. After seeing all the pics of issues, I don't have much confidence in the PSA kit. I have a crappy cell phone, but I still might take pics of any issues I find and post them. I'll give them a chance to fix any issues but, if the issues are severe, I'd rather have a refund and put that money towards a WASR or Arsenal or Vepr. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones and get a good kit, but I'm not optimistic.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Use the 3 links of chain icon next to the bird in the reply box.

Easy peasy.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My barreled receiver kit comes in today. I'll assemble everything and see where it's at on the "all jacked up" scale. After seeing all the pics of issues, I don't have much confidence in the PSA kit. I have a crappy cell phone, but I still might take pics of any issues I find and post them. I'll give them a chance to fix any issues but, if the issues are severe, I'd rather have a refund and put that money towards a WASR or Arsenal or Vepr. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones and get a good kit, but I'm not optimistic.
View Quote

Very interested in how your carrier looks. That's my main issue. As long as my hg goes on tight, its whatever about the notches. But to claim no cast parts then ship out a cast carrier. No good...
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Very interested in how your carrier looks. That's my main issue. As long as my hg goes on tight, its whatever about the notches. But to claim no cast parts then ship out a cast carrier. No good...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

likewise. my kit has the double notch but the handguard fits tight. my main concerns are the carrier is most certainly cast, and the rear piece on the recoil assembly (the part that you push to pop off the dust cover. ak newb here) is getting beat up by the carrier or carrier tail. in fact, whatever is contacting it will stick in the opening and keep the carrier from going forward if hand cycling slowly. my initial uninformed opinion of the rifle when i shot it was the recoil spring was weak. maybe i was correct and that is allowing something to beat up the rear of the recoil assembly. i dont have the rifle on hand right now to look at it, my ak buddy is checking it over.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I just wish one of my emails, messages on here, or my phone call yesterday would be answered. They have went completely silent on both here and akfiles
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Here's a link to PSA's response on akfiles.

PSA Response
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#28]
nice. i emailed them, we'll see
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Head spacing issues? I'm glad they are trying to remedy the situation though. Better than no answer at all-
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Head spacing issues? I'm glad they are trying to remedy the situation though. Better than no answer at all-
View Quote

curious about this too. being new to AK's i don't know
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

curious about this too. being new to AK's i don't know
View Quote

Just read that there won't be any headspacing issues- I am new to ak's as well (will be my first one when i get the right parts)- looks like they are trying to do right by us.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just read that there won't be any headspacing issues- I am new to ak's as well (will be my first one when i get the right parts)- looks like they are trying to do right by us.
View Quote

yep, we'll see.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#33]
[b]Quoted:[/]
Well the Bulgarian akm variant at least.
View Quote

like this?

SLR108

I agree about this new addition. Can't stand the GB. Completely ruins the look of the rifle, and I certainly won't be buying.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok, so I finally got my barreled receiver kit in and assembled. I used an ALG trigger assembly, ALG recoil spring, and ALG high energy main spring. Here are a few notes I took:

Barrel notch - my barrel did have the double notch like everyone else's. It was hard to get the lever down, but I used a hard plastic punch and small rubber mallet to get it in place. It locked up very well.

Bolt carrier - I can't tell one way or the other but I think it's cast. It also has a roll pin. It looked ok, but I'm new to AK's and wouldn't notice minor issues anyway.

Attachment Attached File
  Attachment Attached File

Hand guard - I have the red wood set and had to trim a bit from the lower handguard so the upper handguard/gas tube would fit. Luckily, one of my hobbies is woodworking so I grabbed a wood chisel and solved that issue.

Stock - my stock wobbles. Also, and this really irked me, I didn't have the correct screws to attach the stock to the receiver. The 2 screws included with the build kit were for the butt plate. Luckily, again, I anticipated this and ordered 2 stock screws from ak-builder the other day and they came in today. That helped, but the stock still wobbles. I'm tempted to drill a 3rd hole and order another screw and see if that stabilizes the stock. Otherwise, I'll just change the furniture out for some Magpul stuff.

After I got everything assembled, I test fired 10 rounds of mixed Tulammo and Winchester white box. I had no failures of any kind. I used a Magpul magazine along with a new Polish surplus magazine I got from ak-builder. Both locked up very well in the magwell with virtually no wobble in any direction. I was very pleasantly surprised about that. I'll likely be buying more of those Polish surplus mags. Also, it seemed accurate, but I didn't have time to shoot more or set up targets. I shot from around 20 yards and hit what I was aiming at every time (wasn't wildly off-target like some have experienced). That's not to say I won't have issues at longer distances, but that will have to wait for another day.

I disassembled after shooting to check things out and here's what I noticed:

There's a nick on the upper left curved part of the safety bar. It's so shallow I can't even feel it. I don't know if it'll be an issue, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Attachment Attached File

On the bolt, there is a tiny burr where I think it's hitting the safety bar, but I could be wrong about that. As I said, I don't know enough about AK's yet. You can't really see it in this pic, but here's a pic anyway.

Attachment Attached File

Other than that, it actually looks pretty good. I may be one of the lucky ones. All rivets look good. I haven't noticed any pins walking out, but I haven't shot it much either. Overall, I'm fairly happy - at this point. That may change with more shooting.

Attachment Attached File

Edit: I've added some crappy pics I took with my crappy phone. Some are blurry, but maybe they'll give everyone an idea of the things I've noticed so far.

Edit #2: A few people mentioned that if they rode the charging handle/bolt carrier home instead of just pulling back and releasing, or if they just pull back partly and release, it would hang up shortly before going into battery. Mine goes all the way in whether I release it or slowly let it return. The ALG recoil spring may or may not have helped with that. Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here's a link to PSA's response on akfiles.

PSA Response
View Quote

NOT COOL!

Now they are saying the $399 barreled receiver is supposed to have a cast bolt carrier. I am glad I did not buy one yet.

The CMO at shot to Rob Ski said " there are no cast parts on this", @ 2:35 -

Palmetto State Armory, Shot Show 2017

Another one here @ 2:15 -

I've spent thousands of dollars with PSA last year. This is really disappointing PSA!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There is no such thing as a "true Bulgarian AKM."
View Quote

That's my point, if they used a 45 degree gas block, it would be a Bulgarian AKM.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I almost bought one of the blem barreled receivers.  I guess I'll wait for gen 3.

I need a new cc piece and Shields have been on sale lately for similar prices,  so....
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#38]
It's funny how they announce that the ones on the site currently have cast bolt carriers and now they are always in stock.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I find it interesting they now call these the GB2 Freedom, which is apparently different than the normal GB2.  These have nitrided barrels and cast BCG, the normal GB2s are melonite and make no reference to a cast BCG.

I'm not vehemently anti-casting either, as casting has come a long way since 1947 as have metals... but when you say "no cast parts" you better deliver a gun with no cast parts.  Shipping it with cast parts when you said you wouldn't and suddenly unveiling two tiers of product when you get called on it is crappy.  Especially when people have trouble with said cast parts or bought it specifically because they didn't want cast parts.  I nearly bought one but decided to wait and see, wound up being a good call... I feel bad for anyone stuck with one though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I find it interesting they now call these the GB2 Freedom, which is apparently different than the normal GB2.  These have nitrided barrels and cast BCG, the normal GB2s are melonite and make no reference to a cast BCG.

I'm not vehemently anti-casting either, as casting has come a long way since 1947 as have metals... but when you say "no cast parts" you better deliver a gun with no cast parts.  Shipping it with cast parts when you said you wouldn't and suddenly unveiling two tiers of product when you get called on it is crappy.  Especially when people have trouble with said cast parts or bought it specifically because they didn't want cast parts.  I nearly bought one but decided to wait and see, wound up being a good call... I feel bad for anyone stuck with one though.
View Quote

I was pissed about the whole cast carrier thing and really pissed about how they were handling it initially, but if they make it right and I get my forged carrier, I'll be happy with my purchase. Other than the carrier, mine was pretty nice. Still won't be happy with them as a company and I will think twice before spending my $$ with them in the future. The whole situation seemed too shady to be coincidence.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:35:52 PM EDT
[#41]
This is my surprised face that a PSA product has gone south...............again.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, I'm an idiot. I quit after four.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I was pissed about the whole cast carrier thing and really pissed about how they were handling it initially, but if they make it right and I get my forged carrier, I'll be happy with my purchase. Other than the carrier, mine was pretty nice. Still won't be happy with them as a company and I will think twice before spending my $ with them in the future. The whole situation seemed too shady to be coincidence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was pissed about the whole cast carrier thing and really pissed about how they were handling it initially, but if they make it right and I get my forged carrier, I'll be happy with my purchase. Other than the carrier, mine was pretty nice. Still won't be happy with them as a company and I will think twice before spending my $ with them in the future. The whole situation seemed too shady to be coincidence.

I was told by PSA today once finally responded to my email. I will shoot my AK until I have issues. I have a cast carrier, they say it is supposed to be that way even though in every video, they say no cast parts. they don't even list a cast carrier on their website.

Joshua,

Your rifle is the same as the one tested by Robski.  It has a billet bolt and front trunion, with a cast carrier and rear trunion.   If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Joe Weir
Palmetto State Armory
2121 Old Dunbar Road, West Columbia, SC  29172
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:54:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Came here to warn everybody, looks like you have already been warned...
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is free shipping back to PSA too. Lol!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i lol'd
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Pass.

View Quote
But those are stamped AKM-style  and have synthetic furniture.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:20:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
But those are stamped AKM-style  and have synthetic furniture.
View Quote

The PSA's are stamped AKM pattern as well.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top