Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2016 5:22:23 PM EDT
I think with an AR mag adapter thier pretty neato and would use one. After handling an M4 for the past year I just don't like it that much.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Although I really like 5.56 AKs, have two and parts to build a third, they are not without their drawbacks.

There are multiple magazine standards for the rock-in type rifles. Some countries made 5.56 AKs that utilize AK-74 mag dimensions, while others utilize AK mag dimensions. As an example if you buy an SLR-106, it will use Bulgarian or Polish 5.56 magazines, which fit into an AK-74 spec mag well. However you will not be able to use Galil, Yugo, or German Weiger magazines, and so on. However some of the 5.56 AKs that use standard AK mag well dimenions, can use the AK-74 spec 5.56 magazines once the magazines have undergone some modification.  You can see how this can get confusing.

The aftermarket AR mag wells for 5.56 AKs are hit or miss, especially the ones for Saiga rifles, which were really popular a few years back. These require heavy modification to the rifle, and it sometimes goes wrong. There have been a few people out there that ended up with a cracked front trunnion on a Saiga .223 after adding an aftermarket mag well, due to the amount of material that must be removed from the trunnion.

If you just want a factory 5.56 AK that uses AR mags, most people seem to be happy with the Zasatava M90NP and M85NP, which have the mag well installed at the Zastava factory. I belive the M90NP passed the AKOU torture test and they had zero issues with the polymer mag well, which passed every drop test they threw at it.

The M90NP also has a 3-position adjustable gas system which is a good feature for tuning the rifle to different ammo types or a suppressor.

What I do like about 5.56 AKs... All of the benefits of the AK-74 platform - e.g. light recoil and muzzle rise, superior ballistics over 7.62x39, lighter ammo weight - as well as the added benefit of being able to share ammo with ARs, not have to worry about imported ammo affecting the supply for the rifle, and be able shoot a wide variety of ammo loadings, including Russian steel-case .223 which is the same cost as new production 5.45x39.

That being said if you are not an AK guy there is not a whole lot of reason to get one, given how cheap and reliable modern ARs are. I wanted a M90NP for a long time, but when they became available, AR prices had tanked so deeply that I was able to build both a 20" A4 and 11.5" AR pistol for just a little bit more than a single M90NP. That is before even getting into the consideration of quality side optics mount if you want to attach a red dot or scope - the AR already has that built in to the upper.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:29:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think with an AR mag adapter thier pretty neato and would use one. After handling an M4 for the past year I just don't like it that much.
View Quote

I agree. I like the concept, not sure though exactly what to make of guns with magwell adapters like the Yugo M90P overall. Some seem fine, but it seems the reviews are mixed (but often that is the case with Century unfortunately). As far as I can recall, the only M16/AR15 mag well converter that is pretty much universally known to be 100% reliable back in the day was the UA mag adapter for ORIGINAL IMI commercial Galils (I had one it was great). I understand things are changing these days, but personally I am not 100% convinced that  the M16 magwell conversions out there for 5.56 AKs are as stone cold reliable as some would like to think. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea, but people definitely have screwed some of them up.

I also am pretty tired of ARs, but certainly do not feel like right now investing again into 7.62x39 and would like to stay with 5.56 and/or .308 calibers only. I also can't believe I am saying this, but I actually MISS these days being able to use AK iron sights. Weird, I know.

Anyway, here are some things  I think you really need to know if you want to get into the 5.56 AK game.

First of all, please be aware that to the very best of my knowledge, as of right now, there are very, very few current, consistent manufacturers of non-sporterized AK rifles and pistols in 5.56/.223 caliber. I'm not talking about small or limited runs, or conversions done here and there of , I'm talking about factory produced guns on a large commercial scale  (If I am mistaken on this, someone please correct me).

The Zastava M90P imported by Century has been discontinued, and also the pistol versions as well AFAIK. Kvar  still has some SLR106 rifles left for now, but they have been discontinued...when they are gone, they are gone (until or unless KVar decides to bring them back for a limited run, or "finds" some in a warehouse lol). The SLR 106s also only come with a 10 round mag, which is absolutely ridiculous considering it's like a $1000+ gun. If you get the SLR 106 realistically you'll need either Polish 5.56 mags which are around $25 or so used before shipping, or the more expensive factory Arsenal "Circle 10" mags, which most of the time are going to be around $43-$50 after shipping. Not horribly priced, but not cheap either! It is possible too that you *could* have issues with the $1000 Arsenal AK, like excessive cant of the front sight/gas block, stuff that you would not necessarily expect on such an expensive gun.  Not saying that you will, or that such things aren't fixable, I've had overall pretty good experiences with the non-5.56 caliber Arsenals I've owned over the years, but you might not want to deal with that kind of a potential headache for something like this. Not all of the new old stock SLR 106s that are out there right now have the side accessory rail, if that is important to you.

To be honest, it seems to me that unless somehow we get more 5.56 AK rifles out there  ( milled or stamped) from Arsenal, Century (from Zastava, Cugir, or whoever!) or maybe Legion with their VEPR/RPK based rifles, more than likely most 5.56 caliber AKs for all intents and purposes will go away and just die off. I'm surprised really they have endured as long as they have. Yes, I know we just got the Galil ACE in .308 released and a 5.56 ACE that WILL take PMAGS is supposed to be out in 2017 (which is definitely a good thing), but they kind of are in a class of their own, or at least a markedly different animal than say an SLR 106. I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting into a proper AK in 5.56, if that is what you really want to try out, but do keep in mind what you are getting into.

Sorry for my long-windedness! This is of course entirely my own opinion, and I could be completely wrong. I really hope I am wrong, and we continue to see 5.56 AKs in this country for those who are not interested in 7.62x39/5.45x39, or just can't afford all of those calibers at once. Like I said I really like the concept of 5.56 AKs, but they've never been terribly popular here overall.  I don't think we will see it, but if somehow we can either get a Zastava M21 that can accept its own original mags, AND also accept a reliable, removable mag well adapter, or a Polish Beryl (done right this time) that also would offer a removable mag well adapter, 5.56 AKs could start gaining some real popularity if the price point isn't out of this world crazy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:18:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Didn't wanna deal with 556 ak mags, soooo....

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:24:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Didn't wanna deal with 556 ak mags, soooo....

http://i57.tinypic.com/ae1k4j.jpg
View Quote

Is that the Definitive Arms conversion magwell?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I have no desire to buy or build an ak in 223/556. I have seen a lot of 556/223 ak's with major problems. The affected rifles were made by name brand ak companies. When you can find ak mags in 223/556 that WORK you may have to pay a lot more for them. I am sure that there are people who are content with their 556/223 aks, but believe me there are many things that can go wrong. What is worse than an unreliable ak? I have ar uppers in 556 and 762x39. I have many aks in 762x39 and 545x39. I believe that the best platform for the 223/556 is the ar. The best platform for the 762x39 and the 545x39 is the ak. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you want to have a good time?

Clear the rifle in the vertical... slowly like you don't want to drop a round in the dirt.  What do you want to palm the cartridge.

5.56  is just small enough to go above the bolt and between the top cover.... and  drop into the internals.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#7]
What about the Norinco 84S rifles? Flawless function all the time... Plenty of mags

The issues mentioned above are, unfortunately, true as far as mags and reliable CURRENT producers of the 5.56 versions..
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you want to have a good time?

Clear the rifle in the vertical... slowly like you don't want to drop a round in the dirt.  What do you want to palm the cartridge.

5.56  is just small enough to go above the bolt and between the top cover.... and  drop into the internals.
View Quote

If this were a serious concern then there wouldn't be multiple 5.56 AK variants in active military service.

It's certainly a failure that I've never experienced, and just for shits I pulled out a couple 5.56 AKs and tried the above with snap caps. Ejected just fine no matter how slowly I pulled the carrier.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Not unless it is less than $450.  Any more and you might as well get another AR.

IMHO, as an iron sighted gun, AKs are better than ARs.  But the moment you try to put any type of optic on it (like every modern American should), AR wins out hands down.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a Wasr-3 (?) I think, which was the 5.56 version, and also have a 95 kit which I need to finish building.  Shooting 5.56 from an AK was fun, and I thought at first it would be easier to have the same ammo for both guns, but then I realized I could get 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 for cheaper than I was paying for my 5.56, and decided to save my 5.56 for my AR's, so I sold the Wasr, still have the kit I need to finish though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a Wasr-3 (?) I think, which was the 5.56 version, and also have a 95 kit which I need to finish building.  Shooting 5.56 from an AK was fun, and I thought at first it would be easier to have the same ammo for both guns, but then I realized I could get 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 for cheaper than I was paying for my 5.56, and decided to save my 5.56 for my AR's, so I sold the Wasr, still have the kit I need to finish though.
View Quote

When 5.45 surplus was not artificially inflated by EOs, this was true.  Now all three of those cartridges are basically the same price for steel-cased ammo.  However 7.62x39 appears to be making some dips lower than .20/rd again.

That being said I have had basically no issues shooting Wolf through my ARs as well. Just this last range trip I had my very first ammo-related stoppage that I can recall.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Had a Galil ARM and a Valmet 76 and both were excellent.
My current 5.56 AK pattern rifle is a VEPR which I like better than the others mentioned.

Convert it to use Circle 10 mags and never look back.....

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not unless it is less than $450.  Any more and you might as well get another AR.

IMHO, as an iron sighted gun, AKs are better than ARs.  But the moment you try to put any type of optic on it (like every modern American should), AR wins out hands down.
View Quote

I think I'm in agreement with you on these points, at least for 200 or 300 yds or so on average man sized targets or silhouettes  (some people have better eyes+skill than I and can do much better than that of course).  

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Had a Galil ARM and a Valmet 76 and both were excellent.
My current 5.56 AK pattern rifle is a VEPR which I like better than the others mentioned.

Convert it to use Circle 10 mags and never look back.....
View Quote

How hard was it for your original gun to be converted? I've seen some of the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 VEPR conversions and I think they look really good. If I could get a VEPR in 5.56 that took Circle 10 mags reliably and looked like one of these http://www.k-var.com/shop/FM-AK74-11.html  I think I'd be pretty content with that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How hard was it for your original gun to be converted? I've seen some of the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 VEPR conversions and I think they look really good. If I could get a VEPR in 5.56 that took Circle 10 mags reliably and looked like one of these http://www.k-var.com/shop/FM-AK74-11.html  I think I'd be pretty content with that.
View Quote

It was pretty much straight forward to convert.

I installed a 5.56 bullet guide ( drill & tap job)
Removed .035" from the magazine catch.
Circle 10 mags require just a touch of side clearance for proper fit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Circle 10 mags are excellent 5.56 mags.
Wieger steel mags are / were the best IMHO.

How to convert Wieger mags.....

Wieger mag conversion
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is that the Definitive Arms conversion magwell?
View Quote

Doesn't look like it, here's a pic of my slr106 with the Definitive Arms magwell.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently did a bunch of research on what to get for my first AK.
i have a plentiful supply of AR mags and heard the zastava M90NP was really good if you just pay attention to the later production having canted gas tube selectors and front sights.

I sold my sks and all the ammo I had for it, and bought the zastava. At first loved that it took my mags and it was early production (everything was lined up pretty well and squared away), but the mag release would hang and not let the mag drop unless you slapped it upwards first.
Okay, some work would need to be done, but I wanted to get a few rounds through it first.
Before I could get to the range, a norinco followed me home, so I took that as well.

While shooting, the 5.56 norinco was possibly the most fun I have had shooting, ever... well, the mk-19 probably tops that, but it was a lot of fun and as accurate as my M4 clone with green tip.
The zastava however, beat my face up so bad I thought it was tearing skin and putting a hairline fracture in my dang cheekbone after ten rounds. I tried all three gas settings and the difference was barely noticeable.
A buddy who was with me at the range stopped after three rounds and refused to shoot it again.

It was a sad day.

I ended up selling the zastava at $200 less than purchase price and ponied up a couple more dollars to buy another norinco (this time a re-furnatured mak-90) to do a Canis Adapter on (can't decide if I want the removable or the bastard) and hopefully make a good workhorse battle-rifle that takes the most common mags and one of the most common rounds in the states.

While I am quite familiar with the AR platform, I think I am liking the AK more due to simplicity and ruggedness.

I don't have much experience with the AK platform, but it has grown on me very quickly. Since I have zero interest in 7.62x39 as a round and have thousands of 5.56, I want to have an Ak that can make my M4 clone my number two choice if shtf.

I understand that my story is anecdotal at best, but I felt this would be the right place to share my experiences.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why? Hands down is a pretty big statement
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I know its hard for most (Americans) to conceive...but some people just don't prefer an AR.  I am as American as all of you and I sure as hell don't.  Want a 5.56 AK?  GET IT.  I have 5 and love them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Lightest recoil of any 5.56 gun in my arsenal...

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd very much love to have one, but not enough to pay for it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a WASR-3 and love it. Stocked up on Weiger magazines when they were around $30 a piece. Absolutely rock solid reliable and the ammunition commonality/availability is very convenient.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I dig my DA conversion.  But it's not for the faint of heart or light of wallet.

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Just throwing this out there.

I would occasionally get the urge to buy an SLR-106FR, but always came back to the fact my SIG 556 runs like a sewing machine and has never missed a beat. Put a lot of Swiss parts in it but only because I wanted to "Swissify" it, not that I had issues with the rifle itself. SIG 556ER, 556 Classic take AR mags, 551-A1 take Swiss mags.

So...it's another option to think about since at heart it *IS* a 5.56 AK....

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would occasionally get the urge to buy an SLR-106FR, but always came back to the fact my SIG 556 runs like a sewing machine and has never missed a beat. Put a lot of Swiss parts in it but only because I wanted to "Swissify" it, not that I had issues with the rifle itself. SIG 556ER, 556 Classic take AR mags, 551-A1 take Swiss mags.
View Quote

I bought an SLR-106FR just because I thought it was somewhat unique and thought it would be cool to have a 5.56 AK.  It was also 3 days after Sandy Hook and all the ARs were gone.  I bought 4 30-rd circle 10 mags for an outrageous sum.  I still don't know if it was a good buy or a stupid one - the SLR-106FR is somewhat rare these days I think, so it might have that going for it down the road.

I have a SIG556 too and it does run reliably, but is brutally overgassed and smashes the brass on the way out - hate that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been extremely happy with my Saiga223. I did the conversion myself so its set up exactly how I want it. I run a ACSS Holosun red dot on a RS regulate mount. The gun is just a joy to shoot, its also my current bedside home defense rifle.

I though about the AR mag adapter because I have a few ARs and plenty of AR mags. Then I started seeing the horror stories of people with cracked trunions. There really in no benefit of AR mags except for cost and availability. The design and lockup of an AK mag is much more durable than any AR mag. I ended up getting a bunch of M85 mags when they were dirt cheap and some circle 10s.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Arsenal 106 is what you seek.  Circle 10 mags are pricey.  You need no more than 4 or 5.  You aint going to wear them out .It would be hard for me to grab an Ak over my Ar  .But if i had  to , the AK shines in a 556 or 5.45  IMO wardawg
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Love it and never going back to an other 5.56 AK. I had a Yugo M90 Underfolder. Mags were hit or miss. Next rifle is the Ace 5.56.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I bought an SLR-106FR just because I thought it was somewhat unique and thought it would be cool to have a 5.56 AK.  It was also 3 days after Sandy Hook and all the ARs were gone.  I bought 4 30-rd circle 10 mags for an outrageous sum.  I still don't know if it was a good buy or a stupid one - the SLR-106FR is somewhat rare these days I think, so it might have that going for it down the road.

I have a SIG556 too and it does run reliably, but is brutally overgassed and smashes the brass on the way out - hate that.
View Quote

You may already know this but some of the early SIG 556 rifles had the gas port pattern in the gas puck drilled backwards, and many rifles came out of the box with gas set to the "emergency" setting which is the highest one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Get a 106FR and mags and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I have an Arsenal SLR-106FR.

Nice 5.56 AK except for the price of the Circle-10 mags (Magpul needs to make a 5.56 AK PMAG). I had to fit every one of the Circle 10 mags to my 106FR. Plus the 106FR is over-gassed with M193/M855 spec ammo so it kicks harder than with the Tula .223 that the 106FRs are supposedly set up for.

It runs fine with all except for the very noticeable diff in recoil. Also, it has the crappy black paint that Arsenal still refuses to improve on (as per the AKOU interview with Arsenal at the 2017 Shot Show).

The 106FR stock should fold to the right vs the left to avoid issue with the optic rail.

Lastly, the 106FR is over-priced but its a bizarre world that AKs are more expensive than very nice ARs.

If Arsenal fixed the three obvious mechanical/design issues, plus Magpul making a 5.56 AK PMAG I would rate it higher. Right now its a novelty compared to more capable AK and AR platforms.

If $$ are a limited factor I'd stick with a 7.62x39 AK. You'll be getting more rifle for the money.

My .02

BTW in the AKOU interview with Arsenal at the 2017 Shot Show Arsenal stated there will be no 106FRs on the horizon.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I think someone should make 5.56 AKs in the US and have them run off Mini-14 mags.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Arsenal 106 is what you seek.  Circle 10 mags are pricey.  You need no more than 4 or 5.  You aint going to wear them out .It would be hard for me to grab an Ak over my Ar  .But if i had  to , the AK shines in a 556 or 5.45  IMO wardawg
View Quote

Nice rifle
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I agree. I like the concept, not sure though exactly what to make of guns with magwell adapters like the Yugo M90P overall. Some seem fine, but it seems the reviews are mixed (but often that is the case with Century unfortunately). As far as I can recall, the only M16/AR15 mag well converter that is pretty much universally known to be 100% reliable back in the day was the UA mag adapter for ORIGINAL IMI commercial Galils (I had one it was great). I understand things are changing these days, but personally I am not 100% convinced that  the M16 magwell conversions out there for 5.56 AKs are as stone cold reliable as some would like to think. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea, but people definitely have screwed some of them up.

I also am pretty tired of ARs, but certainly do not feel like right now investing again into 7.62x39 and would like to stay with 5.56 and/or .308 calibers only. I also can't believe I am saying this, but I actually MISS these days being able to use AK iron sights. Weird, I know.

Anyway, here are some things  I think you really need to know if you want to get into the 5.56 AK game.

First of all, please be aware that to the very best of my knowledge, as of right now, there are very, very few current, consistent manufacturers of non-sporterized AK rifles and pistols in 5.56/.223 caliber. I'm not talking about small or limited runs, or conversions done here and there of , I'm talking about factory produced guns on a large commercial scale  (If I am mistaken on this, someone please correct me).

The Zastava M90P imported by Century has been discontinued, and also the pistol versions as well AFAIK. Kvar  still has some SLR106 rifles left for now, but they have been discontinued...when they are gone, they are gone (until or unless KVar decides to bring them back for a limited run, or "finds" some in a warehouse lol). The SLR 106s also only come with a 10 round mag, which is absolutely ridiculous considering it's like a $1000+ gun. If you get the SLR 106 realistically you'll need either Polish 5.56 mags which are around $25 or so used before shipping, or the more expensive factory Arsenal "Circle 10" mags, which most of the time are going to be around $43-$50 after shipping. Not horribly priced, but not cheap either! It is possible too that you *could* have issues with the $1000 Arsenal AK, like excessive cant of the front sight/gas block, stuff that you would not necessarily expect on such an expensive gun.  Not saying that you will, or that such things aren't fixable, I've had overall pretty good experiences with the non-5.56 caliber Arsenals I've owned over the years, but you might not want to deal with that kind of a potential headache for something like this. Not all of the new old stock SLR 106s that are out there right now have the side accessory rail, if that is important to you.

To be honest, it seems to me that unless somehow we get more 5.56 AK rifles out there  ( milled or stamped) from Arsenal, Century (from Zastava, Cugir, or whoever!) or maybe Legion with their VEPR/RPK based rifles, more than likely most 5.56 caliber AKs for all intents and purposes will go away and just die off. I'm surprised really they have endured as long as they have. Yes, I know we just got the Galil ACE in .308 released and a 5.56 ACE that WILL take PMAGS is supposed to be out in 2017 (which is definitely a good thing), but they kind of are in a class of their own, or at least a markedly different animal than say an SLR 106. I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting into a proper AK in 5.56, if that is what you really want to try out, but do keep in mind what you are getting into.

Sorry for my long-windedness! This is of course entirely my own opinion, and I could be completely wrong. I really hope I am wrong, and we continue to see 5.56 AKs in this country for those who are not interested in 7.62x39/5.45x39, or just can't afford all of those calibers at once. Like I said I really like the concept of 5.56 AKs, but they've never been terribly popular here overall.  I don't think we will see it, but if somehow we can either get a Zastava M21 that can accept its own original mags, AND also accept a reliable, removable mag well adapter, or a Polish Beryl (done right this time) that also would offer a removable mag well adapter, 5.56 AKs could start gaining some real popularity if the price point isn't out of this world crazy.
View Quote

Lots of good points here.

I've enjoyed mine and it's probably my favorite gun I own, but it's also become one of the most expensive guns I own.  And replacement parts are still almost non-existent.

DA Saiga by Damage Photos, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#36]
My Arsenal SA M5 is one of the nicest rifles I own.

Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:46:04 AM EDT
[#37]
why was the 5.45x39 even created if your going to shoot a 5.56 ak
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure if trolling.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe because the Russians created the 5.45x39 in response to the US 5.56?  And much later the US market asked for a 5.56 AK?  Duh?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#40]
The Mrs. just bought an M85-NP, been looking at them for a couple years, wanted to wait and see reviews before buying. Everybody seemed to be real happy with them, going to build it into a carbine for her similar to my M92.  Built like a tank, RPK-type front trunnion, chrome-lined barrel which most Zastava's don't have, feeds steelcase obviously....hard to go wrong buying combloc quality for 500 bucks these days. And AR mags being about 6-8 bucks these days doesn't hurt either.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#41]
When Arsenal released the 106 series more than a decade ago, I purchased three. All were jam-o-matics. I sent them back to have the guides worked on, I used the second generation waffles, they were still jam-o-matics. Prior to owning those three 106 rifles, I owned two Norinco models chambered in .223. They actually worked pretty good.

I'll never own another 5.56 AK. In fact I no longer own any 7.62 AK's. I've seen the light, and moved over to 5.45 some time ago.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#42]
It seemed appropriate to drop this here. 

Shooting NEW Chinese Norinco 84S AK Rifle
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LktggSmWfF8
View Quote

That kind of AK porn is always appropriate
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
after watching this I realized you are SATAN
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#45]
I have a Yugo M90 UF I built from a matching number kit i got years ago. Hell when I got it the Zastava warranty card was still wrapped around the barrel.

It shoots great, but it sits in my safe collecting dust as i never shoot it, I just wanted to build it because it is a sexy gun.

I honestly shoot my ARs more than my 7 AKs.

Free
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When Arsenal released the 106 series more than a decade ago, I purchased three. All were jam-o-matics. I sent them back to have the guides worked on, I used the second generation waffles, they were still jam-o-matics. Prior to owning those three 106 rifles, I owned two Norinco models chambered in .223. They actually worked pretty good.

I'll never own another 5.56 AK. In fact I no longer own any 7.62 AK's. I've seen the light, and moved over to 5.45 some time ago.
View Quote

I to bought a 106 in the first batch released 10 years ago. Mine jammed due to the ramp / chamfer entrance to the chamber . I got rid of it down the line for something else.  The bug hit me again and I got one in the last year. It's been 100% . The ramp  / chamber has been reworked by arsenal on this rifle .I have at least 1000 rounds through it at this point with no stoppages at all . The spent case looks good.The first version, the case would be gouged. This is a solid rifle . WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#47]
I have an early slr 106 F that I bought about 10 years ago.  Using only  black circle 10 and black beryl mags to date I have over 10,000 rounds down the barrel and have had only one FTE using all types of ammo.  I'd recommend it.  As someone else posted you only need two to four mags.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#48]
edited
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you have any of them left for sale? Steep price... but, soooooo tempting!

How about on-line prices for those mags!!???.. Wow.. glad I stocked up on 84s mags a long time ago.. I think I have about 14 or so.. plus maybe two 40's..
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I too like to shoot my guns. A few months ago I picked up a unfired Valmet M76 in .223 and shortly thereafter I took it to the range. Like your Chinese rifle, it is smooth as can be and, like all my Valmets, it is very accurate. The only other AK type rifle I have in 5.56 is a Galil which is another very smooth shooter.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top