Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/17/2017 10:03:55 PM EDT
I finally got my pre 41p stamp to build my 12.5" AK.

I am going to build what will amount to an AMD65 with a triangle folding stock.  My only problem is the stock.  I have been waiting around for a manufacturer (I think it was supposed to be ddi that said they'd have an American made triangle folder and trunion available by June last year, iirc) to make the stock.  I haven't seen anything from them, and emails have been unanswered.

I have seen the stocks available from Ak builder, but I've not seen reviews of them.  I know a while ago people had issues with the trunions being soft, but it seems like I read somewhere that they fixed that issue.

Can anyone suggest where I should get my stock from?  I'm excited to get this build started, but I'm not in a hurry, and I want to make sure I get to build what I want.

Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not use Russian or Bulgarian? Not necessarily cheap but industry standard so speak, and plentiful. Zero chance of it being soft or out of spec somehow plus no waiting

Z
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Where's a good place to get them?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where's a good place to get them?
View Quote

"russian surplus" might be a nice phrase to plug into the ol' googly machine.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Also Legion USA

I would check with Alex at Russian Surplus first. He's a stand up guy and many of have us have spent a ton of money over the years with him
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Also Legion USA

I would check with Alex at Russian Surplus first. He's a stand up guy and many of have us have spent a ton of money over the years with him
View Quote

Just be advised he's out until 21 January so may not respond until then.  So if you send something and don't hear back for a couple days, try to avoid blasting all the forums about how he doesn't care about sales and is a big mean jerkface.  

On a more serious note I've done business with him a few times and always come out a very happy camper.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]
manticore arms?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Prices are not so bad, considering the Taiwanese one is ~$200 IIRC.

Any reason to go 4.5mm over 5.5mm or vice-versa?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Not really no. The Russians went to 5.5mm to help with the longevity of millions of rifles in service but for the likes of us, no, it wouldn't have any practical effect

Just have a PG plate installed so that if you do ever drop it with the stock folded you'll have the best chance to not warp the receiver in the unlikely event it strikes hard directly on the pistol grip

Z
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#10]
You're referring to the plate that welds to the inside of the receiver above the pistol grip?

like this?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes sir that is the one
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Great!  Now I just have to decide on the polymer stock or the triangle stock I was originally set on. Lol

Maybe I'll have to end up with both. Lol
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#13]
You will end up with both. There is literally no way to avoid it ;)
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#14]
May as well get an extra trunion then too. Lol
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
May as well get an extra trunion then too. Lol
View Quote

why would you need a second trunnion to swap stocks?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#16]
A second trunnion is just going to turn into a second rifle if you're anything like I am with AR parts.  I've had furniture sets lying around that I had to build into a new rifle before, so the second stock may even be too dangerous.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#17]
If I was going this route, I'd go with the 5.5 triangle stock, then buy a 5.5 poly stock to go with it. You see far more 5.5 poly stocks for sale then you do the triangle stocks, at least that's been my experience.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

why would you need a second trunnion to swap stocks?
View Quote

I have more parts kits. Lol
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Check out AK Builder.  They have the complete setup for under $175.  They are well-made and tough to beat.  I have one and it has zero issues.  

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30258

I recommend this one because if you want, at some point, to change your stock out for something else (AR stock adapter), most of the aftermarket adapters are made for the 4.5mm rear trunnions.  There aren't many stock adapters for the 5.5mm trunnion.

This one has an AK Builder setup:

Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Check out AK Builder.  They have the complete setup for under $175.  They are well-made and tough to beat.  I have one and it has zero issues.  
View Quote

Those are the Taiwanese manufactured units which have been questionable in the past.  Given the minor price bump by way of comparison to pick up an authentic proper Bulgarian unit, the knowledge that it wasn't made intended for airsoft is a big plus.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#21]
What is the difference in these two stocks/trunions?

I don't see anything different except the one talks about a push button and the stock is US made.

with push button

no push button?

Can I put a triangle stock on either one?

Thanks for the help.  Looks like I waited too long and the triangle stocks with trunions are gone.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#22]
tagged
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What is the difference in these two stocks/trunions?

I don't see anything different except the one talks about a push button and the stock is US made.

with push button

no push button?

Can I put a triangle stock on either one?

Thanks for the help.  Looks like I waited too long and the triangle stocks with trunions are gone.
View Quote

"With pushbutton" AK-LSFBHR is the original style 4.5mm folder that the Russians originally used, and the Bulgarians still use

"No pushbutton" AK-432R is the modern Russian 5.5mm with civilian folding trunnion and civilian retaining pin

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Is there a functional difference between the military and civilian trunnion?

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Not for us no. The civilian trunnions have linkages to prevent the weapon from firing with the stock folded but we do not install the additional components. It's purely an aesthetic/collector issue over here

Also the civilian trunnions are only Russian, and only for 5.5mm folders. Bulgarian and older Russian 4.5mm folders (and all Russian AKSU's) do not have a civilian version

Z
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#26]
That clears it up. Thank you.

I'm guessing that it's easier to find a 4.5mm triangle folder than a 5.5mm?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I have used both a genuine Bulgarian stock/trunnion kit and the AK builder Taiwanese kit. I had to remove .025 from each side of the Taiwanese trunnion, and re chamfer the rivet holes, to fit it in the 1.5mm receiver. the trunnion was defiantly not soft, and the welds on the Taiwan stock look better. I'd have no issues using another kit from AK builder, oh yeah here's pics the M85 has the AK builder kit the M92 has the Bulgy kit.

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I see some of you folks mentioning that some of the other manufactured traingle stocks are using "soft" steel. I have a Taiwanese made triangle stock for an AK74 build. Is the g2g or is it one of the lesser quality steels? 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I see some of you folks mentioning that some of the other manufactured traingle stocks are using "soft" steel. I have a Taiwanese made triangle stock for an AK74 build. Is the g2g or is it one of the lesser quality steels? 
View Quote

The Taiwan stocks and trunnions are good to go, I've never read of one issue anyone has had when using them. before I bought the kit I did a lot of searching over at AKfiles and plenty of respected builders have used them with no issues. I'm thinking the members in this thread are mistaking the Taiwanese stuff for those soft POS trunnions built by DPH.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That clears it up. Thank you.

I'm guessing that it's easier to find a 4.5mm triangle folder than a 5.5mm?
View Quote

Probably yes. There have been a large influx of Russian/Soviet 4.5 triangle stocks on the market recently, however there are enough 5.5 triangles in circulation you shouldn't have to look too long.

Z
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You will end up with both. There is literally no way to avoid it ;)
View Quote

I often wonder who has the bigger parts bin, AK or AR owners. I look at my parts and I think my AK shit doubles my AR shit.

For the OP, AKB's Taiwanese triangle folder and trunnion are fine. I have one on my AMD-65 kit and it serves its purpose well. However, it will probably end up being the only triangle folder in my safe unless I can fab up a cheek riser. It's okay for irons, but less than ideal for optics).
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I just ordered the 4.5mm hinge from k-var and a stock from a guy in the EE.  I'm right around $200 after shipping. (Good Lord k-var is proud of their shipping)

I still need to order a flat and reinforcement plate from ak builder.

I'm hoping to start building by Christmas. Lol
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I just ordered the 4.5mm hinge from k-var and a stock from a guy in the EE.  I'm right around $200 after shipping. (Good Lord k-var is proud of their shipping)

I still need to order a flat and reinforcement plate from ak builder.

I'm hoping to start building by Christmas. Lol
View Quote
If you call to place the order, they'll mail it usps to save you $$. Not sure why they don't offer that on Web orders.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If you call to place the order, they'll mail it usps to save you $. Not sure why they don't offer that on Web orders.
View Quote
They do.

Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Shipping was $17 on just the trunnion/kit
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They do.

View Quote
It didn't give me the option to ship via anything but UPS when I placed an order about a month ago. Maybe doesn't show up on the mobile browser? Either way, I called and placed the order and it saved me on shipping.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It didn't give me the option to ship via anything but UPS when I placed an order about a month ago. Maybe doesn't show up on the mobile browser? Either way, I called and placed the order and it saved me on shipping.
View Quote
You ask for the cheapest shipping option in the order comments. It'll show the UPS option in your order confirmation, but your card will clear with the cheaper shipping option.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Every time I order from KVar, every single time, I put in the comments that their shipping prices are outrageous. No one has ever replied or called me before, but on this last order of floor plates I noticed they knocked 10 bucks off the shipping

Z
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You ask for the cheapest shipping option in the order comments. It'll show the UPS option in your order confirmation, but your card will clear with the cheaper shipping option.
View Quote
Thanks, good to know
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#40]
On small items, K-Var will sometimes adjust the shipping expense. Not always, as they don't seem consistent in doing so.
K-Var doesn't offer USPS on their site during checkout. I no longer use their site to place orders. I call them,
and choose the shipping method. FWIW, K-Var will have a new website soon.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
On small items, K-Var will sometimes adjust the shipping expense. Not always, as they don't seem consistent in doing so.
K-Var doesn't offer USPS on their site during checkout. I no longer use their site to place orders. I call them,
and choose the shipping method. FWIW, K-Var will have a new website soon.
View Quote
I've never been denied the cheaper USPS option in all the years I've ordered from them. Granted, I've never ordered a rifle from them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#42]
I received my stock. It is quite a bit smaller than I was expecting.

Is there a rubber butt pad that will screw/bolt onto these stocks?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
https://www.legionusa.com/buttpad-for-ak-100-triangle-buttstock.html
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
https://www.legionusa.com/buttpad-for-ak-100-triangle-buttstock.html
I've used these with triangle folders as well: http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/AK-RUBBER-BUTTPAD-UTG-p1572.htm

They work with underfolders and the wire-style sidefolders too.  I find it makes the length just right for them.

The Legion one looks like it allow the stock to latch in the folded position though.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top